Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilion

Select Surfaces laminate flooring (Sam's Club)

lilion
8 years ago

We're looking at this product for our kitchen/dining room and frankly, the reviews are making me crazy! For every five-star review, saying it's wonderful stuff that's easy to install and doesn't chip or dent if you drop a hammer on it, there's a one-star review, saying it's a nightmare to install and that it chips and scratches if your poodle walks across it.

Has anyone actually installed this stuff and, if so, how long ago and how is it holding up?

Comments (27)

• hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

Try reading Consumer Reports and google it with the words 'reviews' and 'complaints' and see what you find. Also check the website pissedconsumer.com and see what people have posted there. After that, all you can do is take your chances if you want to go with it knowing that a certain percentage of people have had problems with it. Speaking of that, I ordered a nice area rug through Home Depot that had some bad reviews saying the threads kept coming out of it so I was very careful with it. We finally had to take it back.....

• lilion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, that's all well and good, but that doesn't really help. Every product on the market has someone who isn't happy with it and the pissedconsumer site is only going to have complaints. I've read 1-star reviews for the closet system I bought at Menard's saying it's cheap and wobbly. I'd give it 5 and call it sturdy and terrific.

I have literally read reviews where the person says you can't scratch this stuff with your keys and reviews that say their kid dropping a hot wheel car on it ruined it. I want real people who belong to this site to tell me what they think.

Thank you

• hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

Most posts like yours go unanswered as it's so specific which is why I recommend googling it. And I realize the reviews are all over the place. I give more weight to posts on sites like pissedconsumer.com if the person writing the review found the product defective. Shipping or customer service issues aren't nearly as concerning to me as people who describe how bad the product was. A good example is Lumber Liquidators. We were going to buy our hardwood flooring from them till I did more research and read pissedconsumer.com.

All you can do is base your decision on the info you can find good and bad. Either way, it's a crap shoot.

lilion thanked hayleydaniels
  • lilion
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks. I understand and normally I'd pay more attention to the reviews if the things I was finding weren't so odd. It's not like - "It came broken" or "It came scratched"...it's "fantastic and scuff proof" and "scratches with a feather".

I always go to reviews first and then decide if the poor ones are something that's preventable. My closet organizer is a perfect example. Most of the reviews that were poor mentioned the corners being broken in shipping. We were picking up at the store and made them open the boxes so we could inspect them before we bought them. Problem solved.

But with this stuff? So all over the place? I just don't know what to think.

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Buy a sample to test yourself.

• honeybugy
    8 years ago

for whoever is thinking of installing it please think twice if you are doing stairs. The local Sam's club does not carry stair noses and you have to order it directly from the manf site. This should not be a deal breaker, but both my initial and replacement order were damaged 100%. None of them can be used. And it takes a good week for the shipment. In addition, there was no customer service reps available to take your call. I have to leave a voice mails plus e-mails to get a response. So, if you are doing stairs... think twice or you are stuck with Select Surfaces as the rest of the house floor is already installed....

• cindy freeland
    6 years ago
    I just finished installing in my entire home. Not difficult to install at all, did it myself with the help of my 13 year old grandson and my sister. Don't yet know about the scratching but I sure hope not
  • Chrissy Cates
    6 years ago

Mine has been in for three years and doesn't have a single scratch. Yup three dogs and lots of furniture moving going on as well! My husband installed the entire upstairs of our home. I wouldn't say it was easy because if it was, I should be able to do it. No way! He happens to be handy and had lots of great tools for cutting the thick planks Overall. Extremely satisfied!

• chris9327
    6 years ago

I know this thread was started a while ago, but from an installation stand point, there's a reason any click-lock type flooring can be difficult. If you have a ton of doorways and want the floor to be under all of your trim, you have to really plan ahead and do a ton of cutting. While I have not used this particular floor yet and found this because I was researching the quality of it, I have installed bamboo engineered click flooring. When you are in an open area and only have 1 doorway along the side (flooring running perpendicular to the doorway, it is simple. If you have any doorways that are parallel with the run of the flooring, this is where it gets complicated to slide the pieces under the casing and baseboards. I definitely recommend removing baseboards or adding shoeing, but it still takes planning. If possible, start working on the wall with the doorways and work away from it if there are no doorways on the opposite wall. With a little planning, it's still not impossible, but definitely makes the installation more difficult.

Hopefully my info can help someone. I'm off to find a few more reviews on the quality of the surface.

• Simona Stafano
    4 years ago

Anyone already installed this laminate? Please share experience. It is kind of too late for us we already ordered 1000 sq ft....

• Diana L.
    4 years ago

We have had it for almost 4 years. We have a dog that has long nails and when he gets scared he tries to run off but slides as he doesn’t get a grip of the floor and makes so much noise you’d think it will be super scratched. But no, he’s never scratched it. We live in Wyoming so snow is a factor, we mop the floor soon and if we forget, as long as it’s not left with a puddle, it dries up and doesn’t damage the surface. So good so far.

• Simona Stafano
    4 years ago

Thank you Diana!!!!

• HU-107713258
    4 years ago

I actually bought some of this for my new house 5 years ago. Surprisingly it has held up quite well! The only issue I ran into is my dog had a few accidents after we rescued him and if the seams get any wetness between them for any small period of time they will begin to swell. So now I'm hunting some more down to replace as well as cover some tile up.

So does anyone have any spare boxes of Select Surfaces Country Maple <-- country maple and not honey maple. The Country maple was actually faux hand scrapped and the new honey maple isn't as well as the country maple was a little smaller planks. I'm willing to buy some off of someone. Also, I'll take used and in good condition, only need about 100 sq ft or so

• Simona Stafano
    4 years ago

if anyone is wondering about laminate Select surfaces- bought 1000 sq ft driftwood. Amazing product made in Germany! Similar planks made in Germany in local stores are at least 5-6 per sq ft., Sams still has it for less than $3 per sq ft. The problem we encounterEd were transitions- we needed longer reducer pieces and order them directly from their website. They were thicker, shinier, different color. We ended up buying whatever is the best match generic reducer from Home Depot. otherwise amazing product for the price!

• Simona Stafano
    4 years ago

Anyone used Select surfaces EVP? I liked so much their laminate, wondering about their EVP. Sams closed doors in our state, so it is online only .

• PRO
    Uplift, LLC
    3 years ago

I had this placed in my whole house, upstairs and down, about a year ago. I got a puppy, who had urine accidents. It completely destroyed my flooring, even though the longest it sat was 4 hours. I’m currently replacing the planks with the surplus I bought. I’m looking forward a way to restore the other laminate. It has an original dull shine to it, which I like. However, it appears some has come off? It looks terrible in the light. I can’t find a customer service email for them. Does anyone have one?

• PRO
    Uplift, LLC
    3 years ago

Nvm- just found customer service. I will also add, with two big dogs, no scratches seen. Very durable, in that respect. Also, did experience some small edge chipping during installation. I’ve purchased some cover up epoxy, which I haven’t tried, yet. I also purchased the spill defense- I forgot to mention that.

• rae110
    2 years ago

Would you mind posting photos of your Select Surfaces floor please? We're trying to choose our floor for our new home but it's hard to tell from the stock photos on Sam's website.

• laura ramirez
    2 years ago

We installed it in one of our bedrooms 2 years ago . It was easy to install . We went with the silver oak it's budget friendly. We are doing our other 2 rooms but the only downside the silver oak was discontinued so we went with the silver spring it's almost identical.

• rae110
    2 years ago

@laura ramirez Have you had any issue with scratch and moisture? I'm thinking about ordering a box of the Oak Spill to see if the color is what we like.

• nbregar
    2 years ago

Anyone purchase the Heritage Oak color? I've bought samples and have put it in several places throughout the house. I love it in certain areas, but other places it looks a lot darker and appears it has a lot of variance to it.

• David Sayroo
    2 years ago

We are looking at installing select surface from Sam’s Club (Boardwalk or Rustic Grey) throughout our entire 1960 sf home. We’ve seen mixed reviews all over the internet but it IS an inexpensive product and people need to realize you get what you pay for. With proper installation, care and cleaning according to instructions, it will hold up as advertised. It’s a 12mm laminate with 2mm attached pad for around $1.70/sf if you have a Sam’s membership. Once we decide on color and complete the installation we will post pictures.

On a separate note, we did purchase The Home Depot’s Home Decorator series in the Montrose Oak finish. Is it a 12 mm water resistant product. Cost at the time was $2.09/sf plus vapor barrier and pad. We installed it throughout our 1200 sf barndominium almost a year ago. It’s held up very well with no signs of wear or scratching. Those pictures are attached.

• rae110
    2 years ago

@nbregar I got my sample of Heritage Oak and it's a very small piece. I'm not sure how the whole box would look like but the small piece that we got in the mail is much darker than the picture on their website.

@David Sayroo Thanks for the pictures. I'm also considering a different color (Calistoga Oak) from Home Decorators collection. How water resistant is it? We have a senior so need something that is a little more water resistant in case he has an accident at night.

• David Sayroo
    2 years ago

We are looking at installing select surface from Sam’s Club (Boardwalk or Rustic Grey) throughout our entire 1960 sf home. We’ve seen mixed reviews all over the internet but it IS an inexpensive product and people need to realize you get what you pay for. With proper installation, care and cleaning according to instructions, it will hold up as advertised. It’s a 12mm laminate with 2mm attached pad for around $1.70/sf if you have a Sam’s membership. Once we decide on color and complete the installation we will post pictures.

On a separate note, we did purchase The Home Depot’s Home Decorator series in the Montrose Oak finish. Is it a 12 mm water resistant product. Cost at the time was $2.09/sf plus vapor barrier and pad. We installed it throughout our 1200 sf barndominium almost a year ago. It’s held up very well with no signs of wear or scratching.

rae110 first off I have no idea how to work the comments since it won’t seem to let me make a new/separate comment from my original.

We don’t get a lot of traffic nor visitors (also no pets) and haven’t had any major water spills (that I am
    Aware of), so I can’t really speak to the water resistant capabilities. It gets dust mopped and a swifter wet or steam mop when it’s dirty and we don’t see any affects so far. The area by the front door gets the most traffic and moisture and it looks just as good as the closets and bathrooms. I’m very pleased with it and likely to use the same brand/line this month when we replaced 2000 sf in our other house.

On a side note, NO we do not technically have two house. The one in the pics was built onto my barn last year, for my parents (who live there, 100 ft from us) when they were both laid off during COVID.

• rae110
    2 years ago

@David Sayroo I'm not sure I would want to rip the floors each time my dog has an accident so I'll look for something else. Thanks for your feedback on the products.

• Tejano Videos
    last year

I purchased 1700 sq ft and had it installed by a professional, flooring looks great however I starting to notice chipping also, dropped a spoon while cooking and the spoon damaged the floor. I live aline and floor traffic is minimal.