Software
Houzz Logo Print
pyh123

formal living room design dilemma

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

My formal living area is right off the foyer so I want it to look nice. But all of the family photos will stay. And I don't want to replace the furniture because I like it. The slipper chair from our last house is currently in the foyer, but it can be returned or be replaced if a chair is needed. The drapes are not really hung because I can't decide on a color. I'll hang them if it helps Houzzers though. Burgundy? Beige? Or go in a new direction? I also like blues, greens, greys and taupes. The sofa pillows are mostly burgundy, green and tan. I can flip them over and they are the same color as the sofa. I just finished the foyer and am happy with it. It is a buttery tan (Behr Crepe) that is deeper than the sofa color, and the living room is open to it. It is also open to the dining room, but that is further down on my projects list. The painters tape is because I am trying to decide whether to add wainscoting, as I did in the foyer. If I do, I'll definitely add crown molding. But I don't know if with the feature wall, that would be too much trim. The room is 12 1/2 x 16 plus a 2 foot bump out in front of the bay window. I'd like to focus on paint, drapes, a rug (my last living room was smaller and 5 x 8 is not cutting it) and whether to wainscot (or not to wainscot). The paint samples taped to the wall are BM's Mexicana and Behr's Charred Clay. I'm open to considering other colors though. My budget is limited. I'll spend up to $120 each for drapery panels but would have to really love them to go a penny higher. And while I will buy a chair, I would prefer not to spend more than a few hundred dollars on it unless I just can't live without it. The last pic is the slipper chair currently in the foyer. Thanks!

Comments (26)

  • 11 years ago

    Yes I would consider a larger mirror. I had a larger mirror but broke it moving. It was round but busy. A starburst. Would you stick with that or go simpler? What finish? Old mirror was antique gold but I'm thinking mix up the finishes.

  • 11 years ago
    Maybe try switching the foyer mirror with the LR one?
    pam h thanked mandy_moo_pants
  • 11 years ago

    Will try that today. Never even thought about it. That's why Houzz is great.


  • 11 years ago
    Your living room is lovely. I would want a taller mirror I think rather than a starburst...

    I like the idea of the deeper color curtain panel as a fixed panel.

    In that corner left of the loveseat and window, how would you feel about sliding in a slim floor lamp/torchiere?
    pam h thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    A client had an interesting take on family photos that struck me as pretty ingenious. In her family room she set up 2 of these towers with various sized framed images. She used Velcro to attach the frames to the surface. The tower is from Walmart.

    I covet your sofas and the coffee and end tables, George the II is a particular design favorite of mine especially in cherry. Can you share some history on them?

    I too think you need to select a rug before making any other design choices. I suggest you entertain the idea of introducing indigo blue to your room and the rug would be a great place to start. The addition of a few Delft pieces would resonate in your wonderful rooms. Some inspiration.

    http://theenchantedhome.co/2012/08/30-more-reasons-why-blue-and-white/

    [https://www.houzz.com/photos/wwwjasonjosephstudiocom-traditional-living-room-new-york-phvw-vp~889424[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/wwwjasonjosephstudiocom-traditional-living-room-new-york-phvw-vp~889424)

    pam h thanked lucidos
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you for the suggestions. I was thinking of ways to incorporate blue or green but feeling uncertain. Then I decided to try this rug (from the yet undone dining room). It has a little of both. Its a little larger 6 x 9. I think it works in size. Is it a better color? Or was the first color palette better. If so, which drapes with it? If not this rug, any ideas on one that will work? I saw one on Overstock that was both affordable and pretty. I'll try to attach the link. Also tried the mirror from foyer. Didn't want to make holes so had to hold it up. Size and shape work. I think it may be too many different wood tones. Its on the couch. What do you think?

    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Cerritos-Rug/7385405/product.html

    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Infinity-Ivory-Area-Rug-710-x-103/6783773/product.html

    Lastly, this houzz photo has feel I want. I don't want to copy it in style though. Its the colors I'm drawn to. This wall color BM's Mexicana is the color I'm leaning towards. Should I go for it? And if I do, should I add wainscot? I have been living with paint samples and tape on the wall for a year. And mismatched curtains for two months. I really need to decide.

    Welcome to Warmth by B Fein Interiors · More Info


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hi Pam, I’m sure there are plenty of people out there who have you beat as far as how long they have had paint samples taped up on their walls! :)

    Here are a few thoughts after reading your post and looking at your pictures:

    -You have beautiful molding/wainscotting/trim in your foyer and on the one wall in your LR. I would definitely do the chair rail and crown in the LR also to keep that consistent. It may not be in other rooms yet, but now that you are doing the LR, do it right!

    -if you do the crown keep it about 5-6”from bay window wall so draperies can be hung behind the crown

    -The Mexicana color in your inspiration photo is very rich, and part of the reason it works so well there is because the furniture, rugs etc. are muted neutrals. The paint color is very close to your floor color and unless you’d be willing to cover a large area of your floor and do so with a muted rug, I don’t think it will read the same as in the photo. If you did white wainscoting on the lower portion of the LR wall then the color wouldn’t extend down to near the floors, but I didn’t get a sense that you were contemplating that option.

    -Leave slipper chair in foyer. Move foyer table and mirror above to the R if you do as they no longer work centered on that wall. I like the foyer mirror whether used there or in LR. I would get a new one rather than keep the current LR mirror as it feels too casual for the spaces.

    -Aside from saying rug needs to be bigger in LR, I can say much else until you know if you are doing just chair or full wainscoting in LR as that will affect what color and size rug, which in turn will affect the draperies and of course the paint…

    You have a very pretty home as it stands, but it will be that much more spectacular when you make each room exactly as you want!


    pam h thanked adalisa frazzini
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    So I played with a few things to allow you to ponder your design leanings.

    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Infinity-Collection-Ivory-Beige-Rug-710-x-103/6322595/product.html?refccid=M7XQRWJBDIQK2OCKM5LRZ52QL4&searchidx=436

    As far as the wainscot it will depend on if you paint the already wainscotted wall in the room.

    I agree with Adalisa that the color you selected and the dark floor have an issue together. You would need a rug that was almost room size to pull that color off.


  • 11 years ago
    Definitely wainscoting. paint it same color as feature wall.
    pam h thanked LORDON Lane
  • 11 years ago

    I think adalisa and lucidos have been helpful. I'm in agreement about your floor actually being almost the Mexicana color already. Your inspiration room has no wainscot or paneled wall. Those both dictate a lot of the classic style of your home, so I'm in favor of continuing the wainscot and adding the crown. all around your room, painting the wall above it Mexicana. Your dining room rug is a better size for the sofa, but it blends into the floor too much. To achieve more of the look of your inspiration pic, how about having a regular light beige carpet custom cut and bound to fit your room, leaving about 18-24" of the floor exposed all around? Consider custom drapes like those in the inspiration room - matched to the Mexicana paint. As for furniture; I think your two Queen Anne console tables, the other one by the stairs and both mirrors lack the visual volume to stand up to the massive feeling of the wainscot. And the one in the LR is too small to carry all the family photos. Your coffee table has the visual weight needed and the other tables should be replaced with something that has proper heft. Note the weight of the chests and mirrors used in your inspiration pic. They are more suitable to your home because of your large scale wainscot and paneling. The wall above your wainscot could easily carry a grouping of pictures like those above the sofa in your inspiration room. You have not shown us the fourth wall here - the one opposite the window. I think we might make some arrangement suggestions if we could see it.


    pam h thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Thank you for the input! Lucidos, that was awesome. I agree after seeing the pics, the floor is so close to Mexicana that it won't work unless I do install the wainscot and crown, then paint only above the wainscot. And even then, I think I'd have to go neutral with the rug. I saw a completely different rug today, and it is going back to the ivory color. A little pricier than the ones on overstock, so it may be a month before I pull the trigger. I had not given thought to having carpet bound. I will investigate that before I finalize. My husband says thanks for saving him from painting and repainting. The fourth wall is actually not a wall, but the dining room. The furniture is mahogany- the color of the floor. I'll post. I've picked out the wallpaper for it but that's all. I'm sure it will go with the wainscot and Mexicana? First pict is the wall paper. Second is my current dining room- without the rug. Again, wainscot will be installed. But I had not planned to get this room until after the laundry room:) But I guess I do need to make certain it all flows.

    Breezy Brentwood · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    Picture did not transport. This is the dining room.

  • 11 years ago

    I really would love to hear some history on your living room set. I can't tell the age from the photos but I'm guessing it's not brand spanking new...Where and when is it from?


  • 11 years ago

    Truthfully, it's not THAT old. But it was my first major purchase after I married 19 years ago. Houzz is therapy. I've figured out that I've spent my adult life collecting things that look as if they could have been passed down. Probably because my family had so little to pass down. At the time of purchase, the set was a major investment of meager resources and my new hubby was not happy! Rather than risk ruining the set as we zigzagged the country (job moves), we left them with tenants of our first house for a few years. Assuming they were old and therefore valuable, they took great care of the set.

  • 11 years ago

    Adalisa and deco enthusiasts, you two also rock! Such great advice. I'm feeling renewed. And more confident. I usually know what I want and do it, but I knew my plan for this room was flawed and couldn't quite put my finger on why. Will concentrate on wainscot first then tackle other issues one by one. I'll definitely update!

  • 11 years ago

    What a lovely story and how wonderful that they have been maintained as well as they are. They look of a quality that will last at least 100 more years. You made excellent choices that 19 years ago and better quality never goes out of style. Your space is a decorators dream and I'm sure that you will fine tune your decor to make the rooms perfect and elegant.

    Please do keep us informed and on behalf of all of us here we would love to follow your progress and bandy about more suggestions.


  • 11 years ago

    I'd do living and dining at the same time because they're going to read as one unit. The wallpaper will look great with the Mexicana in the LR, and I would do the same drapes in both rooms, as well as the same trim and wainscot. Should be stunning!


  • 11 years ago

    Baby steps! Broke down and purchased the new rug. Its 8 x 11, muted, but still brings some blues and greys into the room. Upgraded trim gets started in two weeks! I probably should have said, the hubby and I are DIYers and are upgrading the trim ourselves so scheduling is slow going. But at least I have a rug that works (I think) and a clearer direction!


  • 11 years ago

    Thought I attached pict of new rug. Oops!


  • 11 years ago

    Picture is really dark so I lightened it a bit. I love the rug. It needs to be under the legs of the love seat though. Try the love seat forward a bit.


    I dunno how your tolerating that curtain I think grab some inexpensive royal blue, green or burgundy panels for the moment.


  • 11 years ago

    Will do on the rug. Once I accepted that neither curtain would likely work, I took them both down:) But I did live with it for 2 months, which I admit was ridiculous. I'll work on the drapes after I get the trim and paint up.

  • 11 years ago

    I wanted to let you know that I was so enamored with your furniture that I purchased this at an auction.


  • 11 years ago

    I love it! It looks like it may be the exact same group. This shape with a very similar pattern was available 19 years ago. Is it a Schnadig?

  • 11 years ago

    I can't find any labels on the chair. But this is Canada and searching the Schnadig name tells me that they are a Canadian based company.


  • 11 years ago
    Could you take a picture of the new rug facing the long LR wall with paneling on it so I can get a better read!