Software
Houzz Logo Print
bonmio

Help "curb appeal" of condo lobby

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

Hi everyone! My contemporary semi-private (shared with 1 neighbor) condo lobby is in need of some decoration. Bench shown is 50" w. Facing the bench is the elevator. Our lobby is 6 feet from elevator to wall where bench is. Ceiling is 8' high except for over the doors where it drops to 82". 162" from our door to end of bench. I'd love to get adventurous and do something with an artificial boxwood wall or astroturf wall and put up our apartment number near our door (maybe put the number on the the astro turf in some design?). I'm worried the astro turf is a bit much and maybe should go with a contemporary canvas painting. I'd like to find a planter with the kind of plant below Would love your thoughts!

(Note, our doors are same as neighbors but are painted white and have modern handles and no number or doorknocker).

Would like a planter (or two?) like this one but in a color since everything here is white:

Porto Vita project · More Info

This is the boxwood wall or astroturf idea - just not sure how to execute it:

1095 Royal York · More Info

And this is a canvas picture (54" x 54") we like that could work if we want to be less out of the box:

Comments (18)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Something else fun could be a very large and bold wallpaper.


    Tribeca condo · More Info


    Meredith Heron Design - Spruce Street Residence · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    Very large art. Even bigger than this.

    Chelsea Duplex Penthouse Living Room · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    Looks like a space with potential! I don't think it would take a lot, a rug would be good since you won't be getting a ton of traffic through with only one other neighbor. Some small cantilevered shelves scattered along the wall with vases or other decorations on them would look fantastic I think. Or as other people suggested just some really nice art would also work, maybe something like these? http://blackthumbdecor.com/product/kristina-krogh-knot/

    I'm sure whatever you do will look great.


  • 11 years ago

    New day and I looked at your inspiration photo and noticed also the repeated graphic shapes: rectangular grass and skylights and sheets of glass....

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hi everdebz - thanks! I'm not sure what you mean about opposite the grass look? You mean the side of the lobby where the elevator sits? The wall space there is tiny. Curious about your most recent post - can you say more?

    A rug is a good idea - we do get people getting stuff out of their storage unit behind the lobby so foot traffic and wet feet from the beach. I think it would be nice to do some FLOR tiles there in a strip.

    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'm tempted by wallpaper but it's Florida and the lobby can get pretty humid (there is A/C but the elevator isn't air-conditioned and it brings up warm heat sometimes). I may play it safe and go with the 54" square art. THANK YOU!!

    Last question - do you see just 1 or 2 planters in here?

  • 11 years ago

    Since this is Florida, have some fun! Maybe find a local sculpture?

    Fox 1 · More Info


    Bonnie thanked pcmom1
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Bonnie, I hadn't seen your post until now. "Opposite the grass look" - your photo showed crystals hanging in the chandelier, which certainly elevated the look of the grass-textured wall.

    Grass-rough versus smooth-shiny. Green versus clear/reflective light.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    So I wondered if your lobby's lighting looked like your photo's lighting? Otherwise, it might need tweeking a lot.... I read again - what made you say that the grass wall might be a bit much?

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I'm not a designer, but I can't help notice that there are various materials with minimal detail/ modern, including the grass rectangles. Floating steps, glass railing, skylights... you're right it'd be adventurous, and could be your lobby doesn't have modern enough architecture for the look.

    Your bench leans that way though. :) Is it metal?

  • 11 years ago

    Hi everdebz - yes, my lobby has a 3-spot light - no chandelier. The picture with the grass is not mine, it's an inspiration. I think we'll go with art over the bench and then a standing sculpture piece like PCMom mentions or a planter like the one in the Houzz picture posted. Thanks for your advice, everyone!


  • 11 years ago

    I knew it wasn't your place... so without anything glitzy it would've looked like a bad office area...! Good 'luck'.

  • 11 years ago

    Hi everdebz - now I understand what you meant. Thanks for the wishes!


  • 11 years ago

    Here's the progress with this project. We've added the number for our condo and a canvas. Considering painting a 14" tall band of lime green paint from our door to other door (behind canvas) to give it a modern feel and a couple of tall white planters with silk agave or some modern feeling plant. Thoughts?

    Our front door is to the left of the bench.

    This is the neighbor's door. We'd go just up to that edge.
    This is our side. We'd have the band include the 19J - so it would be a couple inches taller than the letters and run the full length from our door to neighbor's door.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    How about a large giclee print to tie it all together. See this one I did for a home decorated by Design the Senses. www.ldanielsart.com Lisa Daniels

    Or something like this:

  • 11 years ago

    Lisa - thanks for your post. Are you saying a print in addition to the canvas flower above our bench? We wanted to keep the current canvas and run a green horizontal paint band across to tie the numbers and space together.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    No - I didn't see the canvas flower....but it looks like maybe it could use a tall plant of some kind there...sorry, missed seeing some of the posts...

  • 11 years ago

    No worries - yes, you're right; it does need a tall plant. I was thinking one taller white planter and then a lower white planter with a silk agave plant. Or green planters. What do you think about the green paint band idea?

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH