Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bznbaker

Urinal in powder room

bznbaker
8 years ago

Anyone ever install a urinal in their powder room? Seems like a way to keep mess (splash) down and save water.

It does have the negative WAF but there are some not so ugly models out there.

Like the

TOTO UT104E

or

Kohler K-5244-ER-0 STEWARD

Waterless won't cut it. Seems smell is an issue and who wants smell in there.

Comments (23)

• jbher
    8 years ago

Following this! Having 3 "boys" in my house I have always joked that I would some day put urinals in a bathroom of our next house. Honestly not sure I would do it in a powder room - but perhaps a bathroom upstairs that guests won't really use. Just my two-cents. Looking forward to the comments!

• chisue
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Kids' bathroom, maybe. Powder room for guests, no. Even a wall hung toilet looks a bit too 'public lavatory' for a guest facility.

• bznbaker
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Upstairs? That might be a good idea. So you think it's a hard sell to the boss in the powder room? Here's a flush mount. Might not be so hideous.

And where do you mount it? You always have to consider the female view while seated. This seems wrong.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Why use the mens' room? I wouldn't want to see it...so definitely upstairs! LOL

Side note....if you decide to do this, do you plan to put ice in the urinal? If you have to ask why, you're not ready to have one :)

• chicagoans
    8 years ago

The only private home where I know of one is my friends' (very large) house, that has a huge basketball court/gym in a separate building but accessible to/from their lower level. The restroom dedicated to the gym is only used by guys and it's more of a locker room (so I'm told.) There's another bathroom in the lower level that's more typical.

That's the only kind of situation where I think I'd want one in my home. The Kohler model is kind of cool looking, but you need space in the room for it and a toilet, plus now you (or someone) is cleaning two things rather than one.

• faulstr
    8 years ago

We're putting a urinal in our garage!

• bznbaker
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Apparently Urinals have low WAF. Maybe in the garage, where women aren't allowed. :)

• jbher
    8 years ago

LOL okay I am new to posting on the forum's - what is WAF? I agree about the cleaning too - I would honestly be grossed out staring at a urinal knowing all the pee that is hitting it and realizing I will be cleaning that in addition to the toilet. I'm already planning a lot of TILE around my toilet because of all the "misses" my young boys ('er or husband on a night out) seem to have. Ugh. ;-)

• bznbaker
    Original Author
    8 years ago

WAF. Wife Accepance Factor.

• mrspete
    8 years ago

No thank you. You lost me at "not so ugly". Being a girl and having no sons, perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't really see the point.

• ontariomom
    8 years ago

We have three sons, so I certainly get the need! I agree to keep it out of the powder room (not elegant enough). The upstairs bath used by the boys (perhaps cleaned by the boys) would be appealing. The morning pee visits or middle of the night ones are the messiest anyway for boys if you get what I mean. Can you put it behind a partial wall in there so it is hidden? I understand urinals are much pricier than toilets.

Carol

• nini804
    8 years ago

Oh, gag. Not in this lifetime.

• energy_rater_la
    8 years ago

I worked with a homeowner who had a urinal in the downstairs main bathroom. big thing probably 18-20" wide & 3' tall. wouldn't want to clean it. bidet would be much nicer in master bath. IMO.

• chisue
    8 years ago

Love the photo with the "Sanitized" labels! I don't see the folded-over TP -- actually no TP!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    8 years ago

It says "Winterized". Does that mean the water has been drained so the pipes won't freeze? We don't have winter where I live.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

If they're over 5....have them clean up the mess! Their aim will get much better :)

(Worked with my nephews)

• Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
    8 years ago

I'm with Nina. I have all boys. Not in this lifetime. My boys aim improved greatly when i made them sit if they missed and is basically perfect since they started cleaning the toilet (age 7).

We have a lidded can and clorox wipes next to the toilet for misses.

• caryselle
    8 years ago

My brother has four boys and installed a waterless urinal in his home. Seeing that, we opted to do the same with our three boys, in their 'bathroom'. Ours will be a flush urinal however. I'm often surrounded by more than three boys when our older twins have their friends over (anywhere from 5-7 boys at any time). My boys are housebroken, but the design we laid out, allows the toilet to be separate in a water closet, the urinal in the bathroom, so at any given time two boys can get business done. It isn't for everyone, it wouldn't work in our current house. but our new place is on an acerage and yes, they could 'go' outside, but we wanted to be a little more civilized. The kids can keep a regular bathroom clean, they clean theirs.....but we chose a urinal based on the lineups we've had in our current house and a need. We may end up not liking our choice in the end, and the way the bathroom is designed, can be 'fixed'....but for us we wanted to try as it works so well for my brother's family, that we won't know until we know.....and we love those clorox wipes from Costco.

• mushcreek
    8 years ago

I wanted one for the bathroom in the barn (which will be used by company), but my wife strongly vetoed it.

• None Ofyourbusiness
    8 years ago

To the folks suggesting one for the barn/shop. Not to be vulgar, but, why not just go outside? Guess I live in the company of rednecks...

• Amber
    8 years ago

I'm so glad my husband isn't the only adult who misses after a night out. I feel less hostile toward him after this post..... ;). We didn't do urinals, but we did do the toilets without the weird divits that I always feel are mocking my having three boys..

• LilFlowers MJLN
    8 years ago

After working in a retail pharmacy and having to clean the urinal in the men's bathroom (we didn't have a janitor), I refuse to put one in when we start building. It doesn't keep the amount of pee on the floor down. The men sprayed the walls and still don't flush. (Over time, there even was a dirty hand print where the men put their hand to leverage themselves.) These were grown men. I have 4 boys and a husband who misses every single time. I have grown to love the recipe for getting rid of boy bathroom smells. (Lemon juice, baking soda...mix and spread around, let sit, then spray with vinegar and wipe.) I want a clean line toilet, one where there are no nooks and crannies for the urine to get into and stink it up. Currently, the boys have their bathroom; there is a powder guest bath; and a Master bathroom. Guess which one gets used the most: the guest bath!