Software
Houzz Logo Print
turtle177

Anyone else nervous about gray paint?

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

I know gray is the IT color scheme right now - 5 minutes on HGTV and that is obvious! We hired a stylist to help me re-decorate a couple of rooms and her first suggestion was to get rid of our yellow walls, which span most of the downstairs through the vaulted foyer and hallways, and paint it all gray. We settled on a BM Cashmere Gray, which is a nice slightly bluish warm gray. I do like the paint, and I know she is right about the yellow seeming dated, and that it doesn't look great against our oak floors, but I actually like the yellow and like the warmth it gives to the space. Plus, I have a lot of blue furniture and accents and it looks great with the yellow. I'm leaning towards just painting the bedroom she is decorating and then living with it for a little while before tackling the rest. I saw some before and after pictures of a similar paint change and often like the before picture best!

Is anyone else nervous about gray paint??

Paint · More Info

Paint · More Info

Comments (70)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    No way am I nervous about it; my entire home is gray lol! As a designer, I can tell you that this colour is still very on trend for 2015. It has a very calming effect. Good luck!


  • 11 years ago
    I agree with you very much. My home is yellow and the sunny color lifts my spirits. Grey is ok, but I wouldn't want to surround myself in it.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    You should have what you love..

    BTW, I would never think of Gray Cashmere as gray...it should be renamed Chameleon. Here it is in my front hall...I love it.

    Pondfront · More Info

    Pondfront · More Info


    Rebecca thanked JudyG Designs
  • 11 years ago
    gray is the best neutral. just accent w yellow pieces.
  • 11 years ago

    I just realized why I'm so torn. I really do like the yellow in the family room. It's very bright in there and it really changes the way the yellow looks, and goes fabulously with the blue furniture. However, I don't love it in the foyer because to several of your points, it looks peachy and does nothing for my nice floors. Still not sure I'm ready to saturate the foyer in gray, but at least I have a little better direction. You guys are awesome!

  • 11 years ago

    Oh my gosh, JudyG, I LOVE that! Wow, okay feeling a little more confident now. =)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Thanks, Rebecca. Gray Cashmere is so beautiful, flexible and yet is a neutral...I loved it the day I chose it and I love it now.



  • 11 years ago

    Your space is very beautiful, but it looks a tad peachy and reminds me of the '80s. But if you like it, that's all that matters. Obviously gray is not your cup of tea. Some people find it sterile, cold, and depressing. Others think it's a great neutral.

    You're going to be the one living there and will have to live in it day in and day out. I say pick what you want, not what's on trend.

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Do what you like, it's your home! Best of luck
  • 11 years ago

    Yes!!! Grey Paint would look horrible in your house, (based on the pics)

  • 11 years ago
    NO, gray would look AWESOME in your house.
  • 11 years ago

    I do like gray, as it is different than the beige and off whites that were popular in neutral wall colors before. It is also a new and interesting hardwood floor color. It can be depressing though. Our bedroom is painted gray (by previous owner). It looks good, but that room feels dark and not very uplifting. Our last bedroom was painted yellow and I loved its light.

    I agree though, I don't see yellow in your walls, but more coral/peach. It reminds me a bit of the Southwestern style that came back several years ago. I liked that trend.

  • 11 years ago
    I think grey would be great but if you like yellow, paint your walls a true pale buttery yellow. The peach fights with the floors, too similar in tone.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I agree with handmethathammer.....your walls do have a coral/peach tone to it and reminds me of that Southwestern trend too. If you like it, that's what matters.

    PS....it does NOT look like the "80's"....please....really Serenat?!

    Judy G, I love how that Gray Cashmere looks in your home....beautiful!

  • 11 years ago

    Yellow is definitely a nice, warm color and I can see why it makes you nervous to change to a more neutral gray. I do notice that it looks rather peachy in these photos... but you don't have to feel pressured to stick to the trend if you feel that grey won't match up as well as your yellow walls do. But since gray's a more neutral color, maybe you can find a way to accent the yellow in there somewhere, like londonvon said!

  • 11 years ago

    We recently purchased a house that was a rental property and the entire house was the same baby-poop brown. It was awful. Decided to go with the BM2015 color palate that included portland gray, with punches of other colors (cinnamon slate and carter plum) . Love it. It is a cooler gray, but it is calming rather than cold. The color seems to change as the light changes. It also goes well with browns and espresso.


    Try a small area or wall..try it you might like it...and if not then you can change it back :0)

  • 11 years ago

    I could see painting the hall a grey/ nice to 'break up' the foyer color. Similar to powder rooms, I like the advice to make those not-lived-in rooms lively, with more unique choices... I am an Autumn [yes to me it's been helpful] and I don't much use grey, or like it. Others have said they like it with a bright, or they have special/ maybe expensive items to bring life to it. I think that can be done with tan/beige. Seems I've seen many driftwood grey flooring now with beige walls....? a bit opposite to brown floors and grey walls....

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    One set of rooms we painted Limoge Cream, which was a light but dulled down apricot. I think red livened it up - maybe you have fabric to lay over something to experiment.... :)

  • 11 years ago

    Idea of pillow with art's blue, but warm tones - deeper and related to paint?

    Flower Power Decorative Pillow · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    I just can't get on this grey train that everyone seems to be on these days! Wether it be grey or a different color..find one that YOU love! Good luck!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    You mentioned the room she's decorating - is it a sunny room? Probably won't go drab - grey on the blue/purple side can look very nice as sun sets/ art also....Have good lighting for night.

  • 11 years ago
    From your pictures, you seem to have a more traditional, as opposed to modern taste. If it's only the foyer, why not go dramatic and find a deeper darker peach color? Dark dramatic color looks great in a foyer, usually little wall space, and it can cause the eyes to be drawn to the rooms attached if they are painted a lighter color. It can be that "wow" when you walk in the front door.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Some ideas for the foyer to see how different colors look with the floor. Don't know what colors you like so I just tested 2 random ones along with the gray.-

    Rebecca thanked Alison
  • 11 years ago

    On my computer your walls appear to be light peach, and your wood tones have a bit of orange in them. If this is true and/or if you like the yellow, I would advise you to keep it. If the wood tones really are a bit orange and you are daring enough, try a peach wall color with blue and perhaps silver grey accessories. You should decorate with what you like and with what you are comfortable and ignore the latest trend which eventually will become dated.

  • 11 years ago

    "out there" idea - see is it wallpaper within the trimmed details - a neutral within your staircase's panels? And a photo/gallery wall in random look?

    Transitional Family Room · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    I definitely see your current wall paint color as peach, not yellow. If you really don't care for gray, I would go in the brown undertone direction toward a shade of taupe. Or think Scandinavian colors and find a perfect white for the walls that will work with your white moldings. Or a beautiful pastel silvery blue or cream. Research colors online and find shades that appeal to you and your family. Use colors that will make you love your home more everyday!
  • 11 years ago

    it's only paint. don't stress over it. i'd pick an alternate shade (or even 2) and try them on the wall to give you other options...consider a soft taupe (ben moore's cape hatteras sand goes with everything!! and revere pewter is another great paint color!!) they are a bit on the warmer side which might be a nice option here. gray and taupe are both soothing and sophisticated and will go well with pretty much anything you put in the space. ;) go for it and keep us posted!!

  • 11 years ago

    I loathe gray on walls, especially cool grays. They make the sunniest room seem like a cave. We've had gray in our living room for 9 years, ever since we moved in. It's GOING. A room with 21' in patio doors shouldn't feel dark!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Wow, Alison... how did you do that? Obviously there's a paint tool out there I don't know about!

    I know they look a little peach in this picture, but they are yellow, as is evidenced by the paint can. Either way, I've decided against the grey, at least for this space. Some of the other rooms in my house are very bold from the previous owner - red, burnt orange, blue. Sometimes it's like I'm living in a rainbow. However I think I like living in a rainbow better than grey / tan world. I will probably look for a more neutral yellow and eventually change the paint, but for now, am going to redecorate a little and see if that spruces it up. Now my husbands burnt orange room with creamsicle-orange (UT Vols) accessories, is probably my first candidate for the grey!

  • 11 years ago
    Milly Rae, if you lived with it for 9 YEARS! You must not hate it that much! So glad your patience is finally being rewarded!
  • 11 years ago
    I'm not a big fan of plain gray. If you notice most of these gray rooms look blue or green which I do like. I think your house would look great with blue or green grays. These are darker than I'm thinking but give you an idea.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I just used the paint visualizer by Benjamin Moore. Have found it handy to get ideas of how colors look together. There are others by most of the
    other paint manufacturers, but I prefer theirs in terms of usability of
    the website. You can either choose from one of their pre-set rooms or
    upload your own room photo, although I've found that the colors can be off a little sometimes if you upload your own photo (lighter than they seem on the paint chip). I just did a quick selection of the wall with the magic selection brush (which selects similar areas) though there are other ways to make it come out neater.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    If husband ever gets tired of the orange room, or wants some inspiration, I agree. Gray is one of my favorite colors for orange.

    Courtyard Residence Living Room · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    Like linlac's foyer with all the white and wood. In your living area it seems to need color.

  • 11 years ago

    I lived in a house with grey plaster for several years as a teenager and swore I would never do that again. Looked as warm and inviting as Alcatraz. I love the peachy color myself, who cares if it's "dated" if it makes you happy? I like gray on house exteriors, NOT inside.

  • 11 years ago

    Color doesn't make me nervous or fearful anymore than eating liver does. It's just that I don't care for some colors. Choose the colors that you like and love the space you're in.

  • 11 years ago
    My goodness, not too much love for the gray. I find that surprising. Gray in my world is a neutral just like light tan.
    But, it is your home and you need to find that color for you that you love. I would start painting some posterboards different colors and hanging them up everywhere to see what you like.
  • 11 years ago

    There are so many variations of gray...from very cool grays with blue undertones to very warm grays with yellow undertones. Personally I love the warm grays and find them so neutral. I cant think of a color that cant be used with them.

  • 11 years ago

    I was never on board with gray. I am however, liking 'greige' colours lately - a warmer more neutral gray. They work well in most designs. For your space, I also don't think that BM Cashmere Gray will go with your furnishings. It does have a bluish tone to it and your furniture is also blue - it will look washed out.


  • 11 years ago

    Is it possible that greige is a color seen in nature, a bit more than grey? I remember a while back that colors of pebbles/rocks were used by paint companies.

  • 11 years ago
    Funny. I have been contemplating painting our new house...yellow! I have had a green/ grey taupe for years and was looking forward to a cheerful sunny color! The new grays are lovely but paint the color you love.
  • 11 years ago

    I've always liked grey, so it's convenient for me that it's in style and it doesn't scare me. I wouldn't use a color that you don't like just because of a trend though! I don't like a lot of red in my house, and when it was a popular paint color I refused to use it.

  • 11 years ago

    I think you need to do what makes YOUR heart smile, whatever that is. :-)

  • 11 years ago
    White.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Your home would look very clean and dignified in grey, especially if you add some modern touches to contrast with the more traditional look. It would be lovely, and I think your stylist knows this. Think Church turned Yoga Studio.

    BUT, looking at your furniture and the overall traditional/transitional mix you've got going there, I wonder if you'd be fighting your natural love of warmth. Obviously you're wondering this too, or you wouldn't be visiting Houzz and admitting that you're nervous about it.

    I'm kind of a closet warm color fan myself, and I think maybe your place is crying out to be bathed in a color I call "Rich Old Lady Peach." It looks just like you'd imagine it would--a warm but not fleshy yellowish-apricot, and it would work with your oak and play happily with your blues. Your stylist might have a heart attack, but if you looked at Alison's orange mini-paint job and thought "Oh, if only I could!" then maybe a slightly yellower, not-quite-so-bright version of that color would do the trick.

    I'm just sayin'.

  • 11 years ago
    What about revere pewter? I was hesitant to do my sons room in gray especially with all the different shades, but Benjamin Moore revere pewter is gray but almost has a beige tint to it...
  • 11 years ago
    Looks like my entryway, why not try a different color on the upstairs wall or room off the entryway?
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for all the comments! It seems like a pretty even split on grey! We decided to paint the guest room a bluish grey, and keep the rest of the yellow... For now!
  • 11 years ago

    It is your house; it should be what you like! Be it grey or another colour. A decorator/ stylist's job is to take what you want and make it the best it can be..... Not ram his/her choices down your throat, especially when you don't like it!!!!!! Use paint visualizer and send the decorator a packin..... If you want a decorator.... Find another one!