Software
Houzz Logo Print
chrisalbertson

Re-design for front and side yards, low water and maintenance

11 years ago

My parents have not been able to take care of their home for a long time, Dad is now in assisted living and we (my sister and I) need to do something to make the house look attractive. It is on a corner lot. Currently there is just a dead lawn and some over grown bushes.

The architectural design of the house is "plain" at best and is the result of two additions without much care about how the exterior would look. It is a large wall that faces the street with oddly place windows.

My plan is to use landscaping to draw the eye to a place in front of the house. I can use small size trees. I don't want much grass. This is California (Sunset zone 22) and they are starting to ration water. I will not be living at this house so I want very low maintenance design. (we will hire a bi-weekly gardener visit)

My thoughts are...

1) broken pavement and low (strawberry?) ground cover in parkway. Must be low to allow a car door to open.

2) Taller plants near house, mixed, 3 to 5 masses of different textures

3) tree(s) at mid distance to side walk in line that make about 20 degree angle to sidewalk

4) low foot tall planting near sidewalk, not a hedge but a natural shape, 12" high at most.

5) I don't like formal designs but doubt I could pull off a totally natural looking design without it looking like just random weeds , semi formal not geometric is what I like.


One photo shows the front, the second is an aerial view (

taken at a time when we had a large roll-off dumpster in the front.)


As you ca see we have a lot of work to do.

BTW the fence at the far right is down. but something has to be back up


Comments (9)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz