Software
Houzz Logo Print
vmonc

Window treatment for kitchen ... help!

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
Two years in and still nothing on my windows! The afternoon sun can be blinding, and hot in the summertime. Thought about plantation shutters ... or should I go with curtains? Or a board mounted valance?

For reference two of the kitchen chairs are black, and two are a dark red color. The family room to the right is all neutral colors ... only white plantation shutters on the windows in there, no draperies or anything! I can't decide on a style/fabric, so nothing has been done --- need help and advice!

Comments (11)

  • 13 years ago
    @vmonc. I am in the exactly same position as you are. So many beautiful images on Houzz but it is still difficult to decide which one is right. It is so hard deciding on the colour, weight of fabric, kind of fabric? Not to mention style of curtains: drape, roman blinds, bamboo blinds, drape and roman; inside mount or outside mount....? Transparent or not? Then the question is which shop to use to have them made? Will they do a good job? And the list goes on....:-(
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    First things first! Knock the first on down and then the next thing is easier. Stagnation happens to all of us. Start with a look, then field trip for fabric. Get the other senses open and involved, not just fingertips on keyboards and eyeballs!
  • 13 years ago
    The windows are very big and pretty, and there is not a lot of visual or actual space for curtains, so i would consider blinds or shutters. Both are excellent for light control without taking up much space. Also, I would consider whether anything can be done outdoors to moderate the excess sun and heat - perhaps an awning, pergola with or without vine, or even large potted treed.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Inside mount blinds as small as possible when open. The windows are beautiful and would be a shame to cover them too much.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    These are the smallest, and most compact top-down/bottom-up shades on the market. They are only 3/4" in depth, and they have NO headrail, so they take up almost no space! Here are some samples in pink to match your flowers, or white.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Shutter is always a great option for kitchens its what I usually recommend to a client when they have the space. I would stay away from fabric in the kitchen it tends to get dirty and catch smells from cooking.

    http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto/pvc-polysatin-shutters.html
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You have plenty of room for drapery panels, and you have a need for pattern, fabric and color in that room. For panels that are able to close, if youextend the drapery rod 12" each side of the window you will be able to stack them off the glass..tiebacks will help. They will be the most effective at cutting the sun as well. Mount the rod an inch or 2 below the ceiling molding and they will have a room heightening effect. As ironwood builders said...get out and physically look at fabrics and brig home cuttings to see what you like...much better than trawling online for fabric.
    vmonc thanked Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
  • 13 years ago
    Sounds like you have the same problem as I did. Windows face the west so dinner time is blinding and hot. So I layered my windows. First layer I put roman shades inside the window casing. second layer I put a pretty set of sheers then the third layer I put curtain panels. I have 3 large windows with 12" of wall between each one. So curtain panels are hang between the windows and on outer edges. You can really find some beautiful rods, I used the rod across the whole set of windows. The reason for the roman shades is to block out as much sun as possible in the evening and can be raised during the day to enjoy the view with just the sheers. Hope this helps you.
    vmonc thanked vickiric
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    If I did plantation shutters, and drapes (to add some color/texture/softness) should I do Sunbrella fabric since it does get a lot of light, to minimize fading?

    Here's what the area looks like from the cooking area of the kitchen. Any suggestions on colors/patterns? I like warm colors, red, orange, yellow, browns. There is one huge Turkish rug in the room (which joins with the family room) that is red, ivory and black. Taupe colored couch. Factory cart coffee table, and some antique trunks around. Antique milk jugs, etc. Bench with feedsack cushion. Have been thinking about linen for curtains, but then it wouldn't have any pattern. Maybe that's OK?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You could use Sunbrella if you wish. Just because you want linen doesnt mean it won't have pattern???? There are plenty of printed linens on the market. As I suggested earlier a trip to a fabric store like Calico Corners will give you plenty to work with. They also sell sunbrella outdoor type fabrics.
    vmonc thanked Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.