Software
Houzz Logo Print
tneddog

The Elephant in the Room! Furniture Arrangment Advice Please.

11 years ago

I've been a Houzz lurker for some time and read the design dilemmas to the point of addiction. I need help with my odd shaped living area. We enclosed a shed roof porch to create a dining space and extra seating area because the living room is so small.

I would appreciate any advice on existing furniture arrangement and pieces that I should buy. The white couch--while I love the shape and low profile, it is in bad condition and needs to be tossed.

I would describe my style as "low maintenance pet-lover paradise". Ha! We live on a small working farm in Oklahoma.



Comments (39)

  • 11 years ago

    More pictures....

  • 11 years ago

  • 11 years ago
    You've done a good job so far! Sometimes you just need a fresh pair of eyes. As you have mission style furniture, I would work with what you have.

    I would eliminate the seating area by the sliders. I see that as a pass through/entry area. I would put a console table (mission style-same wood as your other pieces, if possible) under the window and add a buffet mission style lamp on either side. Add a house plant in the center between the two lamps-can be fake. I would put an area rug in this space. Either a square or octagon shape. Now I would put the over-sized leather chair in place of the white sofa minus the ottoman. This gives you more room to access the dining area. Remove the piece of art by the window.

    Now let's move to the other area. Replace the existing rug with a smaller one that doesn't go past then fireplace brick. Put one of your existing mission style chairs and the matching ottoman where the leather chair was. Put the other one opposite it on the other side. Add a floor lamp at the other end of the sofa-mission style. Or an end table and lamp like your existing one for setting things one if you think you need it.

    Now we are going to add some color! Love your kitchen cabinet colors. See pic of rug below. I love that it has the blue of you cabinets and also the yellow tone of your furniture. Plus the darker background helps with pets. Look for something similar-nothing expensive.

    I would re-cover/ replace your seat cushions with a dark blue denim material. Good for pets and washable! I would then add some mission style throw pillows. Add a blue denim pillow to the leather chair.

    You're done!

    Blessings to you!
  • 11 years ago
    Sorry, just saw the door, I assume the front door where I suggested you put the second chair. Maybe there's another room it could go in.
  • 11 years ago

    Wow! LOVE your ideas. Thank you so much. I love the idea of the denim covers--I have actually thought of that and the mission chairs and sofa desperately need recovering. Do you think I can use the taupe area rug in the other room? If I remove the giant leather chair to storage do you have any ideas for other chairs I can use in that area? I really want to increase seating. There are just two of us, (and three dogs and one cat) but we do entertain sometimes.

  • 11 years ago

    Yes, to the taupe area rug. How about two mission style rockers where the white sofa used to be and a small round table in between and if they will fit, two high back mission style chairs (look for narrow ones) on either side of the console all in a darker finish maybe leather seats if not too expensive? See pics


    The women will rock and the men will lounge!

  • 11 years ago

    I thought I was ready to move away from Mission a little but those chairs...........love

    Also, the sliders are really not used for ingress/egress. We use the mudroom and/or front door most of the time. So I am OK with "pretending" those are really big windows. I imagine those chairs are super expensive.?. My budget is only moderate but I can save and add quality pieces later.

  • 11 years ago

    Looks like you have beautiful views from your windows...... I would simplify. No window covering (if possible). Keep the punched tin cupboard and relocate the other, no need 2 cupboards together. (Remove painting from top of tin cupboard to space where small cupboard was.) Solid/textured area rug....tile gives enough visual. Lighter solid fabrics, nothing to fight the nice wood details on your mission furniture. Patterned toss pillows can bring out floor/cabinet colors(and can be changed w/seasons.)....paint the duct vents same color as wall... Maybe paint the upper cabinets a light color to brighten the kitchen. Keep only the seating you need...sorry, doesn't help much w/furniture arrangement :)


  • 11 years ago

    Thank you, Pam. The two cupboards together has always bothered me. Since my posting I got rid of the white couch, bought two wood frame simple occasional chairs with grayish- brown cushions and moved the mission chairs to the living room--ordered new neutral cushion covers to be made for those.

    Nancy suggested moving the "elephant" to the dining-sitting room which I did and am thinking of bringing in a slate top console table ehich I already have to put between the two chairs as she suggested.

    I never thought of painting the uppers. That is certainly something to seriously consider. What color do you suggest? We do need the drapes to block out the sun in the afternoons. It is still so hot here. Would another window covering look better?

  • 11 years ago
    We need more photos then, love photos! What do you grow there on your farm?
  • 11 years ago

    Lighting is bad right now. I will take photos in the morning.

    We grow Bermuda hay to sell and lots of vegetables and fruit (for us). I have a consulting business--work from home to support the farm. Ha!

  • 11 years ago
    Going to throw this out there...have you considered making the area with the two sliders the family room...creating a TV area and conversation area? Move dining to family room...
  • 11 years ago

    I have considered that--and there is a cable connection on the wall between the sliders. I just can't figure out how to arrange furniture.

  • 11 years ago
    Would be nice if that cable connection was between the pass thru and the end of wall...sofa between sliders..
  • 11 years ago
    The beige chair and ottoman are too large for the space and out of character with the rest of your furnishings. Love the suggestion of a mission rocker!
  • 11 years ago
    Maybe put sofa under centered under pass thru...perhaps you could find a pretty small old window to hang in the pass thru...that would still allow light, but give you something really pretty hanging over the sofa.
  • 11 years ago
    Love your blue cupboards in kitchen!
    tneddog thanked marsmom4
  • 11 years ago
    Something like this...
    I agree on painting upper cabinets...maybe white or light color in back splash. Or add glass doors to those uppers as well.
  • 11 years ago
    If you hung the TV between sliders you could put the lower cabinet under it...
  • 11 years ago

    Everyone always says he cabinets are blue! To me they are gray. It's a SW Rustic Gray. The backsplash has some cream color in it. Maybe I should try a mock up. I can't picture it.

    Yes, that leather chair needs to be stored. If I could only squeeze it into the garage and keep the mice away from it. I am trying to work with it for now. It does look a little better now. Will post pics tomorrow.

  • 11 years ago
    I love your home. My decorating style is also comfortable dog lover! I am really just posting this so that I will see when you post the updated pictures.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I like Libbmom's suggestion of using the bigger area as a family room/ TV area. Cables can always be relocated, and that's a nice, big space.

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you Carol!

    Here is a picture with the new chairs. The console table is to long to fit between them. I haven't done anything with the cabinets in the dining room yet. Husband is painting the bathroom today and I am not going to interrupt that!!

  • 11 years ago

    Libbmom and Papillon2--I am working on that --I have met some resistance. I will keep working on him :)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Photo didn't load.

  • 11 years ago

    OK....I'll just put this idea out there also. ( I have a very handy husband who likes a challenge.....) Open the entire pass through wall. (The above duck work above can stay and if needed add a wooden post at the end. Extend counter to living space (add stools for entertaining.) I've taken upper cabinets out of my entire kitchen...just got rid of what I don't use! Maybe you have uppers on the other wall. Amazing how large a kitchen appears! If not possible, I agree to paint uppers a light neutral color and replace with glass fronts. I, too, would move the living area to the patio doors.

  • 11 years ago

    Can't get my photo to load. Any suggestions?

  • 11 years ago

    I like Pam's idea. You could modify it a bit and remove only one cabinet, leaving the one in the corner, and still have a nice, long open space to the family room. I know--big changes, but I bet it would be worth it in the long run.

  • 11 years ago

    I had to upload to my ideabook then attach to this post !?!

    tneddog's Ideas · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    This is rough - kitchen left to the imagination - and possibly not to scale, but a suggestion. Can your TV fit inside the tall cupboard?

    tneddog thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 11 years ago

    Yes, TV could fit. This is what "I" would like to eventually do, but it's going to take months of gentle persuasion :) What do you think about the new arrangement. I swear that leather chair looks even bigger in the picture. All my furniture came from a much bigger house. I had to downsize and start over 10 years ago due to a divorce and my very poor negotiating skills. I did end up with the dogs though :))

  • 11 years ago

    Men and their chairs and TV's! How much trouble will it be to move the cable? If that can be done easily, just ask him to let you try it this winter. If he hates it, then you can do something different in the spring. You could put the two smaller chairs under the pass through window of the kitchen wall and his big chair just turned the opposite direction right where it is now to watch TV.

  • 11 years ago

    Can the table be turned and centered under the windows and take extra bench and use as coffee table or behind sofa?

  • 11 years ago
    Do you use the fireplace when you watch tv?
  • 11 years ago

    Yes, we use the woodstove. It provides a lot of heat for the entire house. That is my husband's point--that he likes to see the fire and the TV. I pointed out that the woodstove, while very useful, is not very attractive :)

  • 11 years ago
    Furniture can be arranged to make everyone happy. You have two new chairs to go with the mission sofa, two mission chairs, and the leather chair and ottoman. Which chairs are the favorites for watching tv?
  • 11 years ago

    The 2 mission chairs are the most comfortable for watching TV. Husband mostly sits on the couch and I in my chair. Most of the time, during sports season, I go upstairs to my office/tv room to surf and watch.

  • 11 years ago

    Really like your new chairs....BTW if you got the dogs you won!

    tneddog thanked Lila