Software
Houzz Logo Print
trp3383

Recess Layout for Kitchen Advice Needed

11 years ago
Hey everyone, I'm in the process of building a house and need advice on
kitchen recess light layout before sheet rock goes up. I'm using 4" cans
over the sink, pendant lights over the 66 x 48 island and under cabinet
lighting. Those seem to be fine but I'm not quite happy on how the 6"
cans are laid out. I've provided my layout below. Any ideas on how to
fix it? Thanks

Comments (8)

  • 11 years ago

    You might try the Lighting Forum. I'm not an expert on lights, so I don't feel qualified to answer!

  • 11 years ago

    Are you doing under-cabinet lighting (UCL)? If not, you need to have some of those cans over the counter for task lighting. Although you really should do UCLs. I'm still struggling with my own lighting plan so that's all I've got. Sorry.

  • 11 years ago

    Funkycamper - I am doing under cabinet lighting shown in red. The two 4" cans at the sink will be on a dimmer in the back splash. The 6" cans will be on a separate dimmer and so will the pendants. This is what I have come up with the way my joists and plumbing land. Do I need that light in front of the fridge? Thanks

  • 11 years ago

    I just happened upon a blog post last weekend where someone was showing their kitchen and things they wished the had done differently. She wished she had put a can in front of the fridge. So...yeah, maybe. But maybe those pendants on the island will light up the fridge enough? Lighting is so confusing! I think the position of the cans in your more recent posts, the ones by the counter, is better. I think they should be closer to the edge of the counter though.

    I don't know if this will be helpful but I have had two posts about kitchen lighting here with lots of responses and good tips. Maybe you can find something in there to help you. I know there were specifics about can placement near counters in there so you should search for that in the following discussions.

    I'm sorry but our kitchen is going so slow that I have put the lighting on the back burner and will review the info I was given when it's time to make a decision. So I don't remember off-hand. Of course, I also hope that someone who gets lighting will pop in and give you more personalized tips.

    Lighting discussion 1

    Lighting discussion 2

  • 11 years ago

    In our case, our 4 inch cans will be fully over the counter and approx 10 inches away from the backsplash. I have also read that some put the cans right over the counter edges (so if you can scoot them a bit closer to the counter edges that would work). I think the way you have them in your opening post, and in the second layout above shows the cans shining over your head. I think your head will cast shadows on your work area (not to mention cans over a person's head is not flattering). Not sure about the fridge one though (I will check what our designer said about the light we have in front of the fridge and report back). Also, if you move the cans to over the counter edges, you might not want that one centered over the sink. This single six inch can could be replaced by two four inch ones by positioning one over each cab beside the sink. Or you could do a fancy pendant over the sink and move the two four inches ones out.


    Are you going to have an ambient or uplight in the kitchen or just down light cans? Uplights/ambient lights can be achieved by one of the following: 1) a centre fixture that is describe as providing up or ambient light 2) cove lighting or 3)uplight sconces (these are hard to find space for in a kitchen though).


    What height are your ceilings. That can impact how the lighting is done.


    Carol

  • 11 years ago
    Those are as close as I can get to the counter with the joists. Other option is 20in off the wall. I am doing under cabinet lighting as well.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    If cabs are 26 inches deep, and you have them 20 inches off the back splash wall then it seems that position would be better. My lighting designer wants our 4 inch ones 16 inches off the backsplash wall. Is there a reason you are selecting 6 inch rather than 4 inch? the trend I am seeing is to choose 4 inch rather than 6.

    What height is your ceiling?

    Carol

  • 11 years ago
    Ceiling height is 9ft. I went with 6" because they are much cheaper than 5". I'd have to remeasure to see if they'd actually fit at 20" but at that point the trim would be touching the upper cabinets.