Software
Houzz Logo Print
pinksprinkles22

NEED PAINT ADVICE ASAP PLEASE!!!

11 years ago
I accidentally posted this in polls so I hope this is right spot! Our cabinets and crown moulding are BM linen white with brown stain resulting in vanilla color. We originally painted walls green to match window shades but they came out apple green. We now want something more current and modern, but it's tough with the cabinetry & lots of korbels! We painted the window and door frames BM Montgomery white HC-33 I think, trying to match the crown moulding. It's a bit lighter. We'd like to do the walls and window/door trim in a similar color...staying totally neutral. Not sure if that would be too much. We are looking at linen white, Navaho white and antique white. Those may read too white though. Any suggestions for wall and trim to match cabinetry? Thank you!!!

Comments (15)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Our kitchen has kind of a sage green on the walls that I really like. That color might work well for you. Now, I am NOT saying avocado-from-the-70s, mind! Light, slightly-gray-y-sage. Something Behr's "Tuscany Hillside".

    Or you could pick a green, or even the cranberry, from the painting!

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you Stacy. I think my husband would veto chocolate brown though. Because we don't have a lot of wall space, we were thinking of keeping it light and neutral. We do have a breakfast area that has more wall space which I didn't show. Any thoughts on a more monochromatic color?
  • 11 years ago
    Cydiego, I was thinking a softer sage green too, but my husbands been looking at Houzz too much and got it in his mind to match walls and cabinets. If the crown wasn't stained a vanilla color I'd do a more white trim and more vanilla walls but since it's stained I'm afraid to change it as there's no going back. Not sure if a lighter color would work on the walls though.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    If you want a lighter neutral color Antique white is nice, also take a look at Benjamin Moore Muslin it's a nice linen color that's very contemporary.

    Carmel Decor

    Stacy Koch

  • 11 years ago
    So pretty. Your neutral paint will look nice. Maybe a neutral that has a hint of the warm tones in your countertops. If you want more color in the breakfast area, use fabric.
  • 11 years ago
    I recently had painted the exterior and chose three colors off the paint strip. #1Body of house including garage door, #2 eaves and gutters and soffits and#3 larger area that I wanted to accentuate like the trim around windows and doors. Very subtle......painter thought I had stock in SW. But I love to look at my home and the nuances created by shades of paint.
    Oh, yes, to introduce the inside charm the main door is a lovely Caribbean Aqua........
  • 11 years ago

    If paint walls dark,no dark frames. Or do walls medium gray, it's in you island.

  • 11 years ago

    I love your kitchen look! if you want to keep the green I would change it to a darker soft green..kind of like an oceany green. Or if you want to keep the neutral look, I believe a cream color that is a little darker than the cabinets. I do not think chocolate brown would be best. Good luck!

  • 11 years ago
    The light mocha color you have in the dining room wall in your photos would look good in your kitchen.
  • 11 years ago
    Perhaps a light mocha color for the walls?
  • 11 years ago
    1st pic BM coastal fog, 2nd pic BM hint of mint, both would look good with your cabinets
  • 11 years ago
    Blenheimnewzealand We just did Coastal Fog in our foyer and all our hallway walls!
  • 11 years ago
    Carmel Decor. We used antique white for our living room trim and Navaho white for our family room trim. On the sample board they both look nice next to cabinets, but I think antique white has a slight pink tone. I'd actually like to change the trim in all the rooms to Dove white for more uniformity, but the kitchen is tough because the crown moulding matches the cabinets. You can see from the pictures that the doorway to the family room (thats Navaho) meets the kitchen so one sides one color and the other side is the other color. Not ideal. We were thinking of changing the family room trim to Dove white and lightening the paint color on the walls in there.

    I'll check out muslin. So would you do muslin for the walls and what for the trim? Would you stick with a color to match the cabinets? As I mentioned we used Montgomery white. Its not quite the same as the cabinets (a bit lighter) but still pretty. Or would you do the same color for wall/trim but in flat and satin?

    Thanks for all your help!
  • 11 years ago
    Blenheimnewzealand. PS hint of mint looks pretty too.

    The kitchen has a very yellowy cast all around. If I could redo whole thing I now prefer clean white, but this was done 10 years ago. Our rooms and trim are too varied from room to room. We did the coastal fog to neutralize...it took me a few weeks to get used to it (before we had Camouflage) but now I almost would go even more grey! We're thinking of lightening our family room as well.

    Thanks for your thoughts!