Software
Houzz Logo Print
nigareen

which type of rh sectional cushion filling?

11 years ago
I'm going to make a biG purchase at restoration hardware, a large sectional in extra luxe depth.
my question is that which is better for our living room use, foam filled cushions or down filled. we liked the "sturdiness" of foam but do rh foams do well over the years? we r a family of four (me, my husband, a 4 year old boy and 1 year old) we do tend to have our big family over every weekend and throw a party once a month for 10+ friends.
I will have two wings back chairs on the other end of our room which I presume won't be used too much.
standard foam
down filled

Comments (11)

  • 11 years ago

    Standard foam is cheaper and won't wear as well as the down. However, some people have serious allergies to even "non-allergenic" feathers. High density foam can last a very long time and has no allergens. Down can get lumpy over time. One compromise is foam core with an outer layer of feathers or down. "Faux down," which is actually small balls of poly, mimics the feel of down, lasts a long time, and doesn't have the allergens.

  • 11 years ago
    I doubt they have the foam+down option. but they advised us to go for foam without worry. I just want to see if anyone had a problem with rh foam
  • 11 years ago

    We had foam when we ordered our "extra firm" Thomasville sofa and it's really not that firm after 5 years. I would think down would be very soft to sit on. Depends what you want, but whatever you choose it will get softer with use.

  • 11 years ago
    @angel apart from firmness, did the look of the sofa change because of that? we don't mind if it feels used as long as we don't end up with strained limbs and trunks because of deteriorating foam.
    I've had stuff from crate and barrel which seems to be losing its shape after only 6 months of use!
  • 11 years ago

    No sofa did not change the look because we ordered `firmer` cushions. Just looked it up and it cost about $1,500.00 for the sofa. I think if you buy quality you will be a lot happier.


  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Just curious - how was your experience with RH? Still happy with Cloud sectional?

  • 5 years ago

    We ordered the down wrapped cushions on our leather RH sectional and it is too soft, has lost its shape and is hard on my back and posture. If I had to do over I would have ordered the foam cushions.

  • 5 years ago

    I love down and I had down wrapped cushions. It sinks and people have a hard time getting up off the sofa, especially older folks and your sofa will be wide making it more difficult. I took my cushions to an upholsterer. She changed them to foam. There are different grades of foam to choose from. So much better now. My son has a leather sofa with down cushions, and I bought him stiff styorofoam that you put in your cushion from Amazon. Their sofa cushions were too soft, shapeless, and they get old looking fast. Get FOAM you won't regret it.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Ordered down for three pieces of furniture. It’s needs fluffing daily and still looks sloppy. Ours is leather and we literally slide to the front of the seat. Fo for foam!

  • 3 years ago

    We purchased the RH Parisian sofa, with linen upholstery, and feather filled. After 2 months we exchanged the feather cushions to foam because the feathers were coming up and poking. We were forced to pull the feathers as they come up or sit on a blanket so that we wouldn’t feel the feathers. Additionally, the the shape of the sofa was changing after only 2 months. Love the sofa but the feathers we a bad choice for us. Great customer service through the whole process on the exchange.