Software
Houzz Logo Print
malba2366

Bluestar platinum vs Capital Culinarian

11 years ago

We are deciding on kitchen appliances for our upgrade and have already decided on the SZ 42 inch french door, and miele combo steam oven. Now we are looking at ranges and are somewhat torn between bluestar platinum and capital culinarian. I have played with both in the store and both seem to have very good build quality. What are some benefit/ downfalls to each model from people that have experience with them? Also, what range hoods work well with these super powerful ranges?

Comments (56)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    We shall see, I have been down this road before. But if we do end up selling BS again I intend to promote BOTH equally as well.

    People seem to think I promoted BS then changed to Capital when the CC launched. The fact is I have always wanted to promote and sell both BS and CC to the right customers depending on what fits their needs best.

    It does not help me or my potential customers to only offer 1 of the top 2 cooking ranges on the market, irrespective of which I think is the #1 or which manufacture thinks is the best.

    I can serve BS and CC customers equally as well. But time will tell....

  • 11 years ago

    So what are the reasons, in your opinion, cooks should choose the Bluestar over Capital, or vice versa?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    We recently part ways with bluestar on several very bad customer service issues they were unwilling to resolve. Capital while imperfect has always been responsive (Almo is an excellent distributor, bluestar is only factory direct).


    Specs are a wash most of the way down the line. The platinum oven will preheat faster, but that's about the only significant difference between the 2.


    As for hoods, the important part is CAPTURE AREA. We don't talk about it enough but it makes a ton of difference and is part of why Ventahood is as effective as they are. I would recommend a NPH18 from Ventahood. you can get that 27" deep as well if you are really concerned

  • 11 years ago

    I am also considering purchasing a 30 inch blue star or capital range. I am concerned that my hood CFM and capture area is not enough. My hood is from Modern Aire and it is 24 inches deep and 30 inches wide with a 600 cfm internal blower. I could not purchase a 36 inch hood because the cabinets butt right up against the hood.

  • 11 years ago

    can anyone speak to the BS RNB oven as to preheat times? keeping the temp constant? even baking with the use of 2 or more full sheet pans? thanks :)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    wekick.....The CC 30" manual clean range will hold a full size baking sheet

  • 11 years ago
    Trevor....When will you decide whether to sell Blue Star ranges?
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Should be a done deal by the end of the day today ..............

  • 11 years ago

    Trevor, I thought that April's 1st came a little early, but then I read your other post above and saw you're seriously considering selling BlueStar again. Please keep us posted...


  • 11 years ago
    Trevor....I live in Athens GA about 1 hour away from Atlanta. The only concern I have with purchasing a blue star range is good customer service. What are your thoughts on this? How do I find out whether Blue Star has service in my area?
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    The deal is done. I made an agreement with Mike Trapp from Bluestar this afternoon. We are now selling the BS line. As noted before I have always wanted to sell Bluestar. But we had disagreements which have now been resolved.

    We will finalize the display for the cooking school and showroom early next week.

    The benefit to me is, I can offer what are in my mind are the two best cooking ranges money can buy. More importantly I can offer my future customers the right range for them.

    Example

    You want Self Clean, Rotisserie, Dual Fuel, Conventional Wall oven or a softer more residential look..... BUY CAPITAL bluestar does not offer any of these features.

    You want Star Burners, Interchangeable grill griddle, Power Oven Pre Heat, The new BS Refrigerator or more commercial styled range ........BUY BLUESTAR capital does not offer these features.

    Bottom line......This move makes sense for my future customers.

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Charon70.....Firstly I have never failed to get service for any customer be it a BS or CC.

    The question your asking was an important part of my conversation with BS over the last week. Both Mike Trapp and I agreed that in order to get the best service from Bluestar for my customer, that I would check with Bluestar to make 100% sure service is available in the customers location. I will also furnish customer who buy from us with the service companies contact details.

    I will be doing this for my Capital customers also. I think they call it "belt and braces"

  • 11 years ago

    @trevorlawson: your on-again-off-again relationship with bluestar makes it difficult to understand whether you believe in that company or not.

    Did you not have an agreement with mike trap (pres of bluestar) a few years ago? Only to have a falling-out with bluestar at which point you stopped selling bluestar and started selling Capital?

    Why the change of heart?

    @malba2366: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2281798/bluestar-platinum-owners-how-is-your-range


  • 11 years ago

    hmmmm, did not "curiosity kill the cat' or was it a "Cass"?

    Gary

  • 11 years ago

    I think Trevor alluded to why he stopped selling bluestar in an above post where he states he always wanted to sell both Bluestar and Capital. Maybe Bluestar was not happy with his involvement with helping to design the Culinarian and cancelled his dealer agreement.

  • 11 years ago

    charon70, I went to school in Athens. I live in Newnan. I won't have any problem with getting service for my BS. Pretty much every service company will provide service to your area. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You will have an easier time of it because Athens has a larger population. They will send someone from Atlanta.

  • 11 years ago

    Trevor, I have contacted both euro stoves and Capital regarding whether I should purchase a culinarian and be able to get service in my area and have not yet heard back.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Jess give me a call must have slipped my mind...

  • 11 years ago

    This is an old post but it brings up a good question for me. I notice all you folks are on the East coast. How about Lis Angeles? Will I be able to get service for a BS or Capital here??? Trevor, can I purchase from you?

  • 11 years ago

    As mentioned, (in another post), The Range by Capital is made at its "Headquarters", Santa Fe Springs, CA, which is not that far from you.

    I live not far away from Capital, about 15 miles or so, even so, I would still buy the Range from Trevor, (assuming that's allowed), by their Distributor or whoever the "Partys That Be".

    Gary

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Sabine ... Yes you can buy from us even though you live in Los Angeles with no problem at all. As for service you could be close enough for factory service so I don't see any issues at all on that front .

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks Trevor. What about Bluestar service?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    If you get me your zip code i can find out exactly who would be servicing a BS and email you all the contact details.

  • 10 years ago

    Hi Trevor, I live in Houston, Texas and I would like to buy either the Bluestar or the Capital Culinarian from you. Both with 6 open burners.


    Which one do you recommend in terms of service?


    Thank You


  • PRO
    10 years ago

    That depends on where you live, if you can get me your city and zip code I will find out first who I feel will service your area better.

  • 10 years ago

    Hi Trevor:


    I live in Houston, Texas, zip code 77057.


    Thank You

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Bluestar answered me first thing this morning with a string service company in your area.

  • 10 years ago

    Oh ok, I was hoping for the CC. But the BS is good as well.

    Thank You, Trevor. Merry Christmas.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Capital came back with the same company so no problem with service

  • 10 years ago

    Oh good :) My house is set to be done in March so I will be contacting you soon for that purchase. Thank you, Trevor.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    watch out for price increase BS for sure has one in January

  • 10 years ago

    Really??? They are already really pricey!!!


  • 10 years ago

    This was an easy one for me. The wife (who doesn't do any cooking only cleaning) wanted the self-cleaning oven feature. Therefore, our only option was the Capital. I have had my Capital CC 36" for 3.5 years. The cooktop, broiler, self cleaning and rotisserie are amazing features. I had some issues with the oven and Capital is replacing the entire unit. Here is the thing. Whether you are interested in Capital or Bluestar you MUST and should buy through Trevor. Let me tell you why. I am not one of his customers. No, not at all. I live in Canada and purchased my CC in Toronto. However, Trevor was instrumental in giving me valuable advice about the range and how to place my hood prior to my purchase. In addition, when I had problems with my range, Trevor went out of his way to do me a favour to contact Capital on my behalf. He really didn't have to do that at all. For that reason alone you should buy all of your appliances through Trevor.

    Indeed the battle between Capital and Bluestar is all about the features. For me it started with the open burners. Both Bluestar and Capital have them. The next step in your decision is to really talk to Trevor at Eurostoves. http://www.eurostoves.com. 

  • 10 years ago

    Agreed. I dealt with Trevor for.. what.. over a year? We were waiting till our house started being built to order. Through all that, Trevor answered all my questions (and I had a LOT) and even made calls to Capital who then called me directly to discuss my concerns and needs. We were finally able to order my 48" CC about a week ago.

    Will update in a new thread when it is installed and the house is done and I get to USE it.. lol


    Thanks Trevor!



  • 9 years ago

    I am very pleased with my Capital MCOR366 I purchased after speaking with and then purchasing from Trevor Lawson. I looked at both the Bluestar and Capital at local showrooms. Found the fit and finish on the Capital to be superior. The real deal sealer for me was having 5 of 6 burners on the Capital rated at 25,000btu each on a $5,200 range vs. the Bluestar still not having that heat output on 5/6 burners for $1k more. After having used it for roughly a week now I can say that having that much heating power takes some getting used to and was well worth the money. Now being familiar with open burner ranges looking at the other premium brands you can tell that they're really just fancy looking but under performing home ranges with a huge price tag.

  • 9 years ago

    Amen to that. This thing is a BEAST! I have the MCOR484G2 and this thing can go from 0 to 60 in no time and then right back down when needed. It also has a HECK of a simmer burner.


    I was making fudge and the pot was perfectly clean when I melted the chocolate... not a single bit of burn.


    I tell ya, every day I think of things I can cook...it is like an addiction.. lol


    Right now, Pound cake in the oven!


    I always say, I can cook on a 200 dollar coil stove, but if you are gonna take a trip, may as well take it in a limo.. and THIS baby.. is a limo with a jacuzzi!.. lol


    Sorry.. having fun today :P


  • 8 years ago

    I am about to pull the trigger on the CGSR362B2 4 Open Burners and 12" BBQ.

    All the videos look great, and I've had a chance to use a neighbors for testing on an older 30" model.

    Can't decide if I want the Gas oven or go with a wall oven.

    My main concern there is getting a hot (550+F') oven for Pizza. I think I want to go with the simplicity of the GAS over the DF options.

    Love to know what people think of the Rotisserie and the BBQ grill plates on the 36" Culinarian.

    I am a little dismayed as it looks like a major local dealer in the Boston Area is no longer carrying Capital. It seems to be hard to find much information / reviews that are recent. I'd like to know that Capital will be around as a company for a long time and I can get service in the future if I need it in the Boston area.

    Looking for any new updates from Capital owners.

  • 8 years ago

    Well, I don't know about companies, just know that I have had my Capital for just over a year and I love it. Heck, these days...no telling WHO will be around for long. The people that built our house retired a month after they built our home and.. well.. so much for a warranty, right?



    The house is fine.. there is always insurance.. and the house.. we love it.


    If I had known Capital was going out of business.. I may have still bought it...that is how much I love it now.. heh


    No, they are not going out of business!... lol.. my point is.. get what you like. Don't over-think that. Appliance places stock and restock all sorts of brands at this level.


    Go to Eurostoves. They are still around and sell this and can support you no matter where you live... and they are not that far from you. We are in Texas and we went through them heh.


    Talk to Trevor.


    Russ


  • 8 years ago
    We are renovating a house and I had always thought I wanted a the 36” RNB blue star. But reading this thread I am now looking at the capital culinarian. We have no access to natural gas, only LP. thoughts? Trevor, I am in the 28036 ZIP Code area and I can’t find a dealer for capital. Can you help me make this decision? Thank you!
  • 8 years ago

    Trevor is awesome in that he will sell you what works FOR you, be it Capital or Blue. We had no access to Natural gas, so use propane.. I just now got off the phone with the propane people for my first propane order sine we bought the house.. lol


    We have a 48" Culinarian and we have a whole house water heater. Those are all that run off the propane and we cook a lot.. heh. We have only used 100 gallons of propane....total.. in 14 months. Heck, their minimum order is 125, so we have to wait.. lol


    Good luck with your decision and no matter what you get, you will have fun cooking, I promise.. heh.. I know we have!


    Oh, and we have people coming over in 2 weeks just to pre-cook meals for a sick friend.. and we plan to make a LOT of meals! I cooked for our HoA for Christmas.. we did 5 full loins.. stuffed, and we did not have any "room" issue..


    But... for a 36"...imo.. cast iron. This is a stove we will pass down to our kids.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Lilagill, if you have time give me a call 978-810-4038 and we can go over all the opitiins

  • 8 years ago

    Hi Russ! The stove we have now is a 30” four burner and I have no room! I am hoping the six burner 36” will fit my 2 15 inch all clad skillets along with two other regular size pots/pans. Right now I can’t make that happen. Can’t fry 8 eggs, make stewed apples, grits, and country ham all the same time! and I am so happy to hear that you don’t need to constantly fill up your LP tank! I hope ours is the same capacity as yours.

  • 8 years ago

    Hrm, I have my 15" cast iron skillet at the ranch. When we get back next week, I will take a picture of it on the stove, along with other stuff, so you can get an idea of "perspective"


    Russ


  • 8 years ago
    More questions on the 36” CC please… How many BTUs is the simmer burner? does the oven fit a full sheet pan? is it convection? Thanks!
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    8k btu , yes and yes :)

  • 8 years ago

    Trevor, we are in the middle of a floor-to ceiling kitchen remodel (yes, new 3/4" hardwood maple floors, and I am building all the cabinets - - 3/4" tongue-and-groove boxes with solid black cherry face frames and raised panel doors) and want to upgrade our range. Our kitchen is a smallish L-shaped one. Currently, we have a Frigidaire Pro (sealed burner) series range, and it is so anemic on burner output that I had to re-jet (a.k.a. drill out larger holes in the orifices) to achieve an 8-minute boil of 6 cups of water on the "Power Burner". Total joke of a cook top, but it was what we could afford back then. So, I plan to peddle this unit at some point, but want to purchase either a 30" or 36" range through you. Are there currently any incentives being offered on BS or CC? Also, please chime in on service situation for both in the 43040 zip code. Thank you sir for being a strong customer advocate in the lines you sell.

  • 5 years ago

    Hi Everyone,
    We are upgrading our kitchen and I am interested in. 48 inch open burner stove. I am trying to decide between blue star and capital. I am wondering about evenness of the burners. I currently have a midrange GE stove and I cannot stand it because the burners heat unevenly. The rear half of the front left burner is significantly hotter than the front half. Is there a significant advantage to the star shaped burner vs capitals round burners with respect to evenness? I am also interested in how easy it is to control burner output. By this I mean how gradual are the burner attenuators programmed. On my current stove basically most of the control between high and low is actually between 2 and 3. From 3 to high there is not that much change in heat output. Also how low are all of the burners able to go. Any time I need to cook something on low do I have to move it to the summer burner or do all the burners get quite low? Last question is about how powerful is the griddle on the capital stove and do you find it particularly useful?
    Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

  • 5 years ago

    I would look at some of the more recent comments on this forum for Capital. I thought they had closed or were close to it and then read it was sold so not sure where they are. In no way would I buy the dual fuel.


    Are you looking at the BS platinum or RNB?

    What type of cookware do you have? Some is better than other for evening the heat from the burner.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    @wekick for whatever it's worth, I emailed the company that reportedly acquired Capital (https://sesbrands.com/) to ask about the future of the Culinarian ranges and got a nearly immediate response saying that they've begun full production, established a new distribution channel, and are excited to round out their existing outdoor product lines with the Capital indoor luxury line.

    My renovation project has been slow/delayed enough that I still have a few months to mull over the BlueStar vs Capital dilemma, I can see if one needed to choose today BlueStar would feel like the surer choice from a parts/repairs standpoint but perhaps that'll change again in the near future.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH