Software
Houzz Logo Print
debhowse

Please Help with Accent and Curtain Colour

11 years ago

HELP! I am having trouble coming up with a colour for my Curtains and Accents to match the wing chairs and wall colours. The walls are different shades of grays. I have a few reds in there now but these can be replaced. I have tried dark red and it did nothing for the room.

Our home is in the country with a large wrap around deck so I would love to bring some of the outside to the inside but anything I have tried so far is not giving it the 'WOW' I am looking for. I'd like to make it look bright and cheery!! Any suggestions?


Comments (29)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Painted Pumpkin Pillow Cover, 20" sq. · More Info

    It looks like your chairs may have some pumpkin color in them. If so, you could use that color for pillows. Start with the pumpkin pillow above and then add other solid pumpkin color pillows, along with some cream pillows. I also like the green in the pillow below so for a rug, you could look for an oriental rug with the green, pumpkin and cream combination. Once you get the pumpkin pillow it will be easy to take it to the rug store to find a rug in the same colors. After you find your rug, then look for draperies in pumpkin or green.

    DAH thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • 11 years ago

    The colour in the chair is more of a gold not pumkin:(


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Yes this colour might work. Could i go with the drapes in off white and use gold for the cushions and accents?

    Is there another colour that would work instead of gold?

  • 11 years ago

    I'd like to add another colour instead of staying with the yellow/golds if possible but have been finding it hard coming up with a colour that would go good with the chairs.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    The only gold you have in the room is the small amount in the chairs. Adding more gold will help. Look at the solid gold pillows in the photo below. I'd remove the pillows you have on your sofa and replace them with solid ones. love the dark gray draperies in this room, but your walls are darker than the ones in the photo. You also have gorgeous wood trim around your windows. Are you sure you want to cover it?

    As for an additional color to add to your room, how about black? Is there some black in the chairs. I love the black pieced cowhide rug in the photo, or at least I think that's what the rug is made of. It's a very hot item these days.

    The black and gold you add can be in artwork and accessories. Look at those cool pots on the coffee table, and the colors in the artwork.

    Transitional living room · More Info


    DAH thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    We are planning to add a drape to only one side of each window - one on each side of the fireplace and one on the two outer windows of the triple 12' window - this way we are not covering too much of the trim work. I like your suggestion of the dark gray drapes with the gold pillows and accents but I'd still rather stay away from the yellows....

    Is there a tone of green that would work instead of using golds - I'd rather stay away from bringing out the gold in the chairs if possible.... I'm lost on this :(

  • 11 years ago

    A couple of my photos show with the rods already in place for the 'half' drape.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Lime green works with gray, but not always with gold. Here's an inspiration pillow that might just work in your room. It has gray, purple and lime tones in it. From this, you can build a scheme using these colors which may or may not work with your chairs. But if you start adding purple and the muddy lime of the pillow in accessories and artwork, you may have found your new color scheme.

    However, you might want to take another look at that pumpkin pillow I showed you above. It has green in it, plus some gold. But it's the pumpkin that I really like with your gray, and it works with gold too!

    Blowing Leaves Pillow, Gray, 18"x18" · More Info


  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Throw Pillow Covers 22" x 22" Pillowcase Green Velvet Solid Color - Green Lime · More Info

    Here are two more pillows to add to that scheme, tho the lime green of the solid one doesn't look like it matches the other pillows. You may need to go shopping at a fabric store to find what you want.

    Mace Stripes Pillow Lime/Purple · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    First fix angle on TV. Then remove items from mantel. Not needed. Try a black panels on ends only. Take rod pass window. Red is a dated color go a color from your chairs in prints mix with black and gray. TJMax a good source. A 8x10 rug in a silver shag would add interested center in room.
    DAH thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 11 years ago
    Hope this helps.
    DAH thanked Karen P
  • 11 years ago

    Exactly how we feel about the reds... I like the idea of the lime greens... maybe with black panel on the ends....

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you :)

    - I tried to rotate the pics but couldn't get it to work!

  • 11 years ago

    I need to make the area pop!

  • 11 years ago

    I think the reason you feel you are missing the "Wow" is that your furniture placement is off. (This is just an opinion). It is a great room, love all the windows but that means TV has no place to go except over FP. Although it might look better if it fit inside the molding instead of covering it. Then you have the sofa (loveseat?) tight against the island. I would try the sofa in front of the triple windows, the 2 printed chairs together with a table in between near the entry (making sure they are on rug not partway onto tile floor) and the 2 black chairs flanking the FP. I would not put drapes on your windows to formal for country. I would do natural fiber roman shades. I really like Carolyn's suggestions of the pumpkin, gold and green accents. Another opinion is I don't think black drapes and silver shag say bright and cheery and wouldn't accent a beautiful country view. All just my opinions.

    DAH thanked jck910
  • 11 years ago

    Lots of good ideas here... thank you! keep them coming as i am still not sold on what colour to use.

  • 11 years ago

    When I first saw your photos, I thought green, like the plants, as it is the only other interesting color going on. The walls look great with the two shades of f=gray! I, too, would not cover your window trim at all with drapes or curtains. It is such an accent in itself.

    Maybe mixing greens, such as the lime green suggested, with plant -colored green. I would choose a couple pillows that have more green and a smaller amount of either gray or black? I would ignore the gold because I don't think it complements gray. Good luck.

    DAH thanked Karen Schwinger
  • 11 years ago

    Yes it sounds like greens are my only other option because of the gold in the chairs.


    Advice please can i use?

    - off white panels on windows?

    - lime green & plant colour green accents?

    - Any suggestions on cushion or rug patterns for this colour scheme?

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago


    Hillside Residence · More Info

    Do you not like orange? It would work well with all the grays.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Whatever color you end up adding, it will also help if you add some white or off white pillows. All your furniture appears to be quite dark and light pillows will help.

    DAH thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Orange is not one of my fav colors for sure.... but i do like the pumpkin pillow.

    I like the suggestion of the lime green, leaf green with ivory.

    I am concerned about finding a pattern for the green Cushions and a Rug that will work with the wing chairs tho.

    Any suggestions on cushion or rug patterns for this colour scheme?

  • 11 years ago
    Love the space to be honest what I would do is keep it without curtains looks so open and full of light but if your someone who needs curtains and don't like he openness in that case I would choose a very rich bright white to keep the space bright. Or Greys and whites in curtain
    DAH thanked Michelina K
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you everyone for the ideas!

    I am leaning towards crisp off-white panels on one end of each window, with lime, leaf green and off white accents/cushions. I hope this turns out ok... and maybe a rug with mostly greys, off white and a touch of lime if I can find one.

    How far should the rug cover?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    A simple off white rug would do if you don't have kids around. Or just a gray rug. It can have the green in it but doesn't have to have it. Keep in mind, though, that gray will be going away in 4 or 5 years, so don't spend too much on a gray rug.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    The rug, ideally, would go under the front legs of each piece of furniture. But we don't always achieve our ideal. What size does it look like you'll be needing if you get the front legs on everything?

  • 11 years ago

    Choose a rug 1st. Check Overstock.com or Ikea. Then drapes. Lastly pillows & accessories. Please do not try to find a rug that matches a pillow.

  • 11 years ago

    I like your idea for the drapes . You may want to go with a white, off- white or a wheat color since you want more light in the room.

  • 11 years ago

    My PC does not do colors true. Can you use a very light teal color?