Software
Houzz Logo Print
helena_cora

Help! Family room

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

I moved into a house decorated by the ex-wife. Its one of those cookie cutter homes in suburban America. The whole house needs major transformation but I don't have any talent for design or decoration especially when I have to change somebody else's horrid tastes. I am taking it one room at a time. The family room is the most depressing and dismal room that I am in a lot. It is also the room that we watch TV which needs darkness to see it - so the curtains need to be thick or have a room darkening panel behind the nice side. If money were no object, I would start from scratch, rip out the dull, old developers carpet and lay down rustic wood flooring. And get new furniture all together. When you see the picture you will see what I have to deal with right now. For the moment I think new wall color and drapes will do. My tastes are more Rustic and Mediterranean.

Any suggestions as to how I can "brighten" up the room at the same time not compromising the darkness needed for my husband's desires for watching tv? (Please excuse the mess. Just look at the walls and windows) And if anyone wants to pitch in some decorating ideas including pointing me in a direction for new furniture and all, please feel free to chime in. This place needs help!

Thanks, H.

Great Mills, MD

More Pictures below- other side of family room extends to the eat-in area of kitchen plus kitchen.

Comments (16)

  • 11 years ago

    If you want to keep the existing furniture, please post additional pics. I think a new furniture arrangement would make a big difference. What color is the carpet? Is this room open to the kitchen? If so, please post pics of the kitchen dining area as the wall color should probably compliment.

  • 11 years ago

    Ok. Let me see if I can find previous photos I have taken. Or I will take some new ones after I pick up a bit from Sunday breakfast. I have a big family - 5 boys!

  • 11 years ago

    The carpet is that neutral, builders standard.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Here is the transition place. Green on green! :P Please swallow and keep from gagging!

  • 11 years ago
    I agree. The dining toom buffet could be better suited as a tv console. Thr dining room pieces don't have to match, especially in a rustic style.

    Rearrange the furniture. Switch the positions of the couch and the two chairs. Move the couch to face the tv. I would center it so that you have access to the living room from the left and right side. Also, move the chairs where the couch is now.

    Please post more pics of the living room.
  • 11 years ago
    Paint the kitchen walls Ben Moore muslin to complement to complement the olive and brighten furniture, replace fan with white lower profile to blend into ceiling, furniture needs rearranging but need more pics
  • 11 years ago

    Paint the walls SW Kilim Beige. That will immediately lighten things up. Remove the pot rack. Visual clutter makes the room feel smaller. When you are not watching TV keep the blinds and curtains open. When I think about it we rarely have the TV on while it is daylight!

  • 11 years ago

    Re paint, all suggestions abover good for color :-) Move Tv to the patio door wall. Move buffet under TV. I can't see around the corner in the Fam. Room, but assume you have a 3rd wall there? I hope ...
    Get rid of black couch, and at least one of the recliners (and anything else in your way!) With 5 boys ... you need simple/simple to keep things tidy. And you need seating. You need a sectional (not an overstuffed one, but modern, low, clean lines and easy care upholstery) Think Ikea, not overstuffed.
    Hope the picture makes it clear?


    If you give me your room dimensions, with window sizing and door sizing. I would do a floor plan. Just not today :-)

  • 11 years ago

    Thank You for all your suggestions!! Yes, what you don't see is a third wall. There is a black futon couch along the 3rd wall next to a side table and my sewing desk. This room is indeed cluttered with mismatched furniture, partly because some of my stuff came over in the move and I just didn't know where else to put it in the house. The futon couch is there for more sitting room- We need seating for at least 9 people. I didn't mention the other kids who are at college now. I will look up the colors tomorrow. Oh and yes I can't wait to get rid of all the black couches, bulky lazy boy chairs and big side tables. Oh that first marriage taste in furniture and colors is a huge thorn in my side. Saving up for the complete make-over.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    If you got light filtering and blackout shades (2-in-1 shades), you could have the best of both worlds. When you want to brighten up the space, you can switch it to the light filtering shade. And when your husband wants to watch TV, you can switch it to the blackout shade.

    http://www.selectblinds.com/cellularshades/1-2-inch-day-night-cordless-cellular-shade.html

    Good luck!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    My Houzz: Bright and Airy Updates in a California Fixer-Upper · More Info

    Can you take a picture of the room corner we aren't seeing? This may or may not be your ultimate style, but something like this. I'm actually thinking a longer seating section (not a chaise, but a full L) I would have the long side of the sectional facing into your dining area, short end in the corner we can't see to the right. TV on the wall with your patio doors. But this give you and idea on how nicely it could integrate with your dining area.

  • 11 years ago

    In addition to moving the buffet, I would paint the walls off white and add color via curtains. This isn't the best visual but hopefully it helps.

    Sources: curtains and lamp from target.com, sofa from IKEA, coffee table from Craigslist, end table from Overstock.

  • 11 years ago

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    We have found that one does not have to have heavy dark curtains in order to watch TV. You can go as light and as colorful as you like, away from the claustrophobic cave look that you don't like anyway. Wood floors are a great idea. If I had to choose one thing to do at a time that would be the first one. I love the fresh green walls in your kitchen, but do you? I agree that you may want to relocate that pot rack. It makes the space look cluttered. If at all possible let the overstuffed chairs go and think about sleeker sofas or a sectional. How high are your ceilings?

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Sell everything except the console and the TV on Craigs List. I agree that the room should be painted a light color to brighten and wake up the room! Neutral whites are the new beige and Revere Pewter or Repose Grey by Sherwin Williams can be really beautiful too. Put the TV on the buffet and move it into the room. Then go shoppping and buy a sectional to begin with. Beware when you are shoppping; everyone will want to sell you the brown overstuffed sectional that will be too big for your room. Find a picture of the mood you want and take it with you; keep shoppping till you find it. You will, but you will find a lot of reluctance from all those boys. haha

    The set below could work nicely all the way down to the recliner; your room might hold two in a coordinating color or print or bright leather. No black, no brown, get what you love! The men will adjust; you set the mood they will follow.

    3 PC Tenner Collection Deluxe Beluga Fabric Upholstered Sectional Sofa Set · More Info
    I googled comfortable sleek sectionals with chaise. This is the one I liked the best as being neutral and roomy and not space gobbling!

    This is only 1199.00 so good achievable prices are out there. Check out more info for dimensions so you can tape it out on your carpet to see the best place for TV viewing. This is a great exercise so everyone can see what you are aiming for!

    Sell, paint buy and enjoy without you being the only one uncomfortable in the room. Celebrate your new marriage (I think) and your lovely new family! You can do this this weekend. Keep us posted for sure!