edubya

POLL: How often do you redecorate your home?

Emily H

Everybody needs a change of scenery once in a while – especially inside your home.

Whether it's minor changes or a major overhaul, how often do you redecorate your house or apartment?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

"Before" shots · More Info

Every 6 months
Every year
Every 2 years
Every 5 years
I haven't redecorated yet!
Other (Tell us below!)

• 503housegirl

We are continually updating and freshening each room, especially at the change of seasons. This is any enjoyable and challenging task for us!

• b3laud
    My redecorating is always influenced by life events. A new baby, let's roll in new colors and accents, a relative moving in for a bit, bring in a comfy new bed and bedding, inspired by travel...everything's out, give me a new canvas! No specific time frame, but rather life changes.

POLL: How often do you throw out your sponge?

I don't use sponges, except that kind with that scrubbing material on the other side (to wash the bathtub and bathroom sink, with Ajax, Comet, or such). I let it dry afterward, and maybe use it a few times. If I lived alone, I might use sponges in the kitchen, but in a house full of people, I never know where they've been. I like using stainless steel pot scrubbers (see the picture) and dish wands (not the ones with sponges, but the bristly ones; see the other picture) to wash dishes. Wash cloths or rags (see the other picture) are nice, too. I used to be afraid of using scouring pads, but now they're like the easiest thing for me to use sometimes. I must have had tender skin. Maybe handling all those hot peppers helped. The receptors they activate aren't just for heat, but also for things like abraision (e.g. probably some of the same kinds of pain activated by rug burns and/or such). It would stand to reason that your body might think it needs to develop stronger skin if it thinks you're rubbing it against stuff much.

POLL: How often do you change your sheets?

I never make my bed -- the only time it's made is the day the sheets are changed (usually biweekly). I never iron my sheets; I never iron 99% of my clothes either. It's survival of the fittest.....if it doesn't survive being washed and dried and worn without ironing, it won't survive in my wardrobe. I also don't feel a need to clean my clothes or sheets beyond what the washer and dryer can do for me, which is pretty darn good.......even health care facilities don't iron as part of their cleaning or sterilizing procedures.

POLL: How often do you change light fixtures in your home?

Once, when I move in, or renovate.

How often do you replace the carpet in your home

Depends on the quality of the original carpet, and the wear and use of the room. I've had rooms where the carpet barely lasted 3 years because of discoloration (we finally gave up and switched to wood), but in my mom's house the main carpeting looked as good after 25 years living there as when she moved in, and I can't imagine any reason to have changed it other than altering the color scheme of the whole house. Then again, I had wool Berber in my bedroom when I moved into my current house, and we actually got a moth infestation that got out of the closet and into the carpet under the dressers (!!), so that gave us an excuse to get something more comfy on our feet. I hate to waste things, so it's rare for me to replace something Just Because. But I know many folks who like change more often than that, and I wouldn't judge.
  • cocoanlace

I redecorate every 20 years. :0) I tend to like my stuff so much that it carries me along for quite a while, becoming worn and loved. Compared to what I see in today's Restoration HW and Pottery Barn catalogs, my home appears quite dated, like stepping back into time. I hang onto some clothing the same way.

• Judy Wright

about every 7 yrs.

• wannadiferntlook

We're not so in tune with a timeline, but occasionally I'll redo something. We're still working on rooms that needed a facelift when we moved in 15 years ago... I don't understand what folks do with all the 'stuff' they cast off. I can't reason sending a viable couch or other item to the landfill; I walk through thrift shops, etc. and don't see a ton of used furniture and decor there; I know that CL is full of used household items, but is there really that much of an aftermarket for it if so much stuff appears 'out-dated'? A yard sale is always such a daunting project, I'd rather just open the house up and set low-bid limits on everything... too much work for my brain... Where does stuff go when a homeowner just 'waves a hand' and says 'get it out of here'? I know there's still some value in these items and its hard to just dismiss that value - that's like throwing good money after good money... the initial money wasn't 'bad money'... thanks for listening...

• Shabnam Barati

I am like Margo - if I don't have a new decorating project, I feel low! Make changes all the time as there is always room for improvement. Decorating our patio right now and loving it!

• gnumedia

Too busy cleaning to decorate. When I'm feeling flush I buy fresh flowers.

• mrsmul

Who has the money to continually redecorate? It's hard enough to keep up with the maintenance required when owning a home.

• lizzieturner
    We seem to redecorate every year. Whether it's changing wall decor and pillows to compliment a rug or knocking down and removing an old brick fireplace to replace with more modern gas fireplace and natural stone it makes things look fresh.
    Here is are some pics of the fireplace remodel. We are not contractors but working together, seem to accomplish what we set out to do.
  • shamasbay

Our main rooms are neutral, so I decorate seasonally. The bedrooms got redecorated when the kids left for college, then again ten years later.

• km_d

10-15 years...I usually wait until my current colors are going out, so that I know what the new colors are. They usually last 15-20 years. It saves my budget so I can do it right and gives me a chance to enjoy it.

• Casandra383
    I don't really 'redecorate'. But the walls need repainted about every 5 years or so. It only scrubs so much before it starts wearing off in the traffic areas. (We have 5 kids).
    We just moved into a mug larger house, so I am hoping we don't have to repaint before they are all grown!!
  • Elyn's Library

In the throes of a major remodel now, which, of course includes redecorating. Remodel is to adapt house to our retirement - so lots of "universal design" elements included. Extensive de-cluttering includes lots of donation, some re-purposing, and some just plain time-for-the-dumpster. I've always done seasonal changes - bedding in the bedrooms, pillows and throws throughout the house. Nice to include Fall colors in autumn; holiday colors for November December; I like to add cheery yellows during the dreary days of January-February; pastels in Spring and crisp whites for Summer.

• susanbfox

Not sure what you mean by "redecorate" -- all I can say is, I share custody of my teen son with my ex-husband, and my son says he never comes back to the same house twice! I seem to always be "tweaking", but I love it!

• acm

your text says "redecorate," but your photo says "renovate" -- that might account for some of the variance here!!

• katherinelizabeth08

Every season: I pack up the end of the current season into tubs, store them, and bring out the new season -- also in stored tubs. So the change now is already underway, as I have packed up the Red, White, & Blue theme and am letting my eye rest until next month, when I will bring out Fall. Over the next two months, I will have changed curtains, wreaths on the doors, mantle décor, the dishes that show in my hutch, the theme for my dining room table, everything in the bathroom; curtains, towels, and dish décor in the kitchen. Fall also will bring out more of the vintage in me -- if that were possible. Then sometime around Thanksgiving, I will scramble once again to get out Winter and Christmas. Although I get a bit of a break because some of the fall stuff carries over. Crazy.

• Laura Benjamin

Pretty much only when I move. Where the furniture sets down is where it roots itself to the floor. That's because of all the wiring in our entertainment/computing complex. It takes me a few years to work out colors so we may go through a couple of window treatments and rugs before completing a room. The bedroom gets new bedclothes when the old ones wear out. Ditto towels for bathrooms. I don't do seasonal decorating, just try to keep the clutter down. So I decorate each house once but it can take years.

• Lori Kessler

When you redecorate on the cheap you can afford to do it regularly. When you spend THOUSANDS, not so much. Large homes require a much BIGGER BUDGET small apartments you can change up all the time! With that being said, you can tell what season or holiday is coming up around my home and yard. One of my favorites is putting 75 pumpkins around my large front yard in groups of three. My neighbors LOVED it. I copied a local nursery's idea!

• redecoratingtropicalcalm
    Of course I'm always updating with fresh pieces as things are worn as well as typical holidays but real serious grown up redecorating - I think that is a factor of taste and I had the same Primitive taste for 20 years. I was in love with all of my dried flowers and grubby wooden boxes, bowls, and houses. Then something changed, I called it my mid-life redecorating crisis.

I started doing yoga at the same time we decided to get new carpeting so I was ready to loose my mind with all the stuff I had to move. I just wanted simplicity and Primitive is anything but simple so I packed up every last colonial flag, crow, and willow tree and gave it all to my sister who thought she hit the jackpot or that I was either dying or had lost my mind.

I was sick of the cold tones so painted every wall with warm tones and was inspired by a West Indies tropical style. Minimal wall hangings but plenty of palms and bamboo with matcha green as my color accent. Now I feel calm with less clutter and made a tranquil yoga room to boot.

So my point is I can't see anyone having the money to really do some serious redecorating but once or twice in a lifetime. I don't think typically a person's taste changes that drastically that often to do a major overhaul so frequently. I could be wrong though ???
  • franfromfl

We moved to FL 21 years ago and bought all new furniture and totally redecorated. Four years later we bought a bigger house and bought more furniture. In that time, I changed the shower curtain and bedding a bunch of times and changed some accessories. We also bought a new table and chairs for the breakfast nook 3 times. Other than that, aside from minor tweaks, we still have mostly the same stuff. Toward the end of the year we will be downsizing and moving to a townhouse. That will involve some redecorating. I guess I am way behind everyone else. I am attached to my possessions and part of me hates getting rid of good furniture that looks like new even if it is (horrors) outdated. You are lucky to be able to sell it and get pennies on the dollar or end up donating it. Maybe I am just a cheapskate. : )

GreenThumb Gardens

"redecorating' is a misnomer in our house. We decorate and furnish on a constant continuum. We have been in our wonderful old house nearly 20 years, and are still getting getting the living room right! Its not for everyone, but finding the 'right' piece (or at least one of the short list) is more important. the added benefit of the decor constantly changing is that we never really get tired of our house!

• jdd3612

Painting walls, moving furniture, and changing accessories can be an inexpensive way to freshen tired decor. I cycle this process so that there's something interesting going on in one room or other most of the time if I so desire. If it's a more involved project, I usually take it slow even if I live in a mish mash for a time. My husband is a very patient man.

• Anna Rhees

I wouldn't necessarily call it "redecorating" but I move the furniture, wall hangings, and plants around probably twice a year. I also move a lot, so maybe I just replace the house rather than the furniture! =)

• travnjac56

I'm continually adding or changing accessories so that our look is ever-evolving. But we invest in good quality furniture so those stick around.

• suezbell

My curio cabinet with glass doors serves as my "stuff" cabinet. Just moving some stuff to the front and other stuff to the back "redecorates" a bit w/o any major changes to the room itself. Does that count.

• houseatthelake
    Seem to like to change things up quite often. Our home has had many reincarnations. My favorite decor is quite often found objects used in new ways or things I have made myself. Can't always find what I want in stores nor do I want a mass produced item.
  • deb

It seems I get one room painted and I want to change another. I change accessories alot--get tired of the same old---may swamp something out of 1 room to another for awhile. Just repainted and redecorated the walls in my den. Next we have to paint our deck then paint our garage (inside which we never have done). Did Living room about 6 months ago still love it haha thank heavens... Change my bookshelves items whenever I get tired of seeing the same stuff. I don't go for trend--I go for what I like. Next in the house is the kitchen---has the same old "apple" theme--I want the chef even though I think that is old theme but I love the fat chefs lol....I love redecorating!!!

• Diane Fairbanks

My decorating tastes were NOT well formed when i was in my 20's and 30's, sad to say! When I got divorced and bought my first fixer-upper by myself, I HAD to do everything to be able to afford updating. My tastes are still evolving, though I find, as I grow older--60-ish now--I can get by with less if I change paint color, soft furnishings, etc., every so often. I am also lucky enough to be able to paint and sew, which makes new draperies and color schemes do-able every few years! Decorating is SO much fun!

• marsharebel

I'm always moving things around. Keepin' it fresh.

• abubnic

We are doing a mega-kitchen-remodel right now. 30 years in the making. But we have done refreshes and other upgrades (skylights, new electric panel etc) throughout the years.

Fletcher Cameron Kitchens

Redecorating can range from hanging up lights and mistletoes for Christmas to tearing down all the wallpaper and replacing all the furniture. How often someone redecorates depends on the time and money he or she has as well. Either way, I think that kitchens are by far the most difficult room in the house to redecorate!

• kristinanadreau

we have moved so often and every house is a flip. but I do take most of my decor with me when moving. I am unwilling to replace all my art work and furniture every move. When this house is complete, I believe I will have my next house be my last. I will decorate when I move in and then that is it!

• mynxr

We retired to the coast. We decorated in a coastal theme with slip cover furniture in the great room and leather in the bonus room. We change out nick knacks and wall art simply because we don't have room for all of our favorites in this home. We redecorate for Christmas turning out house and deck into what friends call Christmas Central. Other than that, we have great antiques and high quality furniture. I don't plan on changing it.

• mom3333

We bought a 1915 Craftsman in 1980, that had only 2 owners before us, and no kids. (the first owner for 3 years, the second from 1918 to 1981) As our kids were growing,we remodeled/decorated keeping in mind kids are tough on houses and now that the last has moved out, we are doing a more permanent, truer to style remodel.

Like I told my sister the other day, "A house is not something we own, it's something we do."

• Kathryn Gomez

By redecorate I don't know if you mean the entire house at one time which would require a "never" answer. But as trends change or we see something we like, we switch it up just to make life interesting.

• Karil

I try to stick with a style for a decade! I've done early marriage (hand me downs), cutesy country, Victorian, Tuscan and now Beachy. I can't believe how often people change décor! I may add and adjust, buy try to stay with a theme.

• whynottryit

Oh my, I stick with a style forever.... I don't do a theme so much as just personal loves. My themes are usually schemes (color schemes, that is). :D I hint at a theme now and then but it's more suggestive than explicit... a double entendre here and there. Or maybe a puzzle to solve that suddenly becomes clear. My basic loves haven't changed in decades but somehow over the years have managed to stay fresh and fun. For me, that's all that matters.

• Bev

I'm slowly redecorating right now until all of the interior rooms of my house are painted. We have been in this house for less than a year.

• baileysr
    About every 10 years
  • Ann Smitt

1950's Brick Bungalow - We redecorate 'as needed' for us that means when things look weary and in need of sprucing up. In 2015 -2016 we started a whole house remodel project. My husband skimmed our worn plaster walls, painted and then waited months before hanging anything to give the walls time to rest. We also installed new carpet in the living room and flooring in other parts of the house. Electrical and Plumbing work was done by the pros. Our home needed an overhaul, years of small facelifts kept her looking pretty but she needed her internal parts replaced or upgraded to help her continue on into the 21st century. We decorate on a small scale for the changing seasons and holidays.

• Ann Smitt

MOM3333 - Congratulations on your 'empty nest' restoration project. What fun it will be to restore your 1915 home to it's glory. You are right children are hard on a home. Keep that in mind when you do your restoration, we were empty nester's for the first time in 2006, after raising 4 children, we had the home to ourselves. An empty nest was a short-lived experience in 2009

along came our first of five grandchildren. We had to alter our restoration plans to include childproofing and playrooms for our newest family members. Enjoy the journey.

• Leeza

Lived in current house 24+ years, did a whole-house re-decor 12 years ago -- paint and floors and master bath remodel. But walls always neutral so I can change bedspread, living room pillows, bathroom towels, and kitchen linens every few years -- even the everyday dishes pretty frequently!

In the process of redecorating a 50yo split-level. Intend that the decor will last as long as we're in this house: it REALLY suits us!

That said, I've always wanted to do seasonal changes of the mementos on display. The fact that So.California has very little in the way of seasons tends to make me forget to do this! But, the new house has lots of storage so I may come up with a few things I change during the year cyclically.

• Etta McFadden

'Redecorating' our home is pretty much an ongoing process. Do/revamp one room. Head for the next room in a few days or a few months later. By the time we have gone through them all the first one is pretty much up to work on again. I don't live for change but neither do I believe in stagnation. I imagin it's pretty clear that we would fall into the 'eclectic' category as there are always changes that come up for the next 'round'.

• Susan Schutz

With a full log home it's not one of those projects that requires any more than moving furniture or replacing window treatments. I have painted some of the previously clear-stained wood trim and the wood windowsills to add some color and depth. With the wood being the same color we looked rather flat inside and out so the gray windowsills added some dimension.

• wannadiferntlook

I haven't read through all the comments yet, but I want to know what folks do with the 'stuff' that gets cast off/out. First, most cannot afford to just drop cash on new furniture, even just a piece at a time, on a whim or even on a 'schedule'. Its not just about the purchase price to me - its the strategy of buying more to get free delivery or the waiting for a few days to get it, and then - what the heck do I do with the one that works just fine that I already have and spent good money on? Donate it, probably not. Want to move it to another room? Um, lets say its a couch... Sell it? For less than half what I paid for it, nope. Chuck it? Not a chance.

I understand that some folks just change up a few pops of color, pieces of wall art, or even new paint (which can make all the difference), heck - I can do that. There are major differences between refreshing, restyling, redecorating, and totally remodeling a room.

Blue Diamond Remodeling

Definitely way to often! What can I say, It's in the blood!

• C Renee
    I think paint and minor changes every 5 years. Bigger projects like kitchen and baths 10-15 years.
  • C Renee
    My hubby asks me often if we’ll ever be done. I just laugh and laugh.
  • Leeza

re: wannadiferntlook

After over 30 years with the same bedroom set, 25 years with the dining room, and at least 20 with accent tables -- we gave the Ethan Allen and Thomasville to my brother and SIL. Better furniture than they could hope to buy. Replaced with much less price-y stuff that suits our new house. If we hadn't moved, we probably would have kept the furniture but changed out "soft-goods" with new slipcover, bedspread, tableware, etc. and just lived with what we had (quality, but did it suit the small patio home we were in? IDK).

• Deb Becker

I rearrange every room in my house. I would say Less Than 3 months. Usually it's like once a month. I move the couch around. I put new decorations out. I changed the kind of decorations I have. Dr. My neighbors and Friends nuts because they can't understand why I redecorate my house often. I love to decorate and I like seeing new fresh things all the time. I like change. The only thing I wish I could do is construction because there's a few things that I'd really like to do in the house like knock knock out walls. And we build cabinets and do all those kind of things as well.