Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yabba05

Pls help me finish my room!

K Cupps
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I need help finishing the room! Ottoman or coffee table ideas and window drapes ideas desperately needed! Also need to relocate one of the circle items - mirror or paper wreath - but that is secondary. Wall color is Gray Owl, rug is shades of gray, light tan, and off white. Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (100)

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

A lot of comments, so I wonder what you are deciding. Lots of creative ideas so I am thinking you are moving things right and left. haha Keeping you sanity? Pic please of the things you like and have done so far in the room.

• patly
    8 years ago

I do have one little, tiny suggestion: it needs a plant, a real one.

That's all.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Of course!

• K Cupps
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks everyone. Out of town for work, back Tuesday with more pics!
  • takker
    8 years ago

Fantastic color choices, so serene....would love to kidnap that rug - just gorgeous -love the mantle mirror ( wreath is redundant- lose that -and 2 chairs)

• Aino Welch
    8 years ago

I would say that Victrola comes out of the corner and gets a place of honor on the wreath wall. Replace it with artwork that will compliment the Victrola. Put a large live,low light plant in the corner. Two wing chairs with backs to the window, facing slightly in. The little cube can be under window as a make shift coffee table. Move the dry sink closer to door and consider backing it with a screen for more privacy from visitors or strangers at the door. Or replace it with a taller two tiered shelving that could have books / display space on top for the room side and storage for shoes and such on the lower level. That will leave room for the red chair for reading area, if it is squared off back against the wall. The white chair can stay. The reading lamp may be less of a intrusion if it was moved to the other side of the red chair. Finally do hang the mirror, flank with one or two tall candle sticks (two different heights) and add a light curtain to soften the windows. Please post pictures once you figure it out.

• Darzy
    8 years ago

Our natural design instinct is to suggest the sofa, and two accent chairs for the typical LR. But, there is nothing wrong with your four chairs design! Here is a four chair arrangement sample in front of a FP. Designing the room with a purpose make the room useful instead of wasted space.

AbbeyK, Inc. · More Info

• PRO
    by "MAC"
    8 years ago

First and foremost, take your time. A few quick fixes to start. Clear the doorways..Move the chair from the doorway and place it on the other side of the window, Put the Victrola w/candles on the wreath wall. Over the FP a long piece of artwork is needed or something of your choice that is geometric. Round throws the symetrey of the room off. The Venetian Mirror can replace the wreath over the Victrola, also reflecting the light from the windows. The wreath can be placed over your dry sink or another place of your choice. Small table between chairs with a lamp of choice and the other chairs across. I do not know there is enough room for a coffee table but use you judgement. If this is a walkway to go from one room to another perhaps choosing side tables. Otherwise an oval glass top. 18" is needed from each side for comfort. As for window coverings. Neutral sheers hung high and to the outside of the window. Neutral wooden pool with finial ends. It adds depth to a smaller room. Suggestion... Tag sale time is a good time to find a great buy.

• Brenda Price
    8 years ago
    I would keep the mantel simple. Beautiful room!
  • favoredlydone
    8 years ago
    I definitely would put either a love seat in front of window. Add a chair and a half (sort of a sectional look) and place an end table anchoring them with a slim or clear lamp. Moving furnisher a further away from window would allow for more movement and utilize more of the full space. I would either move the sink over on the wall facing the window or place a short bookcase there (since you use the room for reading). I would place a large mirror across from the window to give more light and space. A large picture above fireplace and two slim tall vases on each side of picture. Tall Stand alone lamp in corner by fireplace and couch with maybe a small table should be sufficient. If you have space, a mid size round coffee table or ottoman would be nice.
  • Judy Moore
    8 years ago

Love that rug.

Move the red chair out. Put the matching chairs angled towards each other, with a small table between, in front of the windows. You said, no sofa, so move the white chair more to the right and angled towards the other chairs. Don't block either door. Move the dry sink on the left wall. Add some art above it and move some of the pieces from the mantle there. Add pillows that tie in with the colors in the art.

Hang the mirror if possible, put the taller candlesticks to the right and a medium sized plant on the left for balance.

Go for a coffee table or ottoman, but not a huge one. Sheers or panels would give it a finished look.

• K Cupps
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi. I have finally made some modifications after trying a few arrangements. Understanding I still need to hang the mirror and the art over the chest, add real plants not fake and pick a drape color (tried light airy ones too but like one of these), would love further thoughts! Thanks for all the great suggestions thus far!
  • K Cupps
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    A few more pics...
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

The room looks very chic! I do love it and think you love it too.

I would find elements for the mantle that show up and do it formal balance, the same on either side. But the sparkle is so perfect and is added upon with that fab cabinet!

I think a curtain would be nice in a pattern or geometric design. Since you have a smaller amount of room for design in the room using the vertical space on the curtains would add a bit of oomph and help to give the rug something to relate or pair to. My thoughts and my opinion. The window is beautiful the view is nice so frame it up.

I tried to find an example of living room curtain designs with floral, multiple stripe repeat, color block and geometric design. I know these rooms are custom designed but I think the retail market can do similar that looks good, or you can inquire about having stationery panels custom made that use less fabric and still look cool. Candice Olsen of Candice Tells All is always doing stationery panles and they always look fab!

The room is looking so lively and yet calm and welcoming----good call on the mirror and the mirrored cabinet. A just right amount of bling in a cozy place....don't you just love what you have done!

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Had to add this room with plants and tiny coffee table!

You mentioned live plant for the room and I love the bold size and angles of these. Plus coffee table could work? In silver of course! A pair under the window!

• Judy Moore
    8 years ago

The new arrangement works very well. Makes all the difference in the world. The live plants, if you decide to use them, will bring in some freshness. The reflective chest is lovely. I wish I had one. LOL. Love the way the pillow and light shades are coordinated. It is more open and brighter. You did good!

• Brenda Price
    8 years ago
    Just came to mind that I saw vertical strip curtains at crate and Barrell site. They appear to have a satin look which I think would look great.please take a look and give me your thoughts. I think your room looks fabulous!!
  • doods
    8 years ago

Beautiful, well done! Somehow with this new arrangement I think the mirror on the mantle looks good just the way it is, as does the rest of the room!

• Bea Parker
    8 years ago
    I would like to see the two taller backed chairs flanking the window and the shorter chair placed near the door. Otherwise, this is a great improvement from the original arrangement!
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Hang the mirror; it looks like it could topple off at any moment. Symmetrical arrangement at themantle.

• Michelle Lynn
    8 years ago
    Looks good!! Although I would still move the mirror to the wall and out the art over the mantel :)
  • Michelle Lynn
    8 years ago
    Put the art lol
  • K Cupps
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Something was bothering me after living with the room in the prior arrangement with the striped chair near the fireplace. While I liked it, I kept feeling as I came down the stairs and walked through the space it was too formal for me. And too formal for my family. So I took the suggestion and put both dark chairs against the window and I like it much better. Below are two photos one with the mirror over the mantle one with the art. This piece of art I believe is too small for over the mantle but it gives the idea of a piece of art. I'm not inclined to hang anything up yet as I'm still deciding what goes where but I understand they need to be up at some point! Look forward to further thoughts....
  • Bea Parker
    8 years ago
    Oh, I like this arrangement so much better! It just feels more comfortable. As for artwork and mirror, maybe the mirror could stay over the fireplace now. If you decide to put artwork over the fireplace, I would go for a large horizontal ( instead of vertical) piece. Good luck getting this lovely room just right for you and your family!
  • Michelle Lynn
    8 years ago
    I understand sometimes we have to live with things for a few weeks to see if it's what we want long term :) you are doing a great job! I still like the art work over the mantel instead of the mirror. I feel the mirror over powers the mantel. The art work complements it instead of overpowering it. I would remove the glass candles sticks and add something more wood toned - it's hard to see the glass against the light wall. I'm not sure the mirror you currently have is the right on for over the buffet but I do like a mirror there :) just some thoughts! Thanks for sharing all your photos :)
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Is still love mirror over fireplace because it spreads light and bling all over the room and if you do formal arrangement on the mantle with striking objects it will look stronger!

• Michelle Lynn
    8 years ago
    @soosun don't you think she would pull more light if the mirror faced the window? Plus she would have a reflection of nature instead of the stairs which is what she has now - just a thought :)
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I love Houzz! So many ideas to try out actually on the room that one might never have though of on ones own.
    Personally I refer mirror over mantle with symmetrical accessory design on either side to make it the focal point of the room.
    Mirrored hutch with resting art work could even have a larger art work behind it and resting on cabinet. That is just very personally what I would do, but......it is not my room and we are just giving our opinions which is great!

• bprice707
    8 years ago

I agree with Soosun,keep mirror over mantel!

• doods
    8 years ago

Me too, I think the mirror looks lovely over the mantel, especially with the mirrored cabinet on the other wall. with mirror on the mirrored cabinet wall it would just be too much. also like the two wing chairs on either side of the window. room looks lovely either way. This is such a fun post with all the different opinions, is your head swimming Keri ? Hope you are having fun too!

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I would like to see a symmetrical arrrangement onmantel with matching on each side, but if you keep the asymmetrical need stronger items on mantle. Look at some mantel arrangements on Houzz pictures and you will see that the items are highly visible. I think that is what I am saying, items on mantle should be making an impact.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Examples of what I am trying to say.

Traditional Living Room · More Info

Highland Park Eclectic Glam · More Info

Fairwinds Seaside Residence · More Info
    Like you divide the mantle in thirds and mirror takes up one third and items left over take up one third and the you have one third space?

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Examples of what I am trying to say.

Traditional Living Room · More Info

Highland Park Eclectic Glam · More Info

Fairwinds Seaside Residence · More Info
    Like you divide the mantle in thirds and mirror takes up one third and items left over take up one third and the you have one third space?

• adhaynie
    8 years ago

What a great transformation! But I do like the suggestion at the end to add something to the mantel on either side.

Congratulations! Good Job

• bprice707
    8 years ago

I love everything u have done,just a beautiful room. Perhaps a shorter lamp,it looks a little to tall,could be just a personal thing.

• karohill
    8 years ago

hi again! love the room with the mirror going over mantle and maybe the smaller art over the antique next to it somewhat. The lamps are great just like that, good reading chair. I personally like the white curtains but you could always dress them if you like up or down. A stripe going down the inside edge in gray or beige or across top or bottom might give you that look you want. Burlap is so nice now in colors and prints you should check out them in fabric store. You could also add a fabric shade in a fun print with lots of white background to tie in with your white curtains, that would be cute really just hanging down enough to frame the window and more sheer more than heavy to show off that panned window . The fabric print needs to be a medium size to fit between the rug pattern and the chairs. Oh there are lots of things to do with that window! I suggest art over the chest in as many you want clustered closely or 1 piece. You can match the wall piece in size as the one on the other side of door or go with one or more as wide as the chest. Your choice to rearrange it to refresh the room from time to time. And the plant on the antique, let's move it. Buy a tall plant and set it in a fun pot or woven color basket between the chairs at the window. Much more natural is a corn or palm plant for more casual room. Or think of this idea: get a medium side table to tuck in under the window with the height taller than a couple of the new pouffes they have now, that would fit under the table out of foot traffic until kids wanted to play games. Then just pull it all out between the two chairs and play games. These pouffes would be comfortable for reading with your feet up too and tucked away when finished. They come in fun or formal forms! Hey then no tall plant needed, the small one from the antique can move to this table by the window! Looks like you are doing great job, have fun, let it show your family's personality with games on the table or a book or two. That's like a coffee table not in your way!

• Darzy
    8 years ago

keri...your room looks smashing! I really like the mirror above the mantel and the art leaning on the mirrored console. I still vote for a small round cocktail table to put beverages on and cozy it up.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Me too! See pic above of cocktail tables, small, and live greenery! Being pushy, yes!

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Me too! See pic above of cocktail tables, small, and live greenery! Being pushy, yes!

• K Cupps
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Love these ideas!!!! Now "sitting with the room" for a few days, these are my thoughts (and many of yours!) but not yet executed:

- No mirror over mantel: with all the light in the room and the mirrored chest and the funky light on the ceiling in the entranceway it really does bling-up the room and I want a bit more casual appeal. It's our style. So I am considering putting it on the wall between the curtain and the front door. Then as you exit the home there's a mirror there. The wall is quite large so the mirror will not overpower it.
    -Wreath over mantel: The wreath that can be seen in the original pictures over the on the far wall potentially over the mantle. It gives it the rustic warmth that someone in one of the very early posts noted and casual appeal that I want. Have not yet temporarily hung it to make sure I like it, but will be doing so this weekend.
    - Mirrored chest: The art that I have will be hung there
    -Curtains: I very much like the idea of the cabana stripes that a few of you have posted and someone told me to look at crate and barrel. I think if I can find them in a non-silk type fabric and for a more casual appeal that may be the way to go.
    - lamp shade on mirrored chest: Love the idea of a white background with a bright, floral design. Depending on the base colors of the curtains....
    -Under the window: also love the idea of a tall table with two poofs underneath. Perfect for playing games as we were in there this weekend and had nothing to set anything on. And the floor was rather uncomfortable for my mom!
    -Plants: Will definitely add a tall plant (love corn plants!) and probably one or two others but will do that at the very last point. I completely agree they will warm up the room. And with the light my brown thumb may turn a tiny bit green.
    -Mantle: like the plants, are last on my agenda but want to use objects that are personal to us and therefore will source them either from the house or other locations over the next few months. For example, the rectangular glass container on the mantle has a collection of 1937 door glass doorknobs from the doors of our house from when we renovated.

It might seem like I am taking a long time on this room, but it is fun!

Keep the ideas coming!!!!!
  • K Cupps
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Although now that I am looking at the pictures again, I may decide to keep the mirror over the mantle or maybe one a little bit more rustic. It really lightens up the room. In any case, I will keep my options open as I continue to arrange things!
  • Michelle Lynn
    8 years ago
    If you decide to have a mirror over the mantel I agree it should be a more rustic mirror :) if you have a different chest (wood) that may be a better choice in that room. It is coming along great!! Can't wait for more photos! I wouldn't put anything glass on the mantel as you cannot see/appreciate It against the white paint.
  • Michelle Lynn
    8 years ago
    No wreath - I agree with others it looks too "holiday" for that room ;) looking good though!!
  • Darzy
    8 years ago

I like your current mirror very much. It coordinates with your mirrored console. If you go with a rustic mirror, then the console will be the only contemporary style piece in the room.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I think you need to keep the mirror as it relates to the very edgy console table. If you go for a different mirror you mirrored chest will look odd as it will stand alone and you will need something to relate it to. Paired items while not necessarily twin items, give structure and order to a room that at first glance seems random. I say if you change the mirror that lovely blingy chest will look odd. Just my opinion!

• karohill
    8 years ago

Keri,

You can put rustic things on your mantle or chest. mixing is fun. I have glass dome and big jar arrangement of the things growing at my house in Louisiana such as moss and different mushrooms , dried in that jell cat litter!!(DIY) These remind me of that home and history of living there once. I would never give them up. I also have a shadow box picture frame hung up with sprigs of different fern from the rain forest we visited on honeymoon I carry from house to house. They are conversation pieces too. You may want to lay the wreath down and have a candle arrangement in the middle, on top of furniture as well. Or hang the wreath over the antique and get a rustic picture with wild flowers similar to your wreath over the mantle and blend them together. I've seen the ones painted on wood slates as well. You don't have to just hang only the wreath, some similar pictures added around the wreath or on the mantle stacked in groups of 3 or 5 that you took yourself of kids or their artwork framed in same colors is fun! I'm glad you're having fun, I love to think out of the box! I move average of every 7-10 years and get to play decorator over again. Some people stress out if they don't look like a model home, but it's the life inside the house that counts and it's never book perfect. Ha Especially with kids and pets!

• K Cupps
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Loud and clear -- existing mirror over mantle. Personal objects and less blingy items on mantle. Add plants. Wreath elsewhere. I am convinced! Now on to the poof suggestions. Am happy to see ideas! (Note, there is an air vent not-centered under the window).
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

You can buy plastic magnetized vent diffusers in clear plastic and have the air flow back or forward thur the vent and not have to cover it up. We use them in our master bedroom ceiling vents when we want to reroute heat or AC flow; away to toward the bed.

• bprice707
    8 years ago

Just a thought,how about a couple of ginger jars on one side and tall candle sticks on the other.

• Lisa DeRamo
    8 years ago
    So pretty!!!