Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luz4u

Windows with Or without Grids

Doc Sennett
8 years ago
I need help with some decisions on my windows. These look out on my nice deck and a beautiful golf course. There are no houses on the opposite side of the golf course.

I would also like some suggestions on what window treatment might work best.
Windows with grids
Windows without grids

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago

Consider what the windows will look like from the exterior.

• PRO
    Eastern Glass Block
    8 years ago

I think windows without grids would create a cool look similar to buildings you may see in a major city. I think it would make your house stand out from the rest. You should consider what the outside will look like though before going ahead with anything, like what Mark said above.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

We favor windows without grids. From our experience grids increase cost and obstruct views. What style of home do you have? Are you trying to create a certain look from the exterior by adding grids?

As far as treatments, I think a gorgeous floor to *nearly* ceiling curtain that puddles onto the floor would look nice. I'd hang the curtains so their edge rests at the beginning of the window's edge. So your curtains, when open, will rest on the wall and not obstruct your views or light transmittance and create the illusion that your windows are larger.

Hope this helps!

• PRO
    Door Store and Windows
    8 years ago

The answer depends on the style of your home and overall look you are trying to achieve. Window grilles are typically seen on more traditional styles of homes like Colonial, Cape Cod and Tudors. Window manufacturers offer many options including colors, materials and grilles inside the glass. Plain glass panel windows generally lean toward a more modern, contemporary style home and offer clean, unobstructed views. With that being said, often homeowners with traditional style homes with expansive views sometimes choose to have grilles on the front windows of their homes, and plain glass panels on the back of the homes. This option offers the best of both worlds. Since you do not have neighbors to the rear of your home, this may be an option to consider.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

we used to have removable ones; i'd take them out in the summer and put them back in in the winter. the change was good, and the smaller window grids really warmed up the space when there was snow outside.

• PRO
    Brennan Enterprises
    8 years ago

Without grids offers a modern look to both the outside and inside of your home. It creates a clear view of your great view and gives them a nice house to look back at.

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

I would take out the grids and have a clearer view outside. I also take out screens on windows I don't open for the same reason.

• Doc Sennett
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you so much for all the help! I love the suggestion about taking the grid off the back and leaving them on the front. After reading your remarks, I called someone to come out tomorrow morning to price it for me. The suggestion about my curtains sounds great. As for the style of my house, I honestly don't know. I've attached a photo, so I'm looking forward to reading your responses. Next week I'm having a new column being put it, because the bottom of the current one is rotten. I'm replace the could column with a square one. Why? I simply wanted a different look. I'm also changing the edging from the street to the house. Not sure what I'm going to do, but this has to go.
  • Angel 18432
    8 years ago

I agree, that edging is not very pretty. I would lay grass to the driveway. Apart from it not looking very nice, you can't use it to step on, if a car is parked close to the edge. Make the new square post a bit beefier than the current one. It looks a bit skinny right now. Your home has curb appeal already. Just a few tweeks and it will look really lovely. Maybe a chair and table on the right of the porch.

• User
    8 years ago

I had grids on my windows and ended up removing all of them. The windows without grids or panes are more contemporary and clean and allow you to have a better view of the outdoors. I guess it depends on the style you are trying to achieve, though. You often see windows with grids on more traditional homes.

• User
    8 years ago

Is it time for a new driveway? Maybe a paver driveway and walkway?

• Doc Sennett
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Margo ... I'll add that new driveway to my list. It sounds great!
  • User
    8 years ago

ooooh, a fellow list maker;) I am always working on a list, lol.

• Doc Sennett
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Angel ... I sprayed the edge to kill off the weeds. A friend wants the bricks, so she'll take them. The grass will then come up to the driveway. I see what you mean, so I'll tell the contractor tomorrow I want a beefier post. I'll also check on the small table and chair to add to the porch. I wish I had a bigger porch, but I will work with what I have. It will be just right for me.
  • Doc Sennett
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Based on the photo of the outside of my house, what style would you call it?
  • Doc Sennett
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I met with my contractor this morning, and they are putting in my new square "beefier" post next week! Next comes the windows. I'm so excited!!! I'll post photos.
  • PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

With grids adds a European feel to the room.

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Keep us posted......................

• User
    8 years ago

Depends on furniture. Trad furn = grids OK. Modern furn = leave them off.

• Doc Sennett
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I love my windows now! Thanks for all the advice.
  • Angel 18432
    5 years ago

It's been a while. Looks so much better and the view so much clearer.

Bet your doggie likes the view much better lol

• Chet & Ruby
    5 years ago

Hello party people. I am Chet. We are buying a house and all of the windows are being replaced along with the roof. I was thinking about having the grids in the front and plain windows in the back but still can’t make up my mind if having them in the front is a good decision. I have attached few pictures of the house. help/suggestion/advice is appreciated. Thank you all.

• Chet & Ruby
    5 years ago
    chetshouse
    Wednesday
    Hello party people. I am Chet. We are buying a house and all of the windows are being replaced along with the roof. I was thinking about having the grids in the front and plain windows in the back but still can’t make up my mind if having them in the front is a good decision. I have attached few pictures of the house. help/suggestion/advice is appreciated. Thank you all.