Software
Houzz Logo Print
ibseyb

A really boring problem--bathroom soap dispensers

11 years ago

I've struck out twice now with soap dispensers. Always used to use bar soap, but recently switched to liquid, and so now need a bottle. First one from Container Store rusted quickly. Second one from Restoration Hardware is super annoying--after a very short time, the pump won't pop up again by itself, you have to hold the bottle with one hand and pull on the pump with other to be able to use. Does anyone have one they recommend, that has lasted for at least a couple years, looks simple and classic and not at all like a plastic spaceship or somebody's demented idea of countertop bling?


Comments (9)

  • 11 years ago
    1. Nomo
    2. Blomus
    Classics!
  • 11 years ago

    HI -- Glad to hear that I am not the only one having this bad luck with these things . I have a dead box with about 5 or 6 past soap dispensers . Trouble is they don't make them to last in the wet and humidity . The little spring inside rusts out or breaks and the metal on them is so cheap they rust . I am back to having a soap dish . I have also gone through several tissue box covers and have given up on those too -- they just go rusty or they don't work or look good . The soap brand plastic bottles seem to last a little better but I don't like the labels. I have no solution to this and cheap or pricey pumps doesn't seem to make a difference either .

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks Lori East !!

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks all!

  • 11 years ago
    I have an in-counter soap dispenser made by Kohler that is very dependable and unobtrusive. After 8 years of hard use the pump started to fail, however, Kohler sells replacement pump mechanisms that can be purchased on Amazon for less than $2. Swapping out the inner plastic part is really easy. I will also add that the under counter unit holds a huge amount of soap so refilling is not needed frequently.
  • 11 years ago

    I purchased one at Winners 2 years ago , its made of clear glass with metal pump it was filled at the time , I just refill it .

  • 10 years ago

    Capeeliz:

    I am in the process of material selection for my kitchen renovation. I am considering Stages sink which is around 45" along with built in soap dispenser by Kohler.

    My question is....does Kohler soap dispenser come with the under counter unit? If not, then where did you buy it and what was the brand?

    Thanks in advance!

    Mindy

  • 10 years ago

    The two Kohler soap dispenser units I have in my kitchen (one for hand soap and one for dish detergent) were purchased by my builder. I'm not certain where he acquired them, however, I know he routinely used the local kitchen and bath specialty store. I did a little research and it appears that the body (the above counter portion), the pump assembly (the working end inside), and the below-counter bottle might, in fact, be sold as three individual Kohler pieces. If so, be sure to pick up a couple of extra Kohler pump assemblies to have on hand for spares as it will be the weak link of the system. As I mentioned in my post above my first failure was after 8 years of use and it's only a couple of bucks to fix (my pump assembly is Kohler part number 1041645 available on Amazon). Be sure to get Kohler coordinating parts for whatever body you choose - I'm not certain at all that it's a one size fits all scenario even within the Kohler line. Let me know if there are any questions I can help with.....