Software
Houzz Logo Print
wesheart

What color stain to use on these hardwoods

11 years ago
The light colored hickory hardwood floor shown in these pictures has to be completely refinished. I was hoping for a buff and recoat but two flooring experts agreed they need to be refinished. The good news is the color can be changed if we want. The house is contemporary with whisper white walls throughout. I think we would like to go more modern with a darker shade. My concern is how they would look against the rift sawn oak cabinets in the kitchen as shown. Do we need to stay lighter than the cabinets or can they be darker? Thanks for your help houzzers!

Comments (20)

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you for your thoughts. Attached is another view looking in to the kitchen.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Natural finish with a product like Bona Naturale is a very popular look for Hickory. It would be a very light colored kitchen.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks. I guess we were thinking darker floors would look more contemporary? Right now they are very honey-colored and light and we would like to get away from that look

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hickory can be a little tricky in terms of staining. I would have your flooring finishers make a few samples for review.

  • 11 years ago

    Sounds like a good idea. Thanks

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Leaving it natural might be the best look but also the best function as any dents won't be as noticeable. With the modern dark cabinets, the natural wood is a nice simple element and is always classic. Staining might not come out the way you hope so natural is definitely the safer route.

    If the flooring hasn't been refinished in awhile, the lacquer may have yellowed. Perhaps talk to the finisher about a natural oiled finish or a matte lacquer with a good UV protectant in it that won't discolour as much.

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for your informed opinions. The floor will be sanded to bare boards so it has to be stained somewhat I would think? I think a darker look would make the room look better, but I will get some samples and check on site.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I would guess you can get a half step darker (with the right gray undertones for your cabs) and that's as dark as I would want to go with the dark kitchen. If you go darker...you have to work in the "ebony" or "jacobean" depths (several steps darker than your cabs). That's several steps darker. That's into the "I can see every speck of dust" depth of colour. That would mean you have a "black hole kitchen" with "black hole counter top" sitting on "black hole flooring". It will look like a black hole. Unless you want to change out your counter tops (a bright white would look magnificent with dark cabs on dark floors) or add 2-3 times more lighting you may want to stay on the lighter side for your flooring.

    A "light" stain on hickory and maple can be difficult to achieve because it can get a bit splotchy. Splotchy is visible with light stain rather than dark stain (you can't tell "dark" vs "dark splotch"...they both look dark).

    I'm of the opinion that a natural clear coat (non-yellowing product) will offer a handsome, non-yellow floor. Most finishes are the things that darken and "yellow" not the wood. When you strip off the finish you will probably see a very pale blond floor. A non-yellowing finish will keep the pale blond = Scandinavian Modern.


  • 11 years ago
    I appreciate people taking the time to comment. The idea of staying lighter than the cabinets makes sense the way you put it. We aren't in the house yet (lease back to sellers) so it's harder to know if it's a dark kitchen . Certainly during the day there is abundant natural light. Thanks to all commenters.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Hold on a minute.... In that flooring I can see stave joints. That appears to be an engineered floating floor. You may not be able to refinish. IF you can refinish yes hickory mottles when stained. If you want the " light" look nevermind bona finish try either Rubio monocoat or Glitsa ultra max. Both are top notch finishes and fairly easy to work with. Bona not so much. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • 11 years ago

    Both of the hardwood professionals thought it could be refinished. They said it was a prefinished hardwood floor with an aluminum oxide topcoat (hope I got that right). I specifically asked if that type of coating could be sanded off and was told it was no problem. I hope that is true. The bid I have indicates "staining, finishing and 3 coats of Bona Mega polyurethane finish". I will discuss the Rubio and Glitsa finishes. Thanks again for taking the time to help me with this issue.

    Below is a Houzz image that captures the color of the cabinets along with the white walls of the house. I wonder if this look could be replicated in our home?

    Nancy & Jim's Mid-Century Marvel · More Info


  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Looks like clear hickory with RMC pure. Aluminium oxide never refinishes easily. Please take the time to read reviews on the possible flooring contractors and also see if there certified. You can check online at nwfa.org
    Clic onto certified pros
    Choose sand and finisher.
    Due diligence pays dividends in the end.
  • 11 years ago

    The bid was from Prime Hardwood Floors based in North Hollywood, CA. Unfortunately the NWFA site does not list a certified sand and finisher at either the home zip in Pasadena or in North Hollywood which makes me think either the site doesn't search well or perhaps theses certified pros do not join the nwfa in my area. If I were anywhere near Alberta Canada, you would be on the top of my list!

    Does anyone in Southern California have experience with Prime Hardwoods, good or bad? Thanks to everyone for your help.

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    NWFA site lists very well. IMHO if they're not certified or have even taken tech training they are not experts-end of story. I'll look up a few things and get back to you...
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Rode Bros Floors are certified in Los Angeles. Look them up on Yelp or Angie's list. I researched prime and they seem descent but are not certified. Trust your gut instinct.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks so much for your help.
  • 11 years ago
    Boy did I make a mistake. Spoke with the flooring man today who said the floors are Oak. So sorry for the misdirection. Hopefully that allows more options as far as colors though now we are leaning towards just a little darker than the original with a matte or low gloss finish.
  • 11 years ago

    We have rift oak cabinets with a dark stain and oak floors. We wound up using a water based clear finish which makes them really light. We tested the oil based clear finish and it brought in the red tones which I didn't like. The down side is the water based finish - while it dries almost instantly and doesn't smell, is less durable. We've got plenty of scratches from the dog.

    http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/laurat88remodel/DSC_1909_zps5d7391cb.jpg


    Finished (they look darker in the pics but they are really pretty light):

    http://static.wixstatic.com/media/5e1917_1cdf278804fd59d6950316f4528dbd99.jpg_srb_p_880_624_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srb


  • 11 years ago
    What a beautiful finished kitchen! We ended up going with a very light stain to avoid the "black hole" effect with the dark counters. I think they turned out great. We still need to refinish the kitchen cabinets.