Software
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_beckham_ama

What do you do with this brick???

11 years ago

I'm getting into flipping houses and I keep finding homes in the area I would like to flip, but they have this terrible brick! What would you do with it?

Comments (20)

  • 11 years ago
    I don't think it is the brick li think it could work nicely with updates to the porch windows and landscape
  • 11 years ago
    This is obviously a type used around your area ,for cost efficiency go with the brick and update the other things
  • 11 years ago
    I would add timber porch rails and remove the iron,then paint around the windows and trim with a dark grey brown to make them stand out
  • 11 years ago
    If it is a color in the brick I would like to see the trim painted a deep, rich, brownish plum color.
  • 11 years ago

    Brandi- This is a type of brick in this specific area used in houses constructed in the 1940's. It's on a bunch of the homes around here and I haven't found someone that's updated a home that I like with it. I'm tempted to paint it, but I'm afraid with all the variations in the stone, it will look weird. It's hard to see in the picture, but it's not flat at all. Some of the stones jut out 4 to 5 inches. Very strange brick. Lots of people in the area have done it with a Tudor style home, but most of the houses in my price range won't work with the Tudor style.

  • 11 years ago

    I would leave the brick as is. As mentioned, wooden railings are needed. Is that " AstroTurf" on the porch? Obviously do something about that. Paint the door and storm door the same color and get spectacular landscaping. Do a nice light fixture, house numbers, and perhaps a lamppost.

  • 11 years ago
    Is this really brick, or is it stone? The surface looks very rough.
  • 11 years ago

    The wrought iron and the green carpet clash with the house. Choose a light color in the brick for trim and change the posts to timber as someone else suggested. The landscaping needs to be redone. If you are planning resale, keep the planting simple because the new owner will probably want to change it. I would love to see the inside of this older home.

  • 11 years ago

    Kpappal - It's a man made stone. It's a brick material made to look like stones and yes, it's very rough.

  • 11 years ago

    I like your suggestions- of course I would get rid of the green carpet and probably take out the ramp. I like the idea of adding posts and railing. Your color suggestions have got me thinking. Thanks for all your suggestions :)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Lime wash or mortar smear the bricks to improve the appearance. Here is the link that explains the procedures.

    http://diyhomedecorblogs.com/limewash-vs-whitewash-vs-smeared-mortar-or-mortar-wash-vs-the-worn-paint-look/

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I know guys you do not like to paint bricks or stones...But it looks not good. I would paint beige...or something monochromatic...Stones will do some texture.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    HI -- You could make the house look more cottage like with adding pine or cedar wood trims and box over the posts and add railings and steps . The steps might be under the ramp . The brick/stone could be spray painted with a masonry paint . Perfectly safe to do so these days . Or a few good whacks with a big sledge hammer and it may just fall off , then you could have a nice siding instead . Then up date the landscaping .

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I like the idea of rough wood large square posts with simple railing as shown in lorewren pic. Also frame out window on front of house and add simple rustic wooden shutters and an iron window box for green trailing plants. Have a landscaper do the yard; it needs a lot of water.

    I am thinking Provence Farmhouse in France. Rustic and chunky. See photo for elements that could be adapted to house exterior with out painting the house but adding elements to it. An architect would be able to give you plans for the 'look' with a small amount of money. You could also use the plans on any other house you flip.

    Note light trim color all around to brighten house, dark simple shutters, railing and support trim and glass in door of entry for brightness. Zinc metal finish would also look great!

    Whole house remodel, Silver Spring MD · More Info
    Click more in to get bigger picture and more pics of this house. Very sleek inside that can be adapted to your flip. Clean and modern and very pretty inside.

  • 11 years ago

    If you go to youtube there is a company in Arizona giving seminars for DYIers and what they do with two inches of concrete will blow your mind! They could put a completely different look on that house in a day! Email customercare@betterpaths.com after you check their site out- www.betterpaths.com (or org...I can't recall).

  • 11 years ago

    I don't think I can do shutters because of the uneven surface :(

  • 11 years ago

    Then just hang zinc or copper window box on windows and plant with trailing greens.

  • 11 years ago

    HI - Just plant some climbing roses or Virginia creeper vine or other flowering vine at the left front . Window boxes look nice but are a real paint .

  • 11 years ago

    Not if you fill them with silk plants!