Software
Houzz Logo Print
robininva

Need help with a new name!

11 years ago

This may seem odd, but since Houzz is my favorite place to glean ideas for home decorating, I'm hoping this question can generate some seriously good suggestions. You know how some rooms in a home get renamed? One example is "den" to "family room"... GREAT improvement. How about the fact that "utility room" became "laundry room". Splendid update! Well.... I'm wanting a new name for "kitchen"! It sounds so old (and it is!) and way overdue for an update. So, come on, gang. Have at it! Please!!!! =)

Comments (31)

  • 11 years ago

    The cook and clean? Or food room? I suppose "the room where I spend far more of my time than I want to" is too much of a mouthful, isn't it?

  • 11 years ago

    Some are calling the eating area attached to the kitchen the "hearth room", whether there is a fireplace or not. Let's extend that meaning to the food prep room, consider the oven a modern day hearth. Warm, cozy name.

  • 11 years ago
    How about the old term "keeping room?"
  • 11 years ago

    I'm thinking something with "culinary" in it.... maybe?? At least that's all I have so far in my lil brain... Culinary room? IDK... Keep posting!! =)

  • 11 years ago

    I call ours the SuperMassiveBlackHole. I named it after the refrigerator which came with the house.


  • 11 years ago

    Also been known to call it Kitchen Stadium...from the Iron Chef series... :)


  • 11 years ago

    I like "Preparation Station" :)


  • 11 years ago

    while i am very interested in naming and renaming rooms, i'm thinking my family would think i was nuts if i started calling it something other than the kitchen.. but... how about 'the most expensive room in the house"?

  • 11 years ago

    Agreed, nnigrt, but it's got to start somewhere! =) I vote for being the trend setter!

  • 11 years ago
    Culinary Haven perhaps?
  • 11 years ago
    Command central. Everything happens here,
  • 11 years ago

    even the names "great room" "hearth room" and "keeping room" make me throw up a little. i'm afraid i'm not one of the troops you are looking for for your war on kitchen. LOL.


  • 11 years ago
    War on kitchen! LOL!
  • 11 years ago
    There was a great PBS show where an English barrister referred to his wife as, She Who Must Be Obeyed. Perhaps for the person who spends most of the time cooking and cleaning the kitchen, it should be called, That Which One Should Avoid.
  • 11 years ago

    The heart of the home!

  • 11 years ago

    mia, i loved rumpole!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    The Dine & Ditch? Everyone else shows up after the food is ready, eats and then takes off. I cook, I serve, I clean.

  • 11 years ago

    Actually, Rumpole (or rather, the author John Mortimer) took the phrase from Rider Haggard's novel, She: A History of Adventure . "She" is Ayesha, White Queen in Africa, who is so beautiful that any man who beholds her is enchanted. Her full name means She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed. So, as always, Rumpole is being heavily ironic. It was written in 1887 and has never been out of print. It is so not PC.

  • 11 years ago
    I'm sure my husband would agree to calling me "She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed" but not because of my beauty.
  • 11 years ago
    Hmmm very different now with the skids mostly gone...kitchen is a happy place to drink bubbly and walk around naked.
    Although if we started calling it the Love Shack Bar and Grill, they might stop eating at home entirely...
  • 11 years ago
    Dawn, he has a deep appreciation of your ability to decorate despite accessories like prosthetics...not many women could show such adaptability and competence! He knows he has a find!
  • 11 years ago

    I like dreamhousethilo's Command Central. Around here it could also be called Grand Central, as in Station, because most everything that goes on in our home comes or leaves through the kitchen.

  • 11 years ago

    I should add that I love using older names for rooms of our home since it's a Queen Anne Victorian in style, though built in this century. We have lady's and gentleman's parlors instead of living and family rooms, a library instead of a home office (thought ours is filled with books on bookshelves, a sun room (still called that now) and a sleeping porch (instead of a balcony), but I have not heard of any other name for the kitchen from that era called anything but a kitchen. So for me, it will stay a kitchen.

  • 11 years ago
    Well, if nngirt is a troop, it could be called the mess hall. Or galley if on a ship. We could borrow from another language: cuisine (Fr), cocina (Sp), cucina (It). Grand central would fit my house really well, as well as command central.
  • 11 years ago
    LOVE using the Fr or Sp names... Now we're talking!
  • 11 years ago
    A kitchen in the Tower of Pisa would be called "the lean cuisine"
    :-D
  • 11 years ago

    In my last house, I called mine (after reno) "My Big Bad Kitchen." Man, do I miss it. It was the hardest thing to leave for this one...this one is fugly, full of oak and dumb, black appliances. It is a dark hole. Someday... (which is why I Houzz) :)

    I like the Latinate variations, especially cucina. Everything Italian is delizioso!

  • 11 years ago
    So.... Looky at what I found today at a yard sale for a mere $3. My kitchen will henceforth be called "Cucina"! Could I be happier and feel more blessed? Nope, not today. (Hope you could see the word on the sign... Had to take the pic looking in to the light.)
  • 11 years ago

    Can't go with "don't use; stays clean"?

  • 11 years ago
    Robin - Perfetto! e Buon appetito in your cucina!