Software
Houzz Logo Print
njthomps

Is it necessary to tile the wall around a freestanding tub?

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

We have gotten rid of the ugly built-in jetted tub in our ensuite, and are replacing it with a beautiful antique clawfoot tub.

My question to you Houzzers - is it necessary to tile the wall surrounding your freestanding tub?

I've seen so many beautiful pictures of clawfoot tubs without tiled surrounds here on Houzz, and of course, from a cost perspective, I'd prefer to just drywall/paint the walls. However, if there is a considerable issue with splashes and water damage, then I'm planning to tile 3 ft up the wall with subway tile (to match the shower walls).

Also, we won't be attaching a shower to the tub, so it will be used for bathing only. On the ends, the tub will be about 5 inches away from the wall, and on the one side, it will be about 10 inches away from the wall.

Thanks!