Software
Houzz Logo Print
kavwho

"Need help beautifying my home!"

11 years ago

I am looking for ideas to improve the curb appeal of our home. Open to any ideas! HELP!


Comments (16)

  • 11 years ago

    Hire a landscape designer.


  • 11 years ago

    You need some curves to soften the lines of the house, the steps, etc. Larger lights on either side of the door, painting the trim and pediment the same color (looks like two colors in the photo) and updating the urns with something a bit more 21st. c. would help. Some taller evergreen bushes against the garage wall between that window and the house window, some plantings out in the yard, adding flowering plants to the steps, all would help. Changing out the little octagonal window up top would be a big help, too.


  • 11 years ago

    I am actually waiting to hear back from one. My husband wants to paint the brick. I would like to beef up the entry. I have been wondering if landscaping is enough. I would like to do any hardscape changes first.

  • 11 years ago

    Great ideas Sooz001. That octagonal window is not even real and no possibility of creating a window there. What should it be replaced with?

  • 11 years ago
    A columned arched ceiling portico looks really nice on a center hall colonial. Install larger light fixtures as sooz suggested. I also agree with changing out the tiny octagon window. It just doesn't fit, no offense.

    Then focus on landscaping including a couple that have or will have some height. You can pick up 5' - 6' tall emerald green Arborvitae at a big box lumber store or local garden center and they have a rapid growth (12" annually in northern states anyway).
  • 11 years ago
    And here is another example.
  • 11 years ago

    HI -- This is a beautiful stately house ... a classic ! You do not need to paint the brick and the current colors are good if you don't want to paint . Just paint the little octagonal vent /thing the same as the shutters or replace with a nice bigger cast medallion . You need a bigger pediment header over the entrance . Also cast headers over the windows and cast sills too. That is all the house really needs . For the landscaping I could see some feature trees such as flowering specimens and some tall column shape trees etc. And get the plantings more out into the yard and not all rammed up against the house . Much bigger lantern lighting and huge urns on each side of the bottom steps and perhaps some decorative dog statues where the little urns are now or fancy cast square box planters for a cultivated rose standards (small groomed tree). I could also see a fancy door with an oval lead glass center and beautiful big door hardware etc.

  • 11 years ago


    Huestis Tucker Architects, LLC · More Info


    CV Four · More Info

    A nice beefy portico and larger, properly sized shutters will really give the house presence. Personally, I'm a huge fan of painted brick and it's very popular in my area.

  • 11 years ago
    U am so happy right now! I appreciate all of your ideas. Lefty47, I like the stately look too and think your ideas would help enhance. can u post a pic of what u were thinking for above the windows and the medallion above door?
  • 11 years ago
    I also love the portico ideas. the door is already recessed and I was wondering if adding a portico would be too cave like. Most of the pics I have seen during my searches show the door flush with the main exterior.
  • 11 years ago
    Brick is such a lovely low maintenance material, you'll be paying thousands to repaint it every 10 years, much better to use that $ to pay for other improvements that have been suggested and leave the brick as is, it looks quite nice really.
  • 11 years ago
    I don't think it would look to cave like. Your recessed door adds character in my opinion. Also adding a portico versus just leaving the pediment will give the front more depth and an upscale look.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Good bones here. I would address you planting. You could add a couple of 'standard' trees like Lilac or Hydrangea on either side of the front porch. Maybe add a low hedge underneath the windows like dense yew or Boxwood. The wall space between the two window on the right; you could add a trellis and a climbing vine like climbing hydrangea or clematis (depending on amounts of sunlight). Consider moving those two planters down to the bottom step to create a more inviting feel to the entrance, and put some nice annuals in there, as well as something with a bit of height like an ornamental grass. Hiring a landscape designer is never a bad idea. And you can use ideas like mine, or your own to inspire this architect and help create your vision for them to put into a plan. Good luck!

  • 11 years ago

    red brick is a classic with white and black accents and trims. make sure the white is truly white and not cream, and the black is freshly painted

  • 11 years ago
    also, paint your white gutter downspouts to match the brick. the downspouts on each side of the second story really stick out in the image. also, it looks like each perpendicular side of the second story is painted white. if that is the case, paint it to match the brick.