Software
Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_hart3469

Help with colors

11 years ago
I took a chance and got these blue sofas but am not happy with the outcome of the room. Where have I gone wrong?

Comments (24)

  • 11 years ago
    More photos of room
  • 11 years ago
    Instead of the blue pillows, use contrasting pillow colours (the multi-coloured pillow is fine) and choose a different rug that pulls the room colours together.
  • 11 years ago
    On one wall you have 3 frames of different materials, 2 end tables of different materials, 2 different lamps and a clock. The room has 2 blue sofas and 1 light colored. It's all over the place and I think that is what is off. Everything you have is nice but there is no common thread.
  • 11 years ago

    Where is the tan sofa? Are the blue sofas the same size or is one a loveseat and the other a standard size sofa?

  • 11 years ago

    Agree with miacometlady. Too many different looks.

  • 11 years ago
    From Ballard Design: coordinated art work, 2 lamps, 2 end tables and a rug that uses both sofa colors to pull room together!
  • 11 years ago
    Pillow ideas! (And perhaps find another room for stained glass piece if we are trying to pull blue and neutral sofa together.)
  • 11 years ago
    I do this all the time...sorry. Here are pics...
  • 11 years ago

    The second group of pictures don't show 2 blue sofas and looks like you moved the beige sofa. None of your pictures show the entire room, so it's hard to get a cohesive idea.

    The first pictures with a blue sofa against the wall, that wall needs the longer sofa on it. You have a wonderful stained glass piece that needs to be on the wall. I would play with the stained glass piece, the clock and one or two of the pictures to make a grouping on the wall. Most end table like your shorter one were sold in pairs, do you have the mate? If so use those and put the round table next to the chair. Your solid pillows should be on the sofas that are a different color; example tan on blue and blue on tan or recover some with small print material. Get a different rug, one with blues and tans with a small pattern, the one you have now has too much red.

  • 11 years ago
    Other photos to help with room visualization.
  • 11 years ago
    It has 2 sofas and a chair. This is our den/tv room open area with kitchen. Need help with changes to make it look more cohesive. I thought this rug would work, but maybe a light colored rug instead?
  • 11 years ago
    With different pillows and a different end table??
  • 11 years ago
    Any suggestions for a rug?
  • 11 years ago

    What about this one: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Felicity-Navy-Hand-Tufted-Wool-Rug-76-x-90/8306504/product.html

    If it's too much blue, maybe you can use it in the adjoining space to tie everything together. I actually thought your old rug worked. You just needed different throw pillows. Are you keeping the navy curtains? If so, then the old rug won't work.

    Rebecca Hart thanked er612
  • 11 years ago
    I think you need to change out the "coffee table", it's modern leather whereas everything else feels more classic. I agree matching lamps would help and matching end tables. The one round table on the side is too heavy and looks like an after thought. Here's an idea for a coffee table
    http://www.wayfair.com/Birch-Lane-Everly-Ottoman-BL4252.html.

    Rug: http://www.wayfair.com/Bob-Mackie-Home-by-Surya-Moderne-Beige-Warm-Beige-Area-Rug-MDR1025-BMC1072.html?piid[0]=7521135

    These lamps in either blue or clear:
    http://www.wayfair.com/Pacific-Coast-Lighting-Vineyard-Table-Lamp-with-Drum-Shade-PCL1226.html
    Rebecca Hart thanked Michal Reeves
  • 11 years ago

    Here's an ottoman and pillow options to match the rug that I posted yesterday:


    Rebecca Hart thanked er612
  • 11 years ago
    Hi houzz ears. Have made some of the suggested changes. New rug with tying together colors, different pillows, different coffee table, different paintings. Considering hanging the stained glass window next to kitchen, but not sure how to hang as it is so heavy. Lightened the drapes for summer. Any feedback, other ideas?I don't have any other side tables to use. Husband wants certain elements there like long sofa across from television, so some things are non-negotiable. I am just trying to tie the color scheme together for the open spaces and not make it too dark as it was in the past.

    Thanks for your help, as this open concept house is very hard to work with.
  • 11 years ago
    Before and after...so far.
  • 11 years ago
    After
  • 11 years ago

    Great job.

    Rebecca Hart thanked Vicki Denson
  • 11 years ago

    I love all of the changes you've made except I kind of liked the original grouping of art over the sofa. Overall looks clean and spacious, and it appears even the pup is enjoying the room.


    Rebecca Hart thanked springcath
  • 11 years ago

    Your changes look great. I'm not fond of the lamp on the round table though. It's kind of "owning" the room and not in a good way. Other than that, I think it's a very nice room.

    Rebecca Hart thanked Ann
  • 11 years ago

    I feel that way too, about the lamp. It has alot of purple in it. It is my favorite lamp for many reasons, but the color is wrong for the light feel of the room now.
    As for the art grouping, I loved it too! Maybe I'll put it back. Can't decide. Right now the other 2 photos are in other parts of the house.