Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmayoung

Black doors for the interior???

jmayoung
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We updated all of the doors in our 1950s ranch style house. The doors are solid wood and I added and egg shape silver nickel door knobs.

Any thoughts on black vs. white doors? We have a lot of natural light so I've been leaning towards black - I like the idea of creating more emphasis on the doors but would appreciate all POVs.

Pics are from when the house was staged for sale - for example the built-in desk below was torn out but you can see there's a lot of natural light

Comments (92)

• Lisa Simpkins
    8 years ago
    I am in the middle of painting all my doors and trim black with white walls. love the contrast! Pics shortly.
    jmayoung thanked Lisa Simpkins
  • Maebemary
    8 years ago

I painted my doors and trim black

jmayoung thanked Maebemary
  • JanFran
    8 years ago

Looks great maebemary! I left my trim white but the black looks great too. I love the dark ceiling too.

jmayoung thanked JanFran
  • seminack
    8 years ago

Whatever you do, do not paint interior doors black.

jmayoung thanked seminack
  • houseatthelake
    8 years ago
    Personally like the black doors. If you were to paint them black how about doing the window trim black as well. The black window trim draws your attention to the outdoors.
    jmayoung thanked houseatthelake
  • lpitchford
    8 years ago
    I just painted 5 interior doors black and love them!!! Wish I had done it 3 years ago! My walls are tan and trim is white. I also have several black accent pieces around to tie them in. The husband liked them so much he wanted to paint more. And we just might.
    jmayoung thanked lpitchford
  • Francine Doyle
    8 years ago
    I painted the inside of my front and back doors black, but decided not to take the plunge with all of my interior doors. The front and back doors look great, though! (Please pardon the mudroom clutter.
    jmayoung thanked Francine Doyle
  • jmayoung
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback - following are more current photos & door detail. While the rooms are messy you can get a feel for our style & our playroom

• bewareofzebra
    8 years ago
    So I would say no to both black and white! Find a color that compliments your own alps and accents and go for it. Can't tell what the under tones are I your paint color, but go from there!
  • bewareofzebra
    8 years ago
    Wow, auto correct just mangled that, I'm sorry. The gist of that was to take cues from your wall color and accessories and go for a color on your windows.
    jmayoung thanked bewareofzebra
  • paulinny
    8 years ago

Okay, well you do realize that the after pictures above are in no way reflective of the "before" pictures at the top of this article. Because one cannot see what is going on on the other walls, window and door placement. It is hard to determine, however you do at least have paneled doors which was not evident in the earlier pictures, and recessed ceiling fixtures although the placement of them from the picture looks quite random. If you want to make the "playroom" a little more adult since there is a bar there and if you decide to paint the beige doors black it will need to be carried through, once you go black it is no longer a Kiddie Playroom! Also with the light cool blue/grey walls, know that it will be colder looking. I suggest replacing the color blocked rug with a black border bound sisal rug the texture will work great with the elephant print and start bringing the black to other areas in the room and more sophisticated pillows on the sofa, don't match so literally the rug to your artwork. You will want to consider painting the console under the tv in the "playroom/den area" black as well. You can even distress it if you want it more casual. Bringing the two casual slipcovered chairs in front of the TV with a small table between them rather than the big two seater love seat currently sitting in the middle of the room, would not look so clunky. OR if you can place a slipcovered chair in the living room on each side of the sofa to open that area up, the original traditional rug in the staging picture style is better than the oversized pattern in that area. Also re-locate the oversize chair blocking the french doors in the dining area? Turn the table crossways as in the picture at the top as it helps delineate that as a dining room space. A rug coordinating with the one in the living room, under the table would also help. Gee, all this advice for free. Take from it what you will, the sheers on the big windows look great, however untie the ones in the playroom as they look tortured and no one does that anymore even if the windows are sliders.

• bewareofzebra
    8 years ago
    For example, what they did here is lovely...better than white!

http://houzz.com/photos/3124516
  • JanFran
    8 years ago

Here's my feeling. If you're savvy enough to ponder painting your doors black then you will LOVE them. I waffled on the very same question before I decided to paint them. It's only paint, it's not as permanent as tile or even stain color.

It seems to me that many of the posters here are against black doors just because they're against them. Again, it takes someone with a more developed sense of decor to contemplate it.

Painting your doors black or off black, will add sophistication to all of your rooms. It's an unexpected pop. I agree with a previous poster that said the folding doors at the bar area will make it more adult. Believe me, it will make the space very special without being stuffy.

jmayoung thanked JanFran
  • Leana
    8 years ago
    We, too, just remodeled our ranch style home. It is a mix of modern and farmhouse/rustic (my husband and I can't agree on anything). We painted our doors black and LOVE it! Still putting our home back together but here's a photo to get the idea. It's just paint. You like it? Try it!
    jmayoung thanked Leana
  • Jean Benelli
    8 years ago

If you notice all the people who painted their doors black have old world traditional style homes. It works with the wide door molding and stately stair railing. It also works with ultra modern. I agree with the person who posted with your style house the black doors may just look like you are trying a decorating style that does not quite fit with your house.

That is just my opinion. Try painting a door and see if you like it like others have suggested.

jmayoung thanked Jean Benelli
  • Karin Hanson
    8 years ago
    I just had all my interior doors painted black - contrary to other comments it doesn't take away the focus on other elements. I love them and it offers you the chance to choose wall colors you ,gibt not have considered with white doors!
    jmayoung thanked Karin Hanson
  • diannaulfe
    8 years ago
    If you have any of the old doors, you could paint one of those black and move it around your home to see if you like the color.
  • emigs
    8 years ago

Black French door & window trim -- it invites the eye to travel outside to the beautiful view outdoors. My vote is for black!

• JanFran
    8 years ago

My house with painted black doors, is a 50's ranch with a stacked stone fireplace wall and a reclaimed dining room table. Very eclectic but with a contemporary/farmhouse vibe.

jmayoung thanked JanFran
  • paulinny
    8 years ago

There is no such thing as a "contemporary" Farmhouse...vibe?

• bewareofzebra
    8 years ago
    Okay, looked at you latest pictures more closely : are all of your walls blue now? If so, black would look great. I'm still convinced you could work with both black and a brighter color to add interest and draw your eye out to your awesome deck (love the cable rail). I totally get why you would not want to keep that traditions white trim (zzzzzz). Your french door would look great in black but consider trimming the very outer edge in a brighter color (see the yellow in your elephant poster? That but a bit lighter). If you post better pictures, I might have a better idea.

See this project for inspiration: http://houzz.com/photos/961463 .

From what you have shown you are willing to take some risk and I think playing with color on your windows is a grsT way to do something unexpected and fun.
  • paulinny
    8 years ago

If it was a kids room, PLEASE do not match your homes architecture to the colors in a poster hung on the wall! Yellow and Black Doors, look like a bumble bee. Or worse they only work towards the end of October, Trick, definitely not a treat.

• bewareofzebra
    8 years ago
    Meh, paulinny you are No fun. The poster looks good there because the color is right for the room. No one is trying to match anything. (And I said lighter)
  • JanFran
    8 years ago

Well paulinny, actually my home does have an eclectic and contemporary farmhouse vibe and really, your comment is a bit much.

• cranberri99
    8 years ago
    Vote for BLACK -- Jan Ruffio said it best. BUT there is great tips on a Pinterest post about black door horror when homeowner painted latex over enamel and the black latex peeled off in gobs. You might try taping a couple black garbage bags over the doors, stepping back and squinting to see if you like the effect.
  • Lisa Simpkins
    8 years ago
    Here are some pics of our hallway into kitchen.
  • heatherstubbs
    8 years ago

Black doors are amazing! I was so nervous to do it in my last home - but they were gorgeous! My designer pushed me out of my comfort zone to do it and he said it would make everything else in the house look more sophisticated - and he was right! They were stunning and really elevated the look of everything in the house! I am doing black doors in my new house, too. And everyone I know that has seen the black doors who has the opportunity, will do it in their house. The color we used was Obsidien Brown, so I guess technically, the color wasn't black. But the dark, rich color makes everything else pop! For me now, using white on the doors is very "builder-grade"...it's what everyone has.

• paulinny
    8 years ago

rDear Beware,

The french doors are in the living/dining room that you suggested painting a paler yellow and the poster is all the way in the "playroom". Obviously they were trying to "match" or co-ordinate may be a better word, the colors in the poster to the area rug and throw pillows as was seen in the pictures. The bright color blocking in the rug is great ...as I said for a kids room but if there is a wet bar behind the bi-fold doors, and you want to make the room more adult then that was what I was suggesting as the black doors will immediately ad a dramatic, somber and sophisticated note. Where as the white is bright and happy and a better foil for the bright colors or more casual, if that is what jmayoung is going for. If every color decision or rug, or poster and pillows has the same value and level of brightness or importance in a space than nothing stands out, as important, if everyone is trying to make everything ..."Pop"! Please though try to refrain from using that word around a real designer.

Jan, I wish you nothing but the best with your Farmhouse "vibe". Remember mid-century furniture from the 1950's is called contemporary as well, and of course if you are combining those two adjective it is going to be eclectic. Can you imagine what 18th Century English, Bohemian Chic would look like. It is all interpretation,

• km kane
    8 years ago
    Gosh, I'm not sure but this is way interesting. I'm getting me a bowl of popcorn and watch this whole drama play out. Paulinny's acerbic comments combined with his/her spot on design sense, the 50/50 yes black to no black, this is a blast!

I just have to say, nice house! Love the new doors, and I agree, it's just paint for heaven's sake.
  • PRO
    Lighthouse designs
    8 years ago

First, lovely space....from a young designer's stand point, I'm not really for black doors, if you really want a black element to the house you could try it out on the windows..it will add drama without being so "in your face"

• paulinny
    8 years ago

You can paint latex over old oil base paint, but you can not paint oil base over latex as it will just melt, bubble and NEVER DRY. Not what you want on a door that is handled.

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 years ago
    Is your home going to be very contemporary? If so black makes sense. If not I would draw attention to those beautiful window.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 years ago
    A front door painted black would be fine. But not all.
  • Teri Fronabarger
    8 years ago

I read a previous Houzz article on black doors. I painted the inside of my front door black and it looks great!! So dramatic!! The rest of my doors are white. I think it works!

• happyleg
    8 years ago

Ok, I'm coming around.

• sarshouse14
    8 years ago
    I love the look of black interior doors and as some have already said in their comments, if you end up not liking it, it's just paint! Why not go for something different?! Wish you all the best!
  • sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I would suggest you keep the doors white. Your house has a light and airy feel, and the white doors help make it work.

• paulinny
    8 years ago

While it is "just paint", unless it is a DIY project it will involve hiring a painter also for best results the doors should be taken off the hinges and painted two coats flat lying down. They may even need to be primed. To repaint after black they would definitely need to be primed, sanded primed again and then be painted back white or whatever color with at least two coats. Whatever you decide, I would not suggest keeping the putty colored paneled doors as they exist now, as they are fighting the light blue walls and relate to nothing else going on in the "playroom" space. So white or black post the results when you finish and I am sure everyone will cheer your decision one way or another. Good Luck!

• JanFran
    8 years ago

paulinny is correct. We took all of the 50's brass fixtures and glass handled knobs off for painting and then fitted them with brushed silver hinges and a lever handles with locks that work. It definitely brings the look to this century but it doesn't stand out. However I don't find painting that complicated. Paint today covers amazingly well and a lot of them have a primer in the paint. Unless you're blocking stains, you don't necessarily need a separate primer.

• Karin Hanson
    8 years ago

I also painted my french doors black that go to my courtyard

looks like a picture frame!

• happyleg
    8 years ago

The glass ones would look like a jewel in the bedroom.

• Joy McArthur
    8 years ago

Did you ever paint them black? Everyone told me not to, and it completely changed the look of my house. It toned down the white of trim, ceilings, etc. and made everything pop. All the naysayers love it now!!! I say do it!

• Lisa Simpkins
    8 years ago
    mine look great.
  • RB
    2 years ago

What about interior doors with transoms? Paint the transom frame or leave white like the trim? Glad I found this old thread...hope some pros will come back to it!

• Karin Hanson
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

IMO, I would paint the entire trim and transoms black. I also took all of the old gold handle door hardware and replaced it with black round handle haardware. Everything is black and very sleak and modern looking.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

The post is from 6 years ago!!!!

• km kane
    2 years ago

Doesnt matter Beverly! People are still searching, learning and asking. its valuable to some

• Leana
    2 years ago

What was the purpose of your post, Beverly? It wasn’t helpful. If you are a pro and you read her question she was asking for your help, not criticism. (Btw, I’d leave the trim the same color as the door trim-white. It looks cleaner. 5 years later and I still love my black doors!)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

So reference the old post, but start a new post that is relevant. Once you get to 80 comments on a post, it's no longer about the original question anyway. In addition, a 6 year old post is disseminating information that is likely obsolete or incorrect. Products and methods change quickly in the construction field.

• km kane
    2 years ago

Well Beverly some of us are not as organized as you are, or spend nearly as much time on this site as you!