Software
Houzz Logo Print
moxiemom

Working on staging- listing soon

11 years ago
This is where Margo is gonna hate me. (Animal heads). Just remember hubby lives here, too. I got talked into this rug by a designer, trying to add color. I don't love it, but it may be necessary for the task. Will not put down hardwood. We live on the floor and the carpet is new and of good quality. Different pillows? Too much by fireplace? Help me soon, I can't keep house neat and tidy forever!!!!

Comments (164)

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you Chook that's very thoughtful. I was starting to wonder if that was going to have a bad effect, but I've pretty much taken in everything I need from that thread anyway.
  • 11 years ago

    Nearly ready to list?

  • 11 years ago
    Realtor coming over next Tuesday. Today I'm emptying closets and trying to decide about removing wallpaper.
  • 11 years ago

    That's a big job.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Just give an allowance for that. Not sure it would be the best use of your time and energy. Besides, how do you know what to replace it with?

  • 11 years ago

    Just something very neutral, like paint.

  • 11 years ago

    If it were me looking to buy, I'd leave upon seeing the first dead animal on the walls. They totally creep me out. Other than that and removing the rug on the carpet, I think it looks lovely as is.

  • 11 years ago
    No, removing wallpaper in this room. Yes, I'd clean up clutter for pics and walk thru.

    This room is almost an embarrassment. The gross wallpaper and the ridiculous curtains must go. I would just paint a neutral color. Do you think this would be a good use of my time?
  • 11 years ago

    Yes, Moxie, I wish I could come and help! Have you got access to a steamer?

  • 11 years ago

    Honestly, I don't. But then I don't know your market. I would ask your realtor or someone that does know. It doesn't look "gross" by any means to me. Maybe a little dated but not bad at all. It fits with the rest of what I've seen in the house. Do you put the paper up or was it there when you bought it?

  • 11 years ago
    Yep. And vinegar, lovely vinegar. I plan on painting it the same color as the master bedroom since that where this bedroom is. Do you hear the 90s calling, maybe some Abba playing? Hee hee
  • 11 years ago

    If you put it up, and you know it's easily strippable, that might be ok. If not, I wouldn't touch it. I'd give an allowance to the buyer if it was going to be a deal breaker. I've tried to remove paper someone else installed and it was a nightmare. It was glued and plastered in places and the drywall came off with the wallpaper. Unless you're sure it's an easy things to do, I would definitely not do it.

  • 11 years ago

    I didn't know you could use vinegar. Margo has a new avatar.

  • 11 years ago

    ROFLMAO!!!!! @Margo's avatar. TOOOOO funny!

  • 11 years ago

    Chook it was suppose to be a surprise;)

  • 11 years ago

    YOU'RE FIRED!

  • 11 years ago
    I hear someone calling. On that phone by the toilet..hehe!
  • 11 years ago

    Well, I was surprised....And I think my neighbors heard me cackle when I saw it! still laughing!

  • 11 years ago

    knicetime- perhaps it is the donald calling for a comb:)

  • 11 years ago
    Isn't that phone a hoot! I guess I better be removing that thing too! Who is going to be the first one to change their avatar to Megan Kelly?
  • 11 years ago
    I am SOOO laughing out loud right now!
  • 11 years ago

    Chookchook...the weapons and the nekked room wouldn't be a turn-off if I were a potential buyer, but dead animal heads are another story altogether IMHO.

  • 11 years ago
    Back in the day, before cell phones were what they are now, if my husband needed to answer the phone, he needed to answer it now! Lost minutes are lost time! ( shaking finger)
  • 11 years ago
    Moxiemom, This is such a fun thread. Thank you for sharing your rooms with us. You're a good sport!
  • 11 years ago

    Moxie- replace the phone with an espresso maker;)

  • 11 years ago
    Not a bad idea, Margo! Whynot, I don't mind doing it and it makes me feel like I earn my keep, since I retired at a pretty young age. And I, personally, am sick of the paper. I'm ready to lighten up. Besides, when I'm home all day, I get to play with houzz on my rest periods!
  • 11 years ago

    I totally agree with that moxie;) I think that removing the paper and painting is an EX-cellent idea:)

  • 11 years ago
    Moogers "waving" at Moxiemom!
  • 11 years ago
    Moogers!!! You found me!
  • 11 years ago

    Hi Moxie, I deleted again :) also, I left a comment for you on ideabook.

  • 11 years ago
    Chook, I can't find your message in my idea book. I need a houzzers for dummies book.
  • 11 years ago

    No worries, just open your ideabooks and you will see a comments bar to click on. Let me know on there if you found it?

  • 11 years ago
    Moxi, I'll help you strip wallpaper! I vote yes!
  • 11 years ago
    You would? Really?
  • 11 years ago

    If we lived close, I'd help too. :) BTW...I've had luck removing wallpaper heating up 409 in the microwave and soaking the heck out of the paper.

  • 11 years ago
    Spoke to realtors yesterday. They said to do absolutely nothing. Except empty some closets, etc. We expect to sit on this awhile unless a miracle happens, so if winter sets in and it gets really cold and I'm bored and I feel like stripping wallpaper, I guess I'll just let it be. Realtors, two ladies, weren't even bugged by the animal heads, except the bear scared them when they went downstairs. I'm missing Margo now, as I really wanted to play with her head regarding the rest of our menagerie. Thank you all for your help. Now we wait. signing off ---Professor poops and Moxiemom.
  • 11 years ago

    Moxie, given the animals on the walls, I'm a bit worried about you playing with Margos head!

  • 11 years ago
    That's a good one Chook!
  • 11 years ago

    Can you message me on my home page?

  • 11 years ago

    hi moxiemom, you cant always trust what realtors tell you as they generally don't care what they sell the house for as long as it sells. Now I don't mind a tasteful animal head if it is particularly attractive and an animal I like but my boyfriend totally loathes all taxidermy and he would not be alone in his hatred of them. He is even a farmer and is used to dead animals and even shoots some when needs be!!! I would have to say even I do not like the one over your fireplace. I recommend you get rid of them and your little man.

    I believe the most positive thing you can do for your house sale is invest in fresh flowers and attractive real pot plants.

  • 11 years ago
    2dogs, hubby and I were just discussing this. The eland above the fp will go. We will leave the impala in the nook because I think it's pretty. And not offensive. Thank you so much for your input. We will have a picture taking session next week and I will do the flowers trick. The plants are real, but I could get some prettier ones for sure.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    2dogs has a point. Sometimes realtors will say "everything is okay as is" because they want to list ASAP and sell ASAP since the contract time is limited and would rather sell "as is" and get your listing agreement signed right away. Not that this is the case here because your home is lovely as is. But, I would heed some of the Houzzer's advice of editing a little and removing the area rugs in the dinette area and living room.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    What happened to Margo? She's a hoot and gives good advice. (I know her humor can be misunderstood sometimes though). Come back Margo. (Waving)

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks darzy. Our very close friends own the real estate company and thankfully, they will have our best interests in mind. Still, I have already heeded much of the advice I've received. Thanks so very much. I've pared down a lot, and the rug in the kitchen is gone. So is a lot of other stuff. I'll keep you all in the loop.
  • 11 years ago
    Also darz, if you go into" Lordy Lordy, " .....something, there will be a pleasant surprise for you :)
  • 11 years ago
    Apparently that site is gone. But I'm pleased to tell you she is still around.
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks Moxie...I found it, and the other culprit thread. Hi WCC...*waving*.

  • 11 years ago
    I like the rug. It brings in nice color