Software
Houzz Logo Print
jamielovesbob

Which counter?

11 years ago

Trying to pick between the darker green granite with iridescent blue patches (2nd pic) and the green polished bamboo quartzite first pic ($2,000 less)... Want to do a charcoal gray composite sink and honed 2x4 dark gray backsplash. Want to pick what would look best with existing light cabinets. Thoughts?


Comments (17)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Go for the green which is lovely, but I'd change the backsplash to something else.

    Jamie Webb thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Definitely #2, the green is quite a statement. I like the backsplash but I'm not sure about it with the green granite.

  • 11 years ago

    Granite #1 is stunning, and you have the expansive space to pull it off. I'd go for a quieter backsplash that matches the organic mood of the bamboo granite and softly rustic cabinets.

    Jamie Webb thanked qam999
  • 11 years ago

    I agree with Emilia. I will be honest with you, I don't think either
    one of the counters you posted here is a good choice for your
    cabinets/floor/wall color combo. If everything else is staying the
    same, I would choose an all solid white counter (quartz) with the gray
    backsplash. Obviously you will do whatever you like, but that is my
    opinion. If you are afraid of the white staining (it doesn't), then I
    would go with a solid gray countertop to match the backsplash. There is
    some gray in the floor tile and also in the taupe wall that is facing
    the person taking the pic, so I think the backsplash color you picked
    will look very well put together. I am a color purist and sometimes I
    wonder how people can live in a home with so many clashing colors, but
    that is my gripe. Anyhow good luck and please post the results. I
    would also suggest a stainless steel undermounted sink if you change the
    counters. I had the top mount when I rented and hated it. For my reno
    I used undermount and cannot say how happy I am.


    Jamie Webb thanked mamaloukos
  • 11 years ago

    This is SO helpful (my husband actually saw these comments and agrees with this and is letting go of the green now!). We don't have to do a gray backsplash, we were only doing it because the girl at the granite store suggested it with that granite. I will take any suggestions on counter/backsplash combos and now are thinking of white quartz (doing Rodi here in our Vegas house and it's lovely). Will the gray look nice with those very light yellow hued cabinets? That is our one worry. Please advise.

  • 11 years ago
    I would get counters installed and then make decision on backsplash. I like the idea of the white. When you get it in the kitchen will look so different and it will be much easier to bring home samples and get an idea of what it will really look like.
    Jamie Webb thanked kimberlysc
  • 11 years ago

    Just want to clarify if the first picture is you kitchen now. If so, I think this stone and backsplash will work best. You need to do something with not a lot of movement because of your floors. I think the first stone is not the right green, and you could tire quickly of it.


  • 11 years ago

    I believe that a person should always do and choose what they love and not look at current trends. I think the gray will look fantastic with the cabinets and white counter and will blend in with the rest of the colors of your very nice expansive kitchen (including the cabinets). I will however rethink the composite sink idea. Stainless steel is extremely durable (scratches can be eliminated with a little elbow grease). You can google this issue or ask other posters to chime in but if you are set on composite get the most expensive (Blanco is one of the manufacturers I have heard people recommend for composite). A lot of people who get light color composite sinks complain that they stain (even though they supposedly don't). My personal opinion is you can't go wrong with SS because your faucet will likely be SS/chrome and it is a classic and hygienic choice that is tried and true (unlike composite which who knows what it will look like in 10-15 years), but please do undermount, you will not regret it.

    Also you will add a lot more "umph" and beauty if you replace your faucet with a taller one. You have tremendous space with the window over there so you could get a commercial type faucet. It adds a certain character and personality to the whole kitchen. I can't explain it but if you look at pictures you will understand what I mean. Now they make lovely ones that swivel and detach that you could use as sprayers (I would not advise getting a faucet that has a pull out sprayer because those break with time/use). A faucet is a very personal thing, and I actually looked at hundreds before I found "the one," but please consider height and curvature in your decision. And please do post after pictures!!!


    Jamie Webb thanked mamaloukos
  • 11 years ago

    if the picture of the kitchn is YOUR kitchen then wow don't need to change that granite! it's very pretty. Maybe you can just put in an undermount sink and tall faucet.

    Jamie Webb thanked michelesample
  • 11 years ago

    It is the current kitchen and it has to be changed because they are the cheap granite tiles not a nice slab and I have to change the drop in sink to an undermount. I totally agree it has to be undermount with a higher arc faucet. Any picks for the Faucet???


    I am also redoing my island at my other house and am putting in a Blanco composite sink in the truffle color. My contractor said the same thing about the lighter colors staining and I'm only changing to this because my stainless sink always looks filthy but I'm betting it's because it's drop in and the edges and top is what looks so bad. My sister had one and she LOVES it. I will take your advice and do stainless here because Blanco only has one sink that its small enough for those cabinets and I don't love the shape. I am now thinking a solid soapstone to keep with the rustic and will look at white but we assumed darker would be a better choice with all the light cabinets and natural light. This is SO tough. Thanks so much for all of you for helping.

  • 11 years ago
    Stainless undermounts are fabulous if you go with high quality. All stainless sinks are not the same. Faucets? I'm a grohe fan. Wouldn't have anything else, well worth the cost.
  • 11 years ago

    Sorry..this has nothing to do with your question…I have to say your view is absolutely breathtaking! Oh my goodness! What a beautiful place you live in!


    Jamie Webb thanked whynotdecorate
  • 11 years ago

    I just bought the blanco truffle. It's not installed yet, but I love the color! It's like a taupe.

    Jamie Webb thanked michelesample
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    OK so here it is: if you have a second home and occasionally use the composite and it is a medium to darker color then that is a good use of the composite and a good change for you. I bought a blanco faucet and artisan SS undermount sink and I love both.
    faucet:
    http://www.build.com/blanco-441331-kitchen-faucet/s206208
    sink:
    http://www.build.com/artisan-cpuz-2919-d10-kitchen-sink/s460477

    It goes without saying that you get what you pay for usually with things, and fixtures are no exception, so completely agree with kimberlysc about high quality, but it looks like jamie knows this (which is why she is replacing the cheap tile and sinks). Grohe is ok but not what it used to be. Same goes for Hansgrohe (they used to be the same company but split years back and at that time their stuff was just unbelievably made...and I am talking the stuff you don't see which is the important stuff, the rough-in materials.)

    I think my faucet is way too modern for your kitchen.

    I looked and I think something like this would be better for your kitchen:

    http://www.build.com/fortis-7849200-bar-faucet/s956030?uid=2376725
    http://www.build.com/rohl-u-4711-2-bar-faucet/s735987?uid=1144049

    You have so much light in that kitchen, so if you go with a dark stone it will take away from the brightness which is something you can't put a price tag on. A happy cook is a good cook :-). Good luck and keep us posted with updates and pics.


    I bought a lot of my stuff from build.com. They price match so if you find a cheaper price they will match and they have excellent policy and customer service (no taxes and free shipping too). Because I was ordering so much stuff it was worth it for me to be a savvy consumer. Just fyi.

    Jamie Webb thanked mamaloukos
  • 11 years ago

    I also forgot to mention barkeepers friend for cleaning SS surfaces (others too) plus the magic eraser. I am a clean-freak so keeping the sinks clean is a priority for me and I find that SS is the easiest to keep looking good. My friend has a blanco composite and it's white and it never looks 100% clean (not because she doesn't clean it). Hope this helps!


    Jamie Webb thanked mamaloukos
  • 11 years ago

    I love your faucet picks, thank you so much. I'm probably going to do a nice stainless sink now that I know how to clean! For the person who likes the view: This house is in Big Sky, MT which is a ski resort area an hour outside of Bozeman.