laura_thyng

Bathroom Tile Help New Construction

Laura Thyng

We very recently bought a new construction home in August with an upgraded tile shower. In Dec. We noticed water damage on the wall next to the curb/shower door. Our builder and sub contractors have been out multiple times to take care of the situation: taken off the door and frame, repaired nail/screw holes from the frame, replaced tiles and re grouted and re caulked

Fast forward to today...below is the picture of what is still happening after only 4 showers in 2 days. The grout is wet, the red barrier is wet and the backer board is wet...this is right after the shower. But it is still wet when we go to bed at night from showers in the morning.

The builder and contractor say this normal, the grout is wicking and the membrane system is doing its job. They are looking to seal the grout and then finish up repairing the wall.

What we want to avoid is just a bandaid that will fail after the warranty is up at the end of July.

Is this really normal for a tile shower or are they pulling the wool over our eyes?

• LK - 6B PA
    a little some more photos from the inside of the curb...used the flash so you can see the water
  • LK - 6B PA

video of the curb removal...was dramatic about the goo...scraping it off of the chisel...lol
    Creative Tile Eastern CT

It's my understanding that the builders warranty does not begin until the project is completed properly. A stage which was never achieved. If the repair was successful the warranty would start over from the repair date not the original date of install. You paid to have a usable shower and did not receive one. This needs to be ripped out to the studs (probably water damaged) and start from square one. Consult a legal adviser. This really has gone on long enough.

• LK - 6B PA
    We have reached out to the builder at the beginning of this week...silence
  • jellytoast

I would be reaching out to wring his neck.

• Olychick

Have a lawyer reach out.

• jellytoast

Well, that marble curb did come in handy. Good thing they changed that out! Seriously, though, do you have a contractor's licensing board in your area? This hack needs to be put out of business.

• cpartist

Is this builder still building in your area? I would call him up Monday morning and nicely tell him that if he doesn't compensate you for what it will cost to rebuild your shower, you'll be letting the local building inspector come and view your home, the insurance company and you'll be checking with your attorney.

• MongoCT

Looks like drywall mud. Basic joint compound. Good grief.

LK, are you in CT?

Cabot & Rowe

Drywall compound or mastic, both are completely unacceptable. What Cpartist said. I'm quite sure his insurance agent will be very interested

• LK - 6B PA
    I am in PA...I know our builder is still in business, as they just built a new model home and several other new houses and continue to dominate this area...the sub contractor they brought in was supposedly their best guy...however we pulled a tile off the front of the curb last night and there is water sitting in front of the curb next to the floor, can't wait to pull up floor tiles...
  • LK - 6B PA
    Is it recommend/preferred to wrap Kerdi membrane over a Schluter styrofoam curb?
    Creative Tile Eastern CT

Required. Look under my projects for Schluter Kerdi Before & After

• LK - 6B PA
    That was something that also was not done, the tile on the outside of the shower was tiled directly to the foam
  • jellytoast

LK, have you had any further developments with this? Any word from your "builder" (using that term extremely loosely here)?

Cabot & Rowe

Schluter and the NTCA will be able to help you find a qualified contractor

Creative Tile Eastern CT

Your local building inspector should be viewing this as cpartist mentioned. You will have a written report & the builder will have a difficult time pulling permits. Schluter will send a rep to inspect this for you and your insurance co. is also a good idea. Three phone calls the facts are documented. You want this for legal purposes. ("The folks on the Houzz forum said" ) will not hold up in court. Time to do what needs to be done.

• LK - 6B PA

This is so overwhelming!! Not something that you would expect from a home that is only 1 1/2 years old :(

I just reached out to Schluter to see what assistance they could provide!

• LK - 6B PA
    We're on to something here...they said there are installation errors that they could tell from the install pics I had and... found out my husband has been holding out tons of installation pics
    Cabot & Rowe

Let's see ! Who doesn't love a good car crash ?

• LK - 6B PA
    I'll upload a few during lunch, the a gentleman from Schluter is coming on monday
  • MongoCT

"Let's see ! Who doesn't love a good car crash ?"

The owner of the car?

But as a bystander...more pics! lol

If there was a version of "The Walking Dead" for showers, this installation would be in the pilot episode. Mastic, mold, everything turning to mush, it has it all.

When you can demo a shower with the leverage of your thumbnail?

• LK - 6B PA
    funny thing is that even though the leak is in the front of the shower...the biggest issue we had this time was the back half wall
  • LK - 6B PA
    more...
  • LK - 6B PA
    1 more for good measure
  • LK - 6B PA

from the picture in my last post of the half wall - it looks like they used the left over as the 2 inch overlap at the top of the wall...

• mark_rachel

I'm interested to here peoples' replies about the recent pictures. Is mortar the correct product to use on a Schulter/Kerdi board?

• dawna177

I'm definitely not a pro by any means, but I am currently doing the Schluter membrane myself. I was looking at the picture of the half wall, with the tiles already installed on the top. Where the half wall meets the shower wall, it's not waterproofed yet. And you cant waterproof with a 2 inch seam AFTER the tiles are already in. Also, around the curb, there are no corner seams installed, at the top or bottom of the curb.

Unfortunately, it looks like that is where they went wrong, and its every corner that is failing. Disappointing since it was such an avoidable mistake. I can guarantee you one thing though, they won't make that mistake again!

Creative Tile Eastern CT

@mark_rachel. You need to go to Schluter's web site and watch an installation video. This thread will only show you what not to do and create confusion. For instance there is not any Kerdi board in this shower. Always go directly to the manufacturer first for specifics. There is no better source.

• LK - 6B PA

Just some updates - a gentleman from Schluter was out yesterday and took a lot of pictures, asked a lot of questions and will be sending all his findings up to corporate for them to analyze. The builder finally contacted us and will be out in a few days to look at what is left of the shower - the saga continues :)

Cabot & Rowe

Thanks for the update. Let us know what happens !

• LK - 6B PA

The meeting went well - the builder seems open to potentially reimbursing us for the upgraded shower - they gave us a list of things to compile to send over to them, I hope they will work with us through this!

Creative Tile Eastern CT

One of the things you should present them is a quote from a professional tile shop to properly remove & replace the shower. The quote you give them will be much higher than what they offer you but you will now have a factual point to begin negotiating from. Best of luck.

• LK - 6B PA

Thank you! They did ask us to provide 3 quotes - fortunately for us we already have 2 in the works, just need one more.

Cabot & Rowe

Be sure all are NTCA members and warranty their work. See our warranty below.

Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech

I love it!

• LK - 6B PA
    We received the official report from Schluter this week and it came to no surprise that they said the installation was incomplete. We received a copy of the report and the gentleman from Schluter called our builder's manager of construction and forwarded the report on to them as well. We sent them everything that they asked for in terms of quotes, our original contract with the pricing of the upgraded shower, as well as the Schluter report. So now we wait....

However I will say I was completely blown away by Schluter's customer service and the fact that they were even willing to help us in this matter!
  • zookeeper93

What a saga you have been through. So sorry but so glad you finally are nearing a resolution.

• kippee

Your local building inspector should have some influence, whether to grant permits, take legal action... Sharing Schluter's report the your county,city or town inspector would be beneficial.

• LK - 6B PA
    still waiting to hear from builder...
  • LK - 6B PA

Finally! We heard from the builder and they are going to reimburse us for the cost to demo and rebuild the shower. Thank goodness...

lol I swear this shower is cursed...we brought in a new team (not affiliated with the builder) to remodel our whole bathroom (install new floor, new fixtures, re-install shower and tub)...and what do you know the contractor installed our paper faced tiles backwards...it is literally a comedy show at this point - we stopped him in his tracks he will not be returning and will be reimbursing us for the tiles and the sub par tile job all over and the remainder of work that is still to be completed - told us, well this is our best work, so with us this is what you get...so onto a new contractor...

• mark_rachel

Woohoo!! That's good news! Well hopefully you can get some good knowledgable people in there. Get references & check them! Get someone that specializes in showers. Good luck!

Legacy Homes NW

Wow....just wow. I just read this whole thread and my face hurts from wincing the whole time.

• LK - 6B PA

it is pretty amazing though - the shower will be re-built for the 4th time in 2 years...said no one ever

Mint Tile LLC

Still after all this and now again dealing with amatuers there is not a peep nor mention of a Flood test? what has been learn(ed) thru this thread?

best of luck to- LK

Mint Tile LLC

Ill say it for you........thank you to Tile professionals....John Whipple (RIP), Creative tile, Cabot and Rowe, some longtime houzzers and GW'ers Mongot, Jelly, cpartist etc etc. LOL

• Laura Thyng

yes - thank you to everyone who stuck with this for the 2 year debacle :)

• zookeeper93

Thank you for the update. It is always nice to see the happy resolutions after the agonizing issue. Looks beautiful.

• mark_rachel

Wow! It looks great & im glad it's finally over for you.