Software
Houzz Logo Print
robdez

Should I paint my cherry wood cabinets white?

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

My wife and I want to redo our 10 year old dated kitchen. We really like the look of white cabinets but it seems crazy to paint over nice cherry wood cabinets. Is there anyway to keep the current cabinets and give this kitchen a fresh look? Or should we paint the cabinets white?


Comments (34)

  • 11 years ago

    Change the wall color and the cabinet hardware.

    robdez thanked palimpsest
  • 11 years ago
    Cabinets are beautiful as is. As palimpsest said, change hardware and wall color. You may want to think about a new back splash, too.

    Perhaps look for some inspiration photos to get some ideas about color and hardware.
    robdez thanked Marci
  • 11 years ago

    Unless you're filthy rich, why update a perfectly lovely kitchen?

    Find some colorful rugs to go in front of the sink and stove to brighten up the room.

    robdez thanked hayleydaniels
  • 11 years ago
    I would never paint those cabinets white.
    robdez thanked shars55
  • 11 years ago

    Agree with all above 10 years is dated? My goodness I just re did a kitchen from the 70's. Paint the walls

    robdez thanked jck910
  • 11 years ago
    First of all, your beautiful cabinets go all the way up to the ceiling. This treatment alone does not date your kitchen. Wood tone cabinets are as desirable as white. Your cabinets are beautiful and right on trend. Change out hardware, paint color, lighting, or backsplash if you feel the need to refresh.
    robdez thanked bunnyllg
  • 11 years ago
    I would consider this kitchen neutral and classic...not dated at all. If you want a new look, consider pendant lighting over the bar/island and new cabinet hardware.
    robdez thanked fox51
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    New hardware. Maybe redo the backsplash. Paint walls. New window treatment. But I would definitely not paint those beautiful cherry cabinets.

    robdez thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I'm not suggesting this should be yr design concept.
    Pic posted to show cherry cabinets with changed hardware, counter tops and back splash.

    ref pic

    Direct Replacement · More Info


    robdez thanked anne dee
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you, I like that look!

  • 11 years ago
    If I walked into your kitchen, I would never for a moment think it is dated. If you have lived in your home for awhile, you may just be itching for something new. But I would not paint the cabinets. If there are some nearby walls that you could paint a new color, or new accessories to put on the counter, I would go in that direction.
    robdez thanked rinda
  • 11 years ago
    Pendant lights are a great idea. Your backsplash reads a bit bland, so changing that out also will make a difference. Counter tops are great!
    robdez thanked bunnyllg
  • 11 years ago

    I agree that the cabinets should not be painted. It would possibly devalue them. However, I also understand a kitchen that is very nice, but not what you really want. If you have the money, consider refacing the cabinets and buying new white shaker doors as was done here:

    http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20916046,00.html

    The old doors could be sold on craigslist or donated to Restore Habitat for Humanity store - almost every area has one.

    If that is not in your budget, consider a change to the paint on the walls, which is rather dark, and the backsplash and also the counters, which appear to be granite tiles instead of solid granite. Lightening the paint, backsplash and counters will go a long way in brightening up the kitchen.

    You might also consider having the panel removed from some of the cabinets and replaced with glass. This is generally pretty inexpensive. More expensive but which helps add character would be removing the microwave and installing a modern T stainless stove vent, or a pretty wood one, or a copper one as in the above link.

    If you have more than enough cabinets, you can also consider removing some and replacing with an area of decorative shelving - again like in the previous link. I am not a fan of open shelving - too much upkeep, but an area of mostly decorative shelving - used sparingly can add character and brighten a room, especially if backed by a light colored tile or paint.


    Ireland in CT · More Info



    robdez thanked jhmarie
  • 11 years ago

    Another vote to not paint them. Is you counter granite?

    robdez thanked Ann
  • 11 years ago
    Instead of painting add a bright white backsplash.
    robdez thanked linlac
  • 11 years ago

    That is a great look! Thank you linlac!!

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you to everyone who has commented. Love your ideas! My wife and I are going to keep the cabinets and change the backsplash and hardware. We have been thinking of possibly replacing the granite tile countertop to a light quartz countertop.

  • 11 years ago

    If you plan to replace the granite counter tiles, I'd certainly wait until you've made that decision to decide on a backsplash. I think a white quartz with a simple marble look pattern would be beautiful with the dark of your cabinets. Maybe a white quartz counter and a pale blue/gray backsplash.

    robdez thanked Ann
  • 11 years ago

    Thinking if you did a bright white quartz counter, something like one of these backsplash colors could be beautiful with you dark cabinets.

    Modern Bungalow · More Info

    Wilshire Kitchen, Portland (Photo: Matt Niebuhr) · More Info

    San Jose Res 2 · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    The only thing I would change is the backsplash. The granite is beautiful and timeless. Lots of people are complaining about Quartz chipping and scratching. Why change it. I woul not go with white or gray but a warmer tone for the backsplash that blends with the granite.
  • 11 years ago

    Toriat, the OP has granite tiles. Still nice but I might be tempted to consider changing granite tiles too.

    In order to get a whole new look, it might be worth changing both the counter and backsplash. But, it is a pretty kitchen as it is.

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I would put some linseed oil, change the hardware, get a neutral light paint color, light granite as plain cream ( no pinks or orange sa) with little bit of browns, light tile backsplash and a beautiful chandi
  • 9 years ago

    What did you end up doing? I'm in the same boat right now. I have beautiful cherry cabinets, but a very dark kitchen. I'm not sure I like the look of cherry with light countertops. Any ideas?

  • 9 years ago

    I have a brand new house I moved into recently and its not terribly far off of your kitchen. Dark wood cabinets and granite, etc. I would change the paint color on the wall, and change the backsplash. I think the backsplash is what looks dated. Possible the cabinet hardware. I would only paint cabinets if they were beat up or the finish was bad as a last ditch effort to make a kitchen look better.

  • 9 years ago

    The design you posted is pretty blah for my taste. Think about if you want all that plain white or light colors on the tile and countertop. For me it all adds up to be too plain. I do like the cabinets.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Stainless Stell and glass additions

    Nob Hill Penthouse · More Info

    I think if you change out the granite to quartz and jazz up the backsplash you will have a new kitchen pretty darn quickly.

    Painting one section only and adding white and black counters and new lighting

    Potomac III · More Info


    Waterfall island and white counter tops and sleek modern Stainless Steel accents

    Eric · More Info


    Waterfall the island and killer backsplash and industrial fridge and SS hood

    counters · More Info

    Have a custome made fabric Roman shade made for the kitchen window and add new chrome or SS and or white counter stools and have cushions made for the stools that match or coordinate with the kitchen window Roman Shade.

    Maybe new pulls; they have some great looking hardware in design land. A consult with a kitchen designer might be money well spent for advice and reassurance.

  • 8 years ago

    I had a similar thought. Renovated (gutted) kitchen in 2007 with medium shaker style cabinets. Sometimes wish they were white but back then I was replacing white ceramic floor & counter top & was whited out. But one truism I believe is that kitchen design requires contrast - so if cabinets are wood floor should be tile. Wood with wood seems so woody. In your case lighter paint, interesting hardware & bright white subway tile backsplash could help

  • 8 years ago

    Yeah paint expensive cherry cabinets to look like cheap garbage over trendy white cabinets. Great idea.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Anyway, its not a good idea to paint wooden doors as the pain will crack on the joints - coz wood is a natural material and it shrinks and expands over time. Wood is good for staining and you can add an extra coat with a different tint.

  • 8 years ago

    Tony Montana - could you make the point without the sarcasm?

  • 8 years ago

    @michor, Isn't my point obvious? Don't do stupid stuff like turn more expensive materials into cheap looking ones.

  • 8 years ago
    I am having the same debate with my cherry cabinets. Should we paint them white? We just had the floors refinished throughout the house last year so new flooring is not an option
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Only if you are ok with regular paint (would look cheap though) coz you have framed cabinets and they can't be refinished with lacquer at home.