houzzerpolls

POLL: Towel bar or towel hooks?

Houzz Polls

Do you prefer a towel bar for your towels, or do you prefer to hang them on hooks in your bathroom?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Other - Tell us below!

• Mary Dillon

Hooks conserve space but don't dry as well and look awfully casual. I dry just-used towels on shower curtain rod then replace on hooks or rings. The back of a simple armless straight chair in bathroom is good for spreading out a hand towel to dry. Bar is for guest hand towels to stay neat and look nice. If place is overloaded with drying towels or handwash, I press into service the curtain rod across the window with the window A/C unit; if I had central air (which I never will since the ductwork would take up too much valuable storage space), I'd take care to position towel hangers of whatever kind above the vents...

Yes, it is funny that we address such minutiae as this on Houzz. But for example, if we commented in questions such as (how)/do you compost or do organic gardening, we could all learn from one another, and somebody deliberating the dis/advantages could get a quick rundown on the pros and cons -- so perhaps it's not too picayune to consider after all!

• grammieray

I found a heavy towel does not dryer faster, especially in a small bathroom.

• tooky58

We use bars that are wide enough for the towels-no folding- and our thick towels dry pretty quickly.

• Bonita

I am so done with towel bars - don't like the way they look in pictures - so plain. In one bathroom I have an old men's urinal (sounds gross but quite "catchy") stuffed with rolled towels and in the other bathroom I have a tiered wrought iron plant stand on a shelf - the larger bottom shelf for large towel the middle smaller tier for hand towels and the top small shelf for facecloths - all rolled

• writerinfact
    I said "other" because I hate folding towels to put them on a bar, and I can't put a towel so it will stay on the stupid hook, so I prefer a ring. Alternatively, my three children prefer storing towels in a heap on the floor, so I guess it all comes down to personal preference ;-)
  • Audrey Bronson

I've tried both and the towel bar seems to dry the towel faster since it is spread out.

Acumen Builders

Master Bath Spa Retreat · More Info

Keep towels nice and neat on wall hooks by looping your towels on rings before hanging.

• J K

I prefer a bar so a towel can fully dry and be reused without getting mildewed. I prefer a hook for my bath robe.

• Depo
    Hooks for our bath sheets and rings for hand towels.
    Cabinets & Designs

We think hooks look a little edgier. Definitely hooks.

Stone Harbor Hardware

Towel bars are great for larger spaces, but hooks are ideal for a small bath. Rings are a good fit near a small sink as well.

Westwood Robe Hook · More Info

Barrington Robe Hook · More Info

Westwood Towel Bar · More Info

Harbor Mist Towel Ring · More Info

Harbor Mist Collection in Bright Chrome · More Info

• ombader

For small bathrooms, like mine, vertically placed hooks near the shower take up much less room than towel bars.

• J K

I like a hook near the shower where I hang my robe and place my towel for when I get out of the shower. But then I hang my towel on a towel rack to dry. Even in my children's small bath, we have space for a robe hook and two towel bars (one across from the toilet, next to the tub and one behind the door).

• Jill Johnston

You can hang lots more towels from hooks than bars. Family never folds towels "right" on bars. Hooks look neater.

• momof5x

Hooks for bathrobe, and for towel to be used for drying, hand towels on rail, other clean towels in a basket.

• ridgebackmom

I was thinking about this for my 2 bathrooms: towel bar or a round towel bar. For the half bath in the mudroom I am getting a small towel bar and for my kids bathroom will get hooks. My kids would never fold the towels to look neat in their bathroom.

Pier, Fine Associates

We vote towel hooks for sure! They can be used for either towels, robes, or anything else you might need to hang up in your bathroom. With towel racks, you are limited to just using towels. And with towel racks, you would have to go through the trouble of folding them "right" so that they sit nicely on the racks. With towel hooks, you don't have this obligation!

• Maureen

Both have their advantages and suit different usages. Our main washroom is used by guests as well..so we a hook behind the door for our daily towel use, two hooks on the wall with a decorative towel and a terry robe - which look decorative, and a double towel bar with lux towels for their use. Everyone in our family brings in their own towels for their showers and hangs them to dry in their bedrooms.

Blue Lotus Designs

I prefer the heated towel bar, but it really depends on the design of the room and the space available to you. Hooks and bars come in many, many, styles and finishes. I'm sure you can find one of each that fit nicely into the design of your bathroom.

• chookchook2

Hooks. Caution, may offend

http://www.oddee.com/item_96777.aspx

Shake It Up! Business Solutions

We love the clean yet relaxed look of the towel hooks! As well as the functionality of them.

• Doc Sennett
    Today I installed a double towel bar. I've never had one before, but I think it's a classy look.
    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging

For practicality....hooks.....I'll be happy if I never see a towel bar again.

Harmony - Builder Model · More Info

HOWEVER.... towel bars are great for me to add color and texture in a model home......they love it :) I used a hair band over this towel just to give it a little interest.

• Lisa Williams

I vote for hooks too! Tip for renters -- You can use shower curtain hooks on your towel rod to create more function. Holds more towels, 3 or 4 and it's more practical and time-efficient than folding to lay over the towel bar. And don't forget the large command hooks :)

Focal Point Hardware

I prefer to use a towel warmer that has hooks. Myson and Amba make really nice ones with hooks and bar accessories so everyone is happy! I love my towel warmer when the days are cooler!

• bluedogdecorating
    I've had both, towels dry better on a bar.
  • Bonita

To me there is nothing attractive about towels hanging on towel bars so I use items like wrought iron plant holders - roll my towels and store them there. My fav is an old urinal that I stuff rolled towels into. Possibly quirky, but I like the uniqueness. My sister in law stuffs the into an open drawer of an antique night table. Of course one is left on the counter for guests

• Deb Byrne
    Towel bars in the guest bath that rarely gets used -- a neater look. We put hooks in the master bath when we redid it last year, and I'll never go back! I always hated the messy "throw the towel over the shower door" look.
    Lacey Construction Ltd.

We like a combo hooks, bar - the hooks are a lot easier for children!

• lyndaleebg
    Hooks, for sure. Few want to take the time to fold the towels properly to look good on a towel bar, and they definitely dry faster, great if you shower more than once on some days.
  • M B
    We had always had towel bars until we moved to a beach city in Texas. In that house we had hooks in the master bath. No folding towels after a shower or bath. Nice large hooks to hold our larger sized bath towels. I loved them. Until...I discovered a small amount of mold trying to grow on the wall behind the towels. Air did not circulate behind the towels because the hooks allowed the towels to touch the wall. Yuk! No more hooks for us. Every house since then has had towel bars.
  • Mary Nigro
    I must be a serious slob because It would never cross my mind to fold a used towel on a rod. Just throw it over and move on, and towels for display? Sorry,Martha doesn't live here. We scared her away long ago.
    Repp Renovations

Both are great!

• Lori
    We have 2 houses (one in Houston and one in the Hill County). Had bars in both houses. When we renovated, we replaced with hooks after a friend had replaced her bars with hooks and said the towels dry faster. I agree. The towels dry much faster. I agree that a towel that is not folded on a bar may dry faster, but neither of my master baths are big enough to hang two towels without folding. Also, when choosing hooks, be sure to get hooks that leave sufficient space between the hook and the wall so your towels are not resting against the wall.
  • Kgod256
    Towels on hooks look messy to me.
    The Organized Soprano

Bars are space hogs, but I think it's the best way to get the towels to dry the fastest. But if the hook is farther away from the wall (it's bigger) it might not make a difference.

• Lauren Cooper

Has anyone tried these Avanti hooks from Rohl? I'm wondering if bath towels will stay put on them. I bought the towel bar, but it is too big for the space—the towels will hang over the light switch. Also, it's big for one towel, but not quite big enough for two and I have a small bathroom. I bought two of these hooks for the back of the door, but am now thinking of buying a third and putting them on the wall for the towels instead.

• teamaltese
    Lauren, we have similar, and they work fine. The towels stay on the hook.
  • Lauren Cooper

Thanks so much.

• susanalanandwrigley
    My experience is towel bar=faster drying but,might be location - experience is with towel bar close to heating vent :)
  • rdurrett

One bar for clean towels to be used by a newcomer/guest. Hooks, or in our case, vintage coat tree for wet towels.

• Nancy
    We use double towel bars and drape a towel over both bars. Dries fast.
    Bathroom Butler

Heated towel rack of course

Mega Builders

Both are great options

• Jennifer Freeman

I can barely stand to look at a towel bar - especially an EMPTY one.

• Mittens Cat
    last year

Um, where's the "Just throw it over the top of the door as you leave the bathroom" option? :-D

• whalenma
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have a very large bathroom with minimal wall space for towel racks. We tried hanging hooks on the back of the door to the toilet room, but towels are not drying; I tried the hooks in the closet, and still no complete drying. I have concluded that even though hooks look nice, they are very impractical. I am going to try a towel stand.

• Mittens Cat
    last year

@whalenma, we also have minimal space. I decided hooks next to shower door and towel bars on other end of bathroom near walk in closet. Keep dry towels on hooks for easy access after shower, then hang wet towels on towel bar to dry. Rotate daily!

• Brooke Lewis

We have 3 boys (teens) all swimmers in a small bathroom. We are thinking two hooks each (bathroom towel and pool towel) how far apart to space hooks?