I am painting tonight and desperately need suggestions

Ideas on color of paint please. I have tolerated the burnt orange for 2 year. I am DONE and painting TONIGHT. :) I want to say that based on advice 2 years ago, I changed the mirrors to one single long mirror but other than a few pieces of décor, the rest is the same. Please give advice on what color I should paint. Thank you

It is not this orange, it is more of a burnt orange I just wanted to give a full understanding of the bathroom. I ordered some chocolate color roman shades for the two windows with thought of going a cream color but then remembered, I can get great advice from the people on houzz. OH, just to lower the eyebrows of all, lol, the flower picture was not a permanent fixture, I just failed to take it down when I took the pictures. Thanking you in advance for your advice.
Comments (117)
- 11 years ago
Flair I was thinking 6 to 8" deep cabinets. My rendering was not perfect and it would be best with bifold doors. I'm thinking a place for medicine and other items that are best behind closed doors but easy to get to.
dismukes01 thanked lucidos dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoI am back. Ok I took a picture from the floor up. One with with the flash on and the other is without flash. Remember, we are not done. We ran out of paint so will be going to get more paint Friday as my husband is of on Fridays. Flair you like the large mirror w/out any border or anything? I have TONES on storage. The piece of cabinet you see in the left corner of the picture, that is a large cabinet from floor to about a foot from the ceiling. :) I would have done a few things different if I would have taken the time to really look at the plans BUT don't they say you learn from each house you build? Well the only thing, this will be my first and last. Family land. :)
BATHROOM HAS A NEW COLOR. :) · More InfoRelated Professionals
Des Moines Interior Designers & Decorators · Lawrence Interior Designers & Decorators · Bemidji Interior Designers & Decorators · Kenosha Interior Designers & Decorators · La Grande Interior Designers & Decorators · Lake City Architects & Building Designers · Parkersburg Architects & Building Designers · Hackettstown Architects & Building Designers · Pierre Architects & Building Designers · Everett Architects & Building Designers · Lagrange Architects & Building Designers · Portsmouth Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · Galveston Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · San Jose Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · Chatham Kitchen & Bathroom Designers- 11 years ago
a new light fixture that is lighter and softer would help What is the measurement of the center of the left faucet to the center of the right faucet. I might have an idea.
- 11 years ago
another thought, it would be good to change the door hardware to silver. it will create some lightness down there and distract the eye too.
dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoHey flair.... happy Friday eve. Sorry, I haven't been on since Tuesday. I will post the measurements when I got home from work. Thank you for taking the time with me in helping to figure this out. Again, just want to get it right so I can avoid the holes. You know, I have seen MANY with silver knobs and stuff and LOVE that look. Will it be ok to have the silver w/ the bronze faucets, want stick out too much? I can sure do that this weekend. :)
- 11 years ago
yes, you can mix for sure, I don't think they will stand out too much, also this way we can change the fixture to satin nickel so it stops standing out so much... that's also why i think a simple mirror is fine, maybe even paint that one a softer color..that's just a thought.
- 11 years ago
Dis I need an image like this showing the ceiling and the floor and the vanity in total.

Straight on.
dismukes01 thanked lucidos dismukes01
Original Author11 years agolast modified: 11 years agoHey ya'll- sorry I am a little late. flair- the distance between the center of the 2 faucets is roughly 37 3/4. luc- I am not sure I can get a straight on shop because of the cabinet that is across from the vanity area. I will try again. I took that shoot standing in our shower. If you will, check back in the morning, I will see what I can do and if I can get something a little better, I will sure post it. Ya'll have truly been a HUGE help, I can't thank you enough. I haven't understood really why some situations get more hits than others and had about given up thoughts from everybody so again, I am very grateful. :)
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Dismukes it is the fickleness of Houzz and who logs in at what point when your dilemma is first posted. That being said you have a real issue with the vanity as it is not the norm. Trust that you will find a solution and hopefully we can offer suggestions that just may hit home.
If trying to get the image from the floor to the ceiling is impossible try from just below (at least including the top drawers) the counter to the ceiling.
dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoI wish I would have taken a closer look at the plans on a few things, I would have left off the little, what I would call a make up table like area BUT it is what it is for now. You know, I am sitting here thinking, wonder how hard it would be to take that area off? I would have to replace it with something. Oh my gosh my husband would probably stroke but hey, worth a shot. Is that throwing things off?
dismukes01
Original Author11 years agolast modified: 11 years agoand I repeat myself again, I am so very grateful for your suggestions as well as flair's, they have definitely given me ideas.
- 11 years ago
The dis-centered portion is not the vanity portion as that stands as a design element on it's own but the small drawer set to the left. Normally on a double vanity they are ordered so that they are mirror images where both drawer sets would be touching on the inside or flanking on the outside.
That does not mean you have to deconstruct this. There are many ways to make this design work. It's a matter of how you want to work the design so that the mirror is centered and the lighting does not look off.
Here is the issue that we have to sort out.The green line is the center between the sinks.
The outlet is centered between the sinks (green line).
The red line is the center of the 2 cabinets.
The light is centered to the counter (red line).
There are 2 common answers to this issue.
Option A: A full wall mirror (over the sink portion) as Flair has suggested.
Option B: Center the mirrors to the sink centers.
Option B will mean moving the light so it is centered to the sinks (or adding a light above each sink). In addition it will leave an odd visual space to the left. That space can be filled with a rolled towel holder, a cabinet or tower or a tall thin decorative item like a vase or picture.
dismukes01 thanked lucidos - 11 years ago
thanks for getting back to me with the measurements, I have this idea that we can really trick the eye, by using that distance. Kichler lighting makes this fix
dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoFlair I like it. So with this I would have that size mirror? Do you think I could get away with two mirrors and the 3 bulb light fixture or no? I see exactly what you are talking about the eye tricking. :) LOVE the floating shelves in the natural wood look, that will be a must.
Luc- I completely understand what you are talking about. When I first saw the set up and noticed the space to the left of the first sink was bigger, I remember thinking if that was a goof because it looked out of portion but never asked because it was exactly like the plans. I probably should have left off the small row of drawers to the left but oh well... :)
dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoFlair, I will be looking up that light AND will be purchasing my handles this weekend. My husband is finishing up the painting as I type.
- 11 years ago
good the shelves will add eye balance if you will, and pretty stuff to look at. that fixure is 36x24 inch drop.how long is the one you have now? we might be able to see what would happen if we got some string and plastic cups...
No do not do a three light, it will look like you tried to make do and you need the light over the sink area
dismukes01 thanked User dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoHey flair- the light is 40 1/2 long- 20 3/4 center. The outlet, the light and the middle between the two sinks are all in line together. ok so do you want me to get a string and two cups and add it to the light fixture at the drop you noted above?
- 11 years ago
yes, at 18 inches from the center of the fixture. im hoping 18'' out is where the last light is on the current fixture...
dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoflair- ok... here is MY doings with MY measurements. :/ I may be off a touch but my husband is not here who is the one that is EXACT in all measurements. LOLOL... OH... and I thought about something, I bet you meant for the 24 inch drop to include the cup as part and if so, well I will have to redo, I cut the string 24 inches. :/ Bless my heart.

I think my 18 inch measurement at the top slipped a little because it was just a little bit further out that what the picture shows. What do you need me to do to get you a better look? Excuse ME, no shower, been cleaning and so ready to get this bathroom done. :)
- 11 years ago
i just want to see where the cups sit over the sink, are they centered to it? And I think the measurements do include the glass. what do you think????
dismukes01 thanked User - dismukes01 thanked User
dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoI think they are exactly centered with the sink but now I will get my husband to check everything when he gets home and will post the update. That may not be until later on but check back if you will. I like that look. I will have to replace the entire light correct? I am going to look up the brand you mentioned above. also, I am going to google the natural wood floating shelves but do you know of site that sells that look?
dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoHey flair- I found the light you have pictured above. The more I look at it, the more I am not sure I am going to like having a small mirror but I am about to tape it out. I had another thought. What if I got a mirror the length of the light which would be centered between the two sinks? I am about to see what that would like also. I am getting very flustered. I just really did not pay attention to it when the bathroom was orange.
- 11 years agoIf you do get a light bar like that, use LEDs. We had one in our bathroom (there already when we moved in) and the ceiling was actually discolored from the heat of the bulbs. The static on the bulbs also attracted a lot more dust than we get on shades on our other fixtures around the house.dismukes01 thanked drbarb03
dismukes01
Original Author11 years agolast modified: 11 years agoThank you drbarb- as you can see, in a real dilemma about a mirror. I need to get this right given we just painted and do not really want to have to patch so many holes from uncertainty. I just taped off a mirror image 56 inches long which is the distance from each end of the sinks using the biggest point. I have no idea how wide this taping is, I just took it down to the end. :) Here it is. I might have to change out the fixture. I do not even know what I should be looking out to figure out what I should be measuring. Flair has been TREMENDOUS help and waiting for them to throw their hands up. LOLOL...

I cant get a straight on shot because of the huge cabinet that is across from it.
- 11 years ago
Although I like the look of that light and mirror it seems impractical to have to lean over to check for a speck on your teeth when brushing or when your hubby is shaving.
What I came up with as your least expensive option was the following.
A small cabinet to the left of the sink.
Then a mirror or 2 mirrors centered to the faucets.
Replacing and raising the light fixture keeping it centered to the faucets.
Balancing the right portion with pictures or a shelf.
dismukes01 thanked lucidos dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoThank you lucidos- I really like that look and may just be what I go with. I wanted to ask one more question and then I am MAKING A DECISION TONIGHT. My husband as taped off, taken down, re-taped and quiet honestly I am getting pretty close to being done. :) I really like these mirrors, he taped off both .. please tell me what ya'll think. I am trying to avoid it looking so busy. If I go with two mirrors I may put an open shelf in the middle of the two, off set the left with a taller flower, maybe as tall as the shelf ever how tall that is going to be and then the other side similar to what you have. I sure wish I had photo shop so I could place it like I am thinking. Anyway, here are the mirrors. I will post the size underneath.

22x28

25 h x 20 w. I would not use the rope and tese measurements are without the rope. My husband said I could go as high as 39 inches tall.
I will not bother you all again about mirrors after this. Once I get your opinions on these two I will take it from there with the suggestions made already. :)
I sincerely appreciate your patience.- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Both could possibly work. Your husband gave you a maximum height. Ask him to make sure that the mirror will be a few inches (at least 2 1/2") below the lamp shade and above the backsplash with that measurement.
You need to also measure the maximum and minimum width.
From the right edge of the sink countertop measure in toward the sink 1" and put a mark. From that mark measure the distance to the beginning of the sink. It will probably be 3 inches or so - double that number. Then measure the sink width. Let's say the sink is 24" add the doubled number. That is the maximum width of the mirror you can have. The minimum width would be the width of the sink.
I hope that makes sense.

dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoHey Lucidos- THANK YOU... ok he completely understands this, not so much me but I am learning. :) He just measured... minus the 1 inch there is 2 1/2 inches to the sink and the sink width is 19 so I have a max span of 24 that I can work with on each side right? and no, I know he did not allow the 2 1/2 inches from the shade and the back-splash so we are looking at roughly 34 inches in height. Ok so I am going to need something a little taller than what I have above huh? :( Me trying to picture it I just feel like 28 inches tall is going to look too short. Ok so back to the drawing board on looking BUT at least I know now exactly what I can look for. Do you think the two mirrors are going to look better and if I put the shelf in the middle w/ a plant on the left, maybe the pictures like you have them, will not be too busy? I also like the picture you have above using the mirror I have.
- 11 years ago
The large mirror you have is the wrong size..When I Photoshopped it in I altered it.
So if you want a visual of how the 2 mirrors will set up use painters tape to mark the wall. Then you can step back and see if it suits you. You don't have to use the entire height - you guys would want to be able to see the top of your heads in the mirror. So don't go too short either. In your very first image that's basically how the oval mirrors were set up to begin with.
Balancing the decor and changing the light will finish it off for you.dismukes01 thanked lucidos dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoOk so if it was you would you go with the two mirrors, a cabinet between those He taped if off for me last night using the measurements from the oval mirrors above. I have eliminated those because I feel those will be too short.
If it were you, would you go with the two mirrors? I have about made up my mind to go with rectangle or square ones. I know me thought, I will have to have something in the middle of the mirrors so either a cabinet or a tall flower? Whichever I do not use in the middle, use to the left?
Move the light up or replace it? If I move it up, how far up?
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Normally a light is placed at the same height as the door. Additionally, you do not want the bottom of the glass shade to reflect in the mirror because in adds a terrible shadow effect and glare which is a pain while you are shaving or applying make-up. That's why I suggested to drop down from the bottom of the glass shade a bit with your measurements.
But:
If you want/need a taller mirror then what the sizes are calling for then you will need to move the light up.
To answer your question, personally I would go with 2 mirrors. If you taped it out you will see there will not be a ton of space between the mirrors and a tall thin vase or (led) candle sconce is about all you can put there.
There will be space to the left of the mirrors and that will need something to balance the vanity in that extra space. You can use a towel holder or a small cabinet or a large vase or even small shelves to offset and make sense of the space to the left. That will allow the vanity top to look like it is evenly weighted.

As far as the light itself it's not the most sexy light I have ever seen. I would personally want it changed but that's me. It does appear to be the same oil rubbed bronze as the faucets and cabinet handles likewise you would want to coordinate the accessories on the counter top using the same tone of wood or metal or your accent color. I normally agree with Flair but in the case of this vanity a brighter handle only calls more attention to it.
One thought is to get a different set of globes for the light fixture that aren't so yellow.
dismukes01 thanked lucidos dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoThank you Lucidos. I have decided to go with the two mirrors and you are going to think I am crazy but I have been doing allot of thinking about the bathroom. What is sad, I have thoughts but again, not able to place or pull them all together. I am trying. OK... so here are my most recent thoughts. :)
I am seriously thinking about taking down the backsplash behind the sinks/down the wall and replacing it with the wider white crown molding. (like on the ceiling) :/ :) maybe? (see, here is where my thinking gets out of control but I cannot visualize per say) I am definitely going with two mirrors, that I know for sure. YOO HOO... I found a little arrangement I kind of like for the middle of the two. I will post the picture below. Actually, the picture is what gave me the idea of taking down the back splash. In the picture it appears to be white tile and I could even do that but thought crown molding would look more clean for some reason.
go with three mirrors of the same size and put a mirror on the wall of the drop down spot and utilize that for a make up table. (get a stool of course)
Mount a small flat screen TV on a pivotal mount. I would have to get hubby to add a socket but that would be ok. LOL.... And yes, I have decided to put a shelf or a large vases there to the left, depends on if I go with the arrangement in the middle of the mirrors. If I do, I will put a shelf or a towel holder. Love the one above, what site?
Ok here is the picture that inspired my thoughts, give me your thoughts please.

OH... and what kind of light would you put in there if it were you? I ask because I can probably convince hubby for us to get another one, if not, I will replace the globes with clear ones and push for a new one later. :)
YOU'RE THE BEST.- 11 years ago
Love the new plan you are going with. Gives the wall symmetry and interest and a very current look. Love the look with the moulding border. Just be sure that there is not lots of water actually getting splashed on it.
We have a TV embedded into a wall above our vanity area and I love watching sports in the morning while shaving! (You can see it reflected in the mirror-up high)
Kudos to you for being able to read so many different opinions and synthesizing what works best for you and your husband! That is what good design is all about!
From tear down to fabulous · More Info
Kudos to you for being able to read so many different opinions and synthesizing what works best for you and your husband! That what good design is all about!dismukes01 thanked Design Intervention - 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Ok lemme see...
2 identical mirrors perfect...the 3rd mirror the articulating arm like I posted before won't compete with the other mirrors or even a free standing pivot mirror. The other thing you can do is put a totally different shape there of the same style as long as it looks like the 3 mirrors are a related set. Remember we are trying to center your design and draw the eye inward not make it seem off balance.



The backsplash in the image above is decorative white tile like you thought. Don't remove your backsplash. You do not want wood there it will get gross.. but mostly you do not want to add to the visual confusion either.
Which towel holder above are you referring to?
If I was able to convince hubby...it would be a double or triple light above each mirror and one above the makeup station too. I suggest you select the mirrors first. Flair is the lighting expert, now that you settled on a design I'm sure she has some great suggestions.
With the ugly LED lights we are using now I would get a frosted glass shade. Just be sure that the part that fits into the holder is the right diameter.
dismukes01 thanked lucidos dismukes01
Original Author11 years agooh my gosh Design Intervention, I have to say a great big thank you for the compliment. I struggle very much putting things together. I know what I the look I like but putting it all together, well I am not very good at and because of that, I can sometimes end up with a big hot mess. BUT AGAIN, THANK YOU.
Lucidos- The crown molding is out. :) We tend to be a little messy when we are at sinks and oh my gosh if it becomes yuk, well I would be tearing it down.. ok now that I have taped it off, I am not going with the three mirrors on the same wall. As you said in an earlier post, that is a small space I will have to work with. (between the two) roughly 8 or so inches IF I measured right. I am going to stick with the two, put something like the picture above in the middle, put a hanging towel holder (maybe the ring style for a hand towel) on the little wall to the left of the sink that the light switch is on and then the space to the left of the mirror/sink put a tall flower or twigs whatever that is similar to the same family as I decide to put in the middle of the two mirrors. I was thinking the natural look with either the holders of the two or the flowers? OK... now for the little drop off, what about a more slender mirror the same height and in the same family as the two I chose? The only thing with no lighting, may look odd so I will revert back to three options: floating shelves, a collage of small pictures like you posted in an earlier post or a 19 inch TV on a swivel mount. I say all this BECAUSE I just do not think I will be successful at getting my husband to change the lightening right now. I will most definitely change the the shades. I found the frosted white today but they only had 4. :( They were very nice. Found them at the Habitat for Humanity so no ordering,
I really like the mirror I posted above, the wood frame made of teak wood but I am just very worried they will not be big enough at only 28 inches high. I have been looking for some compatible to that one, no luck yet.
On the tile of the tub, I am going to mount a towel holder on the side that you see when you walk in. I am figuring out what I am going to put on the counter or wall of the other small cabinet to the right of the tub. I mention this to give you so you will have an idea of how I am going to pull in my accent color which is going to be teal blue or aqua. I will pull it in by using the towels on the holder in the accent color. Other than a few other small things, candle/candle holder in that corner of the tub, I will be done pulling in color. Do you think that will be enough? the towel mounts they need to be in oil bronze right? If I get the soap holders, since I am changing out the light shades and my sinks are white would it be ok if I went with the white frosted look with the oil bronze insets or no? I have seen some that have like an oil bronze ring around the mouth of each piece. I am sure no one has ever matched their light shades but I only ask this to maybe break up the counter some.
I wish I would have discovered houzz before I built, man at the ides and the things I WISH I WOULD HAVE DONE as far as the look. I am a very rustic person, love that look but anyway,,,, I am very grateful for what I have.
Ya'll have been a blessing, I cannot thank you all enough. I will most definitely post updated pictures.
Lucidos once I hear back from you, I am on a mission to purchase my stuff. :)
- 11 years ago
My goodness you are on a roll!! It's so nice having direction and a plan and I think with a bit of nudging and your excellent patience you came up with one. I think that white and bronze trim sink accessories will be just fine. Your Teal/Aqua accents will work really well with your tiles.
As far as the mirrors check the used listing in your area or head to some of the furniture resale shops. You will be amazed and the fantastic finds you can unearth. Besides if you end up saving some money on the mirrors he may be more cooperative with the lighting.
Homes are always hind site. Things we shoulda, woulda, coulda done. The challenge is to deal with the bones you have as long as it is in good condition. You are doing a great job here, trust your instincts! By all means ask questions that's how we make better choices but in the end the home and design are your choosing. A home is kinda like having a baby, 100 people can give you advice but in the end you have to put it all together and make your own path.dismukes01 thanked lucidos dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoThank you lucidos. I actually went to a flea market yesterday looking, nothing but I am going to look more this weekend. I have my ideas now so I am on the prowl. :) I am going to be patient in buying the mirrors because I want to get exactly the right ones given that will be one of the main attractions to the bathroom. Please, all be patient with updated pictures. :) I will post as soon as I have it all together and again, with me looking for mirrors, could take a day, could take 2 weeks but I will most definitely post.
I love my house and everything about it I just would have done a few décor things differently if I could do it again BUT the things I would like to do I can always do later when the time comes to change or update. .... It's only 2 years old so to change out sinks and vanities just to get a more rustic look, not so sure that would be a good conversation. HAHAHAHAHA.... Now painting and stuff, he doesn't mind but I can only image his response if I said, " my sweet luv, can we snatch out that cabinet, get an old dresser for a vanity w/ the sink that sits on top.." LOLOLOLOL...
I will work on the lightening thing no doubt. :)
Again, I can't stress enough the appreciation I have to all of you for being so patient with me and my rattling on about stuff. It seems I have gone from one extreme to another and back again. :)
To be continued......
- 11 years agoIf you really liked the crown molding look, they do make tiles that you can install and get a crown molding look, but with the durability of tile.
- 11 years ago
You can't make a proper design choice with out exploring options and giving equal validity to all the available choices. In the end it's understanding why you are making the choices and being comfortable with them. Then, when all is said and done, realizing any choices you do make are just a blip on the time line.
You done good.
You are focused and sure of the path you want to take and have considered future choices in your decisions. If we all could follow your patience and applied logic to this dilemma there would be less dilemmas!dismukes01 thanked lucidos dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoHey houzz friends. I just wanted to give an update on the bathroom. WELLLLLL after taking back 2 or either 3 sets of mirrors already, Ihave resorted to a making some out of wood that was torn down from a very old house. I plan to stain it about the color of my cabinets. I have most all my decor and can't wait to pull it all together. :) Lucidos I sure hate to drag you back in or for that matter BUT if I see that the these two mirrors are not exactly what I want, I think I am going to resort back to one big mirror and wanted to ask, should I get one the entire length of the counter of the sinks only, not the little drop down area? Also, Lucios does the same rule apply, if I can't change the light right now, I need to allow 2 1/ inches up from the back splash and same from the end of the globe down?
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
I hope the ones you are making work out!
When doing a large mirror in your space I would center it to the sinks and use the same constraints 2 1/2" drop down and lift. This one is hung correctly.
This one is not
You can see how it creates a glare.
dismukes01 thanked lucidos dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoThank you. By golly I think I got it. LOLOLOL... You know I mentioned in my many post that my husband hung the long mirror centered with the sinks when he first hung it and I ask that he change it because I did not like it over lapping. I remind you of this because if I can't go with a mirror that is the entire length of the sink counter, (like the one that is with the glare) I will be forced to go with two mirrors because I will encounter the overlap again OR can I go with one the entire length but make sure the have the 2 1/2 lift and drop down to avoid the glare?
OH, by the way I read my post and WOW at the grammar errors. I just had to point that out but in my defense, I was typing in the dark. Is that a defense? LOLOL... ANYWAY, I will post an update as soon as I pull it all together.
Thank you all again. Have a GREAT Friday Eve. :)
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Hah!@ I do that myself. If you put a large mirror centered to the sinks then you need "something" to the left to give reason to the unevenness ...like a cabinet, shelves or a towel holder. Personally I think a cabinet would be best as you can use it to store all those things that end up on the counter or get lost in a drawer like toothbrushes, brushes and shavers.
Like this..

Then it's a matter of balancing the area so it suits you.

dismukes01 thanked lucidos dismukes01
Original Author11 years agoGot it. OK I may be MIA for a while, working real hard to get this project done... I would have never guessed mirror(s) would be the reason I am at a standstill but I will get there.
Thanks again. :)














lucidos