Software
Houzz Logo Print
klovell1120

Siding selection?

11 years ago

I need help with my siding options. I'm indecisive and my wife has officially tapped out.

Due to leaking windows, doors and rot we had to redo the front of the house. The rest of the house is brown board and batten. The boards are 12" and the battens are 4". They're rough cut or whatever that's called, they're not sanded or smooth. I'm not a huge fan of the wood finish but short of flipping the boards over to the smooth/sanded side I can't reside the entire house at the moment.

The house measure 60' long and 9' from foundation to soffit. My thought was to roughly divide the front into 3rds and do 12" and 4" board and batten on the outer 3rds and shiplap in the center. The entire house will be repainted at some point this year so the board and batten on the front will be either blue or red (that will probably be another post as i'm stuck on red and my wife on blue) and the shiplap stained. If you look at the pictures i attached, I can imagine shiplap around the front door and the two windows on either side.

I want something that stands out (in a good way) and limits or removes the overwhelming simple ranch look my house has going on right now. I think the house is to long for the same materiel across the whole front but i'm not a professional so maybe that's exactly what I need to do. My wife doesn't care what gets installed as long we stop advertising for Tyvek. I'm even toying with different ideas like inverting the board and batten so the boards are 4" and the batten in 12", maybe install it horizontally instead of vertically. I want different but I would like for it to look good. Am I over thinking this? Should I just choose one materiel or would splitting it up look good?

Any advice?




Comments (2)