Software
Houzz Logo Print
lolalovespeanut

Newlyweds First Apartment. Need Color Scheme Advice & More.

11 years ago

This is our first place together, and my first time taking a crack at decorating. I'm a complete novice and need help putting together something stylish, modern, and accommodating for our small apartment.

Unfortunately, since we are renting, we aren't able to do anything too drastic. We can paint the walls, and patch up any holes for wall decor, but obviously no architectural changes.

We will be using our living room primarily to receive/entertain guests.

Here is what I plan on doing so far:

  • This was the wall color as we moved in. I plan on re-painting it.
  • Ignore the foot stool being used as a temporary TV console.
  • I will be lowering the painting, since I feel it was hung too high.
  • The ampersand wall decor was a gift, but I'm not married to it.

Here is what I need advice on:

  • What color should I paint the living room? I was thinking a light gray or off-white.

  • What type of TV console do you advise? Perhaps a mirrored console to match the coffee table? A floating TV stand?

  • Should I leave the wall with the kitchen cutout bare? Can I decorate it? If so, how?

  • Should I add gold (to warm it up) or silver (for a cohesive look) touches to the living room?

  • Please send me chair options! I'm leaning towards a spindle chair.

Things to note:

  • Our apartment does not get good lighting. (Hence the need for mirrors/mirrored furniture)
  • Our living room is more rectangular than square.
  • The kitchen cutout/bar is too small to add bar stools, so that option is out.

ANY AND ALL DECORATING ADVICE WELCOME!




Comments (53)

  • 11 years ago

    Barbara - Thank you for your kind words. My couch and chair are charcoal gray. I hope they don't come off as dark brown in the photos. I just had to clarify, just in case.

    Great minds think alike because the paint colors I was looking at had just a hint of blue undertone. (Classic Gray & Gray Owl)

    I've seen that rug before and considered it. It that from Pier 1? I was scared it would be teal overkill though.

    Here was the TV console I liked. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy.

    I completely agree that I need a chair that's open and not too dark. Here was the spindle chair I liked. What do you think?

    Those mirrors are so unique and cool! Do you know where they're from? I've also considered a mother-of-pearl mirror in place of the ampersand. And sticking a matching floor vase in the corner with light yellow sprigs to tie in the yellow in the painting. Thoughts?


  • 11 years ago

    I think you've done a very good job with a new apartment. I do like your ideas especially with the picture frame, the lamp shades and the pillows on the sofa. If you use a smaller pillow size on the sofa it will make your sofa appear longer.

    I do like a media console similar to the one Barbara recommended.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I was posting at the same time as you were so I missed your choices. All of these picks are right on. I agree with you on the rug. A bit too strong. Champagne drapery panels will also be suggested. Check Ikea for some grommet tops to hang from just below the ceiling down to the floor. Their drapes are a good quality for the price and they sell by the pair , not by the panel as most places do.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hi Lola, I agree you have a great eye for design and probably don't need too much help....I like the choices you've made and are considering. :-)

    How wide is your TV? While I like the TV console you selected, it looks like it may not be the "right" size. It should be at least 25% wider than the TV itself.

    Take a look at this one from Z Gallerie and see how it compares width wise to your TV. Also not sure if the finish is right....but IMO it's ok to actually mix in different finishes as long as they blend in well together in the space.

    http://m.zgallerie.com/p-11996-archer-media-chest.aspx

    lolalovespeanut thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    Hello,
    I think your grey paint choices are greyyyt!
    Use the darker complimenting shade to highlight either the couch wall or kitchen separation wall.
    I agree, you have enough turquoise, carpet should have only highlights of dark grey (your couch) and turquoise with a more neutral base. Go bold with design pattern of carpet with this in mind.
    Love your choice of console and chair. You have really great taste so trust your instincts. Warm up the room with some natural wood somewhere. Side table or stool.
    I agree to add beautiful curtains, but would keep neutral (not blue ) to ensure room feels large and not too cut up.
    Good luck and have fun.
    lolalovespeanut thanked hmarney
  • 11 years ago

    Hold off a while on the paint for the room until you have more things in the room. Look at some opalescent colors if you think that might be nice. I do. Look for Oriental or Persian style area rugs, timeless, classic.

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    one word. SCALE. here's the thing, because the items on your wall appear larger then your sofa, you need to change the way they are seen together. Consider putting your sofa on the pass through wall. move the tv to the wall across (where the sofa is now), move the large art to the wall the TV is on now, hang it lower, or move it to over your bed! then flank either side of the sofa with chairs. and add a large area rug. the lamps are awesome, but you may only need one in this room. and the addition of table lamps for balance. pick out a rug, it will help you ground things and give you more direction.

  • 11 years ago

    Lola, Thanks for clarifying that your sofas are charcoal rather than brown. I would not get a mirrored TV console. I wouldn't recommend being so matchy. That rug is from HomeDecorators.com. It comes in a strong teal and a lighter teal. I was undecided between the two, to be honest.

    As your couch is a bold charcoal, I'd prefer a bold colored rug. You've got pale floors and you'll have furniture to put on it. I like the spindle chair you selected, although I think it may be a little to ornate with the straight lines you have int he room. It may look great in person - a bit hard for me to tell exactly. Use your sense of style here - you've done a great job already! Those mirrors are from Ballard Designs.com. I love mixing in mother-of-pearl, but with the pale walls, you'll you have to see how it looks once you've painted. I rather like the dark rim on these mirror and the convex mirrors add a lot of focus to a large wall. A large floor vase to the left of the TV sounds good in theory, but until you get the larger pieces, you may want a vase on the console, depending on the size. I wouldn't add yellow flowers however. The floor tile is beige enough to pick up the yellow in the painting. You can add pillows/vases/reeds/flowers once you've gotten the bigger pieces and painted the walls. You'll know it when you see it!

  • 11 years ago
    Addendum
    I love the tv console and photos that Avery provided. True warmth and elegance!!
  • 11 years ago

    More TV console ideas for you.

    First one below is from Pottery Barn and over 90 inches long. I like the white (lighter) finish on it and I think it would blend well with what you already have.

    In case you would prefer more of a "closed storage" look for a console and/or need something not as wide as the PB option above, then take a look at some of the Room and Board TV consoles. Examples of 2 different styles below. R&B also offers some nice finish options on their furniture plus these consoles can be ordered in 3 different sizes from 65"-82".



  • PRO
    11 years ago

    just some ideas.....


  • 11 years ago

    Do you have a separate dining space?

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    While I like the idea of an additional wood framed side chair (more "open" frame that takes up less visual space), I am also thinking that if the new chair placement will be to the right of the sofa and in front of the TV wall, perhaps a swivel chair could work there too (for functionality purposes)? It could be that someone sitting in this chair (spun around) would be too close for everyday TV viewing....but it could prove useful for those occasional TV watching events with a handful of guests over.

  • 11 years ago

    Also, I love BM Classic Gray but I wouldn't choose it for your space. You need something with more color. Gray Owl would be the lightest I'd consider but test out some others. I'd probably choose a grey with blue undertones. It will help unify the space.

  • 11 years ago
    Is that only wall or space for TV. Doesn't look functionally. Yes pic to high should hang 7" from top of furn. I would not over do the mirrored look instead go a dark wood media. Hanging TV on wall not good. Just sit on media. Can you return one floor lamp. You are going too matchy matchy. Mix up woods and looks keep accent colors to a minimum. Instead between chair and sofa add a round dark wood table. Add tall big vase lamp in silver white shade. Add tall item to coffee able like orchid, books stacked.
  • 11 years ago
    Big area rug 8x10 silver shag would add texture. Try TJMax for low prices.
  • 11 years ago
    What color are walls now? Look gray on computer if so leave them.
  • 11 years ago
    Add two leather high back bar stools to counter. I know it's too small but you need them for extra seating and to finish look. You could sit there with a drink or coffee. Pier One, sells nice ones go a color. Like your lamp base.
  • 11 years ago
    Add a rod at ceiling then get panels for end of slider. A turquoise and white chevron would add interest. Add pillows in same to chair.
  • 11 years ago
    Extend Rod pass window on that end with wall space. Add a big Palm in nice black ceramic pot to corner. Leave other walls bare.
  • 11 years ago
    IKEA has some very usual media centers in metal in color that would be fun. The main thing with decorating is mix up looks, add color and make it fun. Another idea for rug is Black and white cow hide IKEA has great price on everything check them out. Z Galleries fun place to shop.
  • 11 years ago
    Declutter kitchen. And remember your frig is not a bulletin board.
  • 11 years ago
    Look for a long 4 ft and narrow art piece where the & is now. Get something contemporary with bold colors. Again TJMax. .
  • 11 years ago

    Nany Travisinteriors - Wooh, that's a lot of comments. I'll try my best to address concerns and suggestions.

    • As mentioned before, we will only be using our living room to receive/entertain guests. I find a TV-centric room to be stifling for conversation and mingling. So, it's more of a background noise situation instead of the main attraction.
    • There is only one unbroken wall which is what the sofa & painting are featured against. One wall is almost entirely the glass sliding door. The other is almost entirely a kitchen cutout. The other is the front door.
    • I wouldn't do a dark wood media center because I'd find that too match-y match-y and with the dark sofa/chair it would only sullen an already dark lit room.
    • I like a lot of jewel tones and colors. I know it's very popular right now to have a subtle, subdued natural tones throughout a house, but it's not my taste.
    • Again, my sofa/chair are charcoal. I don't think a dark brown is the way to go. With your suggestion I'd have a very dark couch, chair, table, tv console. It would remind me of when advertisers try to sell a matching 9-piece furniture set.
    • When I said too small I meant that the kitchen cutout ledge doesn't extend far out enough to constitute bar stools. Sorry, I should have clarified that.
    • I wouldn't do a chevron since I find them too trendy and too Pinterest-y.
    • The wall color is a sage green. It was like that when we moved in.
    • I'm a vegetarian, so cow hides are out.
    • I don't think two pictures of my nieces on my fridge constitutes as clutter or a bulletin board. I didn't ask advice for my kitchen, but thanks anyway. I know you didn't mean any harm.

    In general, I feel we have very different tastes in our home decor, but I appreciate the shag rug suggestion and a new store to look into (T.J.Maxx).

  • 11 years ago

    Avery- I actually really like the finish. I love Z Gallerie, and I was literally looking at that same console right before you posted it. It has a lovely mix of warm and cool tones. The width of my tv is 43" across.

    The mirrored cabinet I posted is 50" across. (15% difference)

    The Anchor Media Chest (one you posted) is 71" across. (49% difference)

    I'll be checking out Room and Board.

    Thank you so much for taking the time out to comment and post photos. :)


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    you have a mirrored coffee table...hmm


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hi Lola, I'm not a design pro, so take any advice from me with a grain of salt....but just based from what I've learned from the pros/experts here on Houzz re: console sizes, the key is it should be "at least" 25% wider than the width of the TV. (And some have said, "the wider, the better").

    Now for full disclosure, our media console does not follow this design rule because 1) we purchased our TV and console prior to learning this and 2) our TV wall space cannot accommodate a wider console. In other words, the width of our TV wall is only 64-65". My dear hubby wanted and purchased as wide of a TV that could fit there.....so regardless of what console we bought, it could never be (at least) 25% wider than hubby's (our) TV. :-) However now, because of our scenario, I understand why this "25%+ design rule" is in place. It's about scale and looking more proportionate. As flair lighting mentioned above, scale is very important when it comes to design. (I've learned that the hard way too). :-)

    But again, I am not an expert. So before committing to any console purchase, read through previous design dilemmas that may relate to similar questions/advice/suggestions. And also take a look through some Houzz photos to see what the experts/designers are doing in regards to TV/console sizing/scaling with TVs similarly sized to yours.

  • 11 years ago
    I like the idea of another chair, however with the sofa-chair being a dark charcoal gray already, I'd be careful about getting something very light. That would look incongruous. Open arms, yes....perhaps one in a print that has some dark/med gray into it so it will blend.
  • 11 years ago

    Finish acquiring your fabric pieces and rug before deciding on paint. You may find the key to your perfect color among the fabrics, and paint stores can always do a custom mix for you that works with your established colors on furniture, floor and windows.


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Just a comment that your 3 photos show how each wall can look different [and on computers also]; one looks grey, another blue and another more muted... :)

  • 11 years ago

    Flair Lighting- In theory, the Photoshop example looks good. Our living room layout is awkward, and ideally that's how I'd have it set up if it was a solid wall for the couch. Yesterday my husband and I moved our couch against the kitchen cutout wall. We sat down and hit our heads against the "bar" overhang. Not fun. So that's not an option.

    I should have also mentioned I took my photos using panorama. It makes the living room a bit larger than it is.

    When I first started making purchases I didn't measure anything, which I regret. But the couch is about 17" wider than the painting. I bought the couch and chair on an impulse because Urban Homes had it on sale. We desperately need furniture. It was only $400 in total for both.

    The coffee table is a mix of dark gray wood and antique mirror glass. It's not outrageously shiny or anything.

    The double floor lamps was a stylistic choice. I was inspired after seeing these examples:



  • 11 years ago

    hmarney- You're absolutely right. After thinking about it, I don't think a mirrored TV console would be the right choice.

    I'm looking into wooden consoles now, but I'm unsure of what wood color finish I should go with.

    My budget is $1,500.

  • 11 years ago
    Hello,
    Avery had some great suggestions. You may have to shop around. I wouldn't get too caught up on size eg 25% bigger etc as you could drive yourself crazy, use your eye and get what works for cost, space etc.
    You are right, some rooms use the balanced twin look (two lamps the same) which I think is more formal. Some rooms more eclectic (eg different unmatched lamps) which I think is more interesting, if not more difficult to achieve. You know your own taste, which in my opinion is great! This is where balancing textures and materials becomes so important so they are balanced and complimentary, but not too matchup, matchy.
    lolalovespeanut thanked hmarney
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    your two lamps are much bolder than the blue bases you have, note how all three exmples are clear glass linen shade. yours have taken on a little bit of over powering. The couch and chair deal, CHEERS! good find, and I know I had to buy on the fly last year, and am almost waiting for something to "happen" to it! Knowing you have to work with what you have the space just needs some grounding. im wondering if you lowered the tv and left it where it is, then actually turned the couch to face it floating. and a chair to the right. put a console behind the couch and treat the window are as a walk way entrance with a chair by the slider.


  • 11 years ago

    I think some of the people here are giving advice on what styles THEY like, not taking into consideration your style.

    I personally think the lamps are great. I like bold rooms, too. The inspiration/example photos you've posted have a distinct style to them. You have great taste! Trust it. You have a good eye for color.

    I think the chairs Avery posted are a little too bulky and muted in color for your small living room. I think an open chair would do well in a multiple color tie in, just as you would for a rug. Put one or two, if you're worried about having enough seats, opposite of the sofa.

    Flair Lighting's design is a little too drab/uninspired for you.

    I think a floating TV console would be a good option for you since you're concerned about size.

    I'd hold off painting until you've acquired your other furniture pieces.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    thanks but it was not a design rather an Idea for how the tv might look placed on the long wall. by no means am I trying to push my style .....since its not even close to this style. I love the lamps too. i just think the are large in the room, but its not my design.i found your comment insulting. Sorry Lola if i have pushed, my drab uninspired style on you~ i digress from this thread now, wounded .


  • 11 years ago

    I am agreeing with serenat87. Trust your own eye for style. Do NOT PAINT grey. I love your idea for the chair. Hold off for a while on the painting. Enjoy your new home & have fun.

  • 11 years ago

    Have you posted the room dimensions? If not, please post them. I'm thinking there might be a better layout.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    @flair lighting....don't feel wounded.....I personally love your suggestions because there is a rhyme or reason behind it....and it's up to the OP to accept, expand upon (with their own tastes in mind) or not....not for others to undermine or negatively judge.....especially when they cannot come up with any *better* ideas of their own.

    Don't let "judgy", grumpy, negative people like Serenat make you feel wounded. Those are the types of people that don't matter...really! ......I too suggested too bulky and too muted of chairs. :-)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hi Lola, if you're still looking around for potential media console options, also take a look at Restoration Hardware if you haven't already. I think they have a good selection (glass or closed console styles), various sizes & some beautiful finishes (light and dark) to choose from.

    https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/collections.jsp?categoryId=cat3850077&sale=false

  • 11 years ago

    @Avery. Wow. Who's really the judgmental one? I didn't make personal attacks on anyone's character. That's childish.

    What is wrong with saying something is too bulky and describing a color as muted? It was true.

    And I did give suggestions of my own. I mainly stuck with advice that was asked. I said to wait to paint, put open chairs in a multi color (as you would a rug) across the couch, and use floating tv console since it's a small space.

    When did everyone become so sensitive?

    @Flair Lighting. The reason I said no one is listening is because they aren't listening to OP's information and taste.

    She already said she doesn't want to use her living room to watch TV and focus on that. Yet, your example layout showed just that. AND the design got rid of basically all of her stuff that makes it unique to her taste. Literally all that was left was her coffee table and painting, and even then it was suggested the painting be removed as well.

    If you look at all of her inspiration photos it has a distinct style, which I take as a clue and insight into what kind of things they like.

    Look at her first post again. She asked mainly about painting the room, tv console suggestions, and chair options.

    Now this got derailed about your distaste for her lamps and reconfiguring the room.


  • 11 years ago

    Hi Everyone!

    Okay, so I moved the painting down so that it sits 6 inches above the couch. It's a nice improvement and even makes the painting color look more vivid since it's at eye level.

    I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their suggestions and comments. It's really pushed me to hone in on finding out what my decor style is, and what is pleasing to my eye. I've come to understand through research that the style that I like most is called Hollywood Regency, and also a mix of Contemporary and Mid-Century.

    It makes perfect sense since my eye gets captured by glamorous vintage things and clean lines.

    I've always been drawn to Z Gallerie and Jonathan Adler designs, which come to find out, are Hollywood Regency inspired. Also Pier 1, which is where some Contemporary can come in.

    Now I'm even more excited and inspired to decorate. And it gives me much needed direction.


    After moving furniture around I've found two arrangement options that I'm pleased with and aren't a hindrance to walkways.

    I will keep the sofa as is, and place two chairs opposite diagonally. Or leave the sofa and chair as is, but place one chair opposite the couch and place two structured poufs/foot stools in front of the TV. Like so:


  • 11 years ago

    For chairs I'm considering these styles and looking for walnut wooden legs to play off of the walnut TV console I found. I will be adding a thin champagne gold frame to my painting. Choosing either the starburst mirror or the other. I'm also considering selling one of the lamps. Overall, I'm excited for the big changes. Thanks for everything! Hopefully I can update with photos after everything is all said and done.


  • 11 years ago

    Great choices. I like the second blue chair best. It appears to take up less space. Plus I like the brighter color. Are the mirrors the same size?

  • 11 years ago

    I'd hate to see you give up a lamp that you love so I created a couple layouts with both floor lamps. The first two layouts are the same. I was just showing how the chairs could serve dual purpose. I can't recall if you answered this before, do you have a dining space? If so, then the extra tables could be used for games, drinks, etc. If this space is also used for dining, the second two layouts include a console table that expands for dining. Several stores carry versions of these. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you some options.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I like the wall color you have now. If you repaint don't go too grey as that will be dreary. Stick with light walls to keep it looking lighter, brighter and larger looking. BM grey owl and white dove are nice choices.

  • 11 years ago

    Wondering if your art has a bit of yellow etc. Even if not, what about a throw in a bright color? :)

  • 11 years ago

    I too hate to see you lose your lovely blue lamp. They are in great proportion to your couches and wall. Please DO post pics once you've pulled things together!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    @Lola, love the blue chairs, especially the 1st one from Jonathan Adler. Again, you've got great design sense and your room is definitely going to be gorgeous....please do post pics!