Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finndian

I've seen towels mixed before with solids and pattern

Paul F.
8 years ago

Can I mix these two patterns successfully? Should I? If it works... should the big towel be big pattern or small? Tags are all still on if you think I need to go with a pattern/solid.

These towels are by the same manufacturer and have almost all the same colors except a light blue/green that is found in one of the bands of the big pattern towel.

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

Comments (53)

• charleee
    8 years ago

At least one solid towel. And I agree with Jan, the pattern should be with the hand towel.

Paul F. thanked charleee
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So I guess you can kind of see in this pic that the top stripe in hand towel does not exactly match the Vera Wang bath towel but in person its virtually impossible to tell unless you take it under a spot light.

Does this work? Even with the diamond pattern?

• Maureen
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I prefer a solid and then you could add the wide striped towel..will feel less busy and more elegant. If you want more interest, select a solid that has a weave effect.

Linum Home Herringbone Hand Towels, Set of 2, White · More Info

Madison Ave Luxury Turkish Towels, 6-Piece, White · More Info

Paul F. thanked Maureen
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was just looking for a little contrast in an all white bathroom. The Vera Wang towels are a solid color with a weave effect like your Turkish suggestion.

• User
    8 years ago

I like all white, with texture. Colored towels never all fade at the same rate due to inconsistent washing and detergents.

Paul F. thanked User
  • Maureen
    8 years ago

Whatever you like...the grey looks fine, but feels a bit dark - perhaps a light blue would be a good compromise.

Paul F. thanked Maureen
  • Angel 18432
    8 years ago

I agree, white towels look more `spa` like. Colored have to be washed at the same time to keep colors the same. Add Color in other items in the bathroom that can be changed up any time you have a whim to `change it up``.

Paul F. thanked Angel 18432
  • Stella DF
    8 years ago

Finndian, I actually don't mind your towel choice together at all. I would do two 2 larger towels (in the larger pattern) with 2 hand towels over top (in the smaller patter), much like the photo barrowp added. As long as the colors are similar.

Paul F. thanked Stella DF
  • tooky58
    8 years ago

I say go for it, as long as your happy. Personally I find white towels boring & with our well water they get dingy looking pretty quicly.

Paul F. thanked tooky58
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 years ago

Soak-able, BLEACHABLE white bath towels always look fresh. Hand towels are a pop of color, which fade and acquire a "dusty" look over little time from frequent washing but are less expensive, so have more of them. Art hanging over the towel bar is "color", so too a rug on the floor, and even bath accessories ( soap pump etc) on the counter can be a color. It's a first world problem as to where you decide to put the pops of color.: ) It needn't ALL come from towels, but since we see color by comparison, the hand towel is most effective on a neutral, where it can be the star of the towel combination. Much like a colorful salad plate on a white dinner plate!

Paul F. thanked JAN MOYER
  • learick69
    8 years ago

Perfectly said Tooky and Angela the two towel patterns were fine so long as they have the same color contrast . It's all about your liking and taste I cnstantly mix patterns with the same color family and the patterns large with small as you have them the big towel should be larger pattern and the hand towel should be the thin ptrn . Also the trend is the hgtv pattern shown by barrow. Go for it especially in a monochromatic bathroom

Paul F. thanked learick69
  • Karen Skinner
    8 years ago

I really like your pattern choices. You are using the same colors but in different scales and patterns. I think it works!

Paul F. thanked Karen Skinner
  • tooky58
    8 years ago

We don't worry about washing the colors at the same time because theyr'e all different colors, makes it easy to tell who's who's.

Paul F. thanked tooky58
  • hoursoffun
    8 years ago

They are great together, but I wouldn't use the wide stripe as the bath towel. At least not on the same towel bar. Maybe if you hang the bath towels on "coat" hooks. Actually, that makes them much easier to keep looking neat. Also could mix it up and put one or the other prints with a solid (but wouldn't use the dark grey). .BTW, I just bought the large striped hand towels yesterday! Love the colors! Good luck.

Paul F. thanked hoursoffun
  • Kristin Marvin
    8 years ago

If you want to use one of your choices I would go with photo one. Something about the wide striped bath towel doesn't set right. If you want to consider a solid as many suggested that would look nice as well. I personally like the look of the pattern in number one as a both towel. This is your home, not a spa at a resort. Have some fun and do what you like!

Paul F. thanked Kristin Marvin
  • es_helzer
    8 years ago
    I would eliminate the ones with the horizontal stripe- it conflicts with the break in the wall and looks misaligned. I recommend a solid and then the vertical pattern to punch through the break in the wall. Enjoy!
    Paul F. thanked es_helzer
  • tarma
    8 years ago

I think the combination looks great either way, especially as a pop of color and interest in an all white bathroom. I think I would lean toward the wide stripes for the bath towel as in the second photo, but either way looks perfectly nice. Go for it!

Paul F. thanked tarma
  • cakhouzz
    8 years ago

Your choice is beautiful and perfect!

Paul F. thanked cakhouzz
  • hotzim
    8 years ago

White is a color. Really! You will hate the patterned towels within 2 years. With a solid color you can always mix and match a different way down the road. Patterned towels are hard to make look current once the color palette moves to something different.

Paul F. thanked hotzim
  • usanhall
    8 years ago

Whose towels last 2 years?..

Paul F. thanked usanhall
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow... I never imagined my design dilemma would get this much traction. I appreciate it! :) I think I like the combo together... the horizontal stripe bath towel with the small pattern over.

These solid color Vera Wang towels are of such luxuriously quality that I hate to return the sets. They sell out immediately at HomeGoods. I may keep a couple sets of them as well! Thanks again everyone!

• PRO
    Generation Interiors
    8 years ago
    I don't feel there's an absolute wrong or right way, but I prefer simple elegance. One solid with one pattern would be my choice. Depending on your style, it would look more Contemporary. I want to focus on the bathroom finishes, not the towels. I would choose towel colors that work well with your bathroom tile and flooring.
    Paul F. thanked Generation Interiors
  • sensiblegal
    8 years ago

I liked your first picture. They're just towels, not a major commitment like a countertop, so if you like it, I say go for it. Be bold and you will probably be happier than if you went with something more timid. If you don't love it later, then just put out one pattern at a time. No harm done. But I really think the patterns look nice together.

Paul F. thanked sensiblegal
  • learick69
    8 years ago

Im glad you decided to stick to your towel arrangement . Lots of great ideas were given but in the end its you who need s to be happy frankly i love it and with your white back drop there are so many combinations of towels you can create enjoy !!!

Paul F. thanked learick69
  • doggirl1
    8 years ago

I love it. The colors carry over so well. Forget the white if you don't like white. You would have to worry about white matching then. I love color in towels and you don't have to bleach them. I don't like the dark gray color or pattern. It throws it all off.

Paul F. thanked doggirl1
  • samijay
    8 years ago

If your first choice was mix patterns then it is the right choice!! Go for it! You could maybe add a third towel in a solid picking from the color you like the best!

Paul F. thanked samijay
  • stlouisgaltoo
    8 years ago
    Thinking as a quilter...large scale for the large towels. Smaller scale for the small towels.works! Also, a pop of color using small towels. Or even wash cloths. That is how we quilters roll! I Like your towels, btw.
    Paul F. thanked stlouisgaltoo
  • Teresa Smith
    8 years ago

My thought on mixing and matching color and pattern is pretty much --- DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!!!!! -- that is all.

Paul F. thanked Teresa Smith
  • Teresa Smith
    8 years ago

Now after saying that -- There are general guidelines many decorators and artist follow. Monochromatic - triad of color - complementary colors - large with small - stripe with floral - -- I think your choice is fantastic -- all in the same color family with small and large patterns together. Works for me and don't be surprised to see the same idea show up in the next fall interior decorating idea books.

Personally I love all the colors and all the patterns so I am always happy to see someone follow their own gut and experiment with something that catches their eye. If you like it -- then most likely there are others out there who do as well.

So I say GO Crazy -- Love the patterns. Use them all -- You look as though you already have a great grasp on what makes you happy. Trust the Eye which is yours -- not someone else.

Paul F. thanked Teresa Smith
  • buster57
    8 years ago
    You like them, that's all that matters. They are towels not a renovation. Enjoy your choice.
    Paul F. thanked buster57
  • Dottie Best
    8 years ago

I think your choices look great together. The soft, muted palette appeals to me, and the patterns make it more interesting. The colors/patterns certainly work together. I like your choices better than most of the examples in the article cited, by the way.

People who advocate for all-white towels must not have hard-water/iron/other stuff issues in their water. It is NOT always easy to keep whites pristine. I love white sheets and have had to move to choosing colored ones due to our water situation. (We have had our water tested and have both a metals remover and a water softener.)

Paul F. thanked Dottie Best
  • annieosanto
    8 years ago

I'm liking your choices as well !!

Paul F. thanked annieosanto
  • labincurlers
    8 years ago
    I like your bathroom and your towels so if you do that's great. My only comment is, if you are looking for contrast in the bathroom you aren't getting much with those colours, but then my bathroom is black, white and turquoise. :)
    Paul F. thanked labincurlers
  • spenserh
    8 years ago

I have a colorful bathroom with solid towels and a white bathroom with colorful patterned towels. My husband and I are dirty people. We have pets, we garden, we work on cars. He has no idea towels are a decorative item and I have no interest in working hard enough to keep white towels white.

Paul F. thanked spenserh
  • joverstreet21
    8 years ago
    There are no rules! I love pattern mixing - and your choices are fabulous! White towels are highly over-rated in my opinion. A mix of pattern and texture adds visual interest.
    Paul F. thanked joverstreet21
  • abbadabba123
    8 years ago

My guest bath ... sanded & stained an old fence board, attached boating cleats, and use textured white towels ...

Paul F. thanked abbadabba123
  • ljfq
    8 years ago

Love your fun combo! Maybe you could replace the smaller fat stripe with a solid one in the pale blue-green you mentioned, or at least mix in that green shade somehow.

Paul F. thanked ljfq
  • rubyloves2shop
    8 years ago

Towels are a way to have fun so I say mix it up! It is probably the least expensive way to add color, and patterns. There is no hard rule, if it is the same color family you certainly can mix patterns. I like the stripe or linear theme you chose and find it works just fine on such a neutral wall.

Paul F. thanked rubyloves2shop
  • Nancy Piscitello
    8 years ago
    I think the two patterns look great together and something fun and unexpected! KEEP EM! Especially if YOU like them!
    Paul F. thanked Nancy Piscitello
  • Molly S
    8 years ago

I think they look good together and you should keep it! It's something different and fresh.

I love the tile in your shower also!

Paul F. thanked Molly S
  • Momof5x
    8 years ago

Fold the towel with the big stripes that is horizontal presently- into a vertical fold and place the the big towels on the towel rail next to each other with the small, thinner, striped towel on top of the big towel with wide stripes. See how it looks. I think it will works since they are similar.

Paul F. thanked Momof5x
  • PRO
    Mariano & Co., LLC
    8 years ago

If you incorporate a nice solid textured towel with a busy patterned towel it would work! The only way I would recommend using several busy patterned towels would be in a wicker basket or folded on decorative shelving. Not folded on a towel bar. They are both very similar as well. Have fun with it!

• dichis
    8 years ago

Since they're all in the same tonal family I think they look fine together. White towels can look institutional - like a hotel or hospital. I like something more personal and cosseting.

• merrigay
    8 years ago

I like your combo very much in your first pic.

• PRO
    ldpram
    8 years ago

I have gray walls in my master and like the look of white towels next to it; however, I have white quartz countertops so I use aqua hand towels (which match the white towels) to add color to the sink areas.

• Patty McGrew
    8 years ago
    I love the mixed patterns! I have colored towels...always have. I've never had an issue wth them fading disproportionately? But...I don't just one color or pattern. I always at least 2 or 3 colors in my bathrooms..haven't had any complaints yet! Go for it---rules are for fools!
  • nbhutia07
    8 years ago
    I think u could contrast either of your patern towels with a bright solid coloured towel (like sage green or dark brown) to match with your bathroom walls too.
  • PRO
    Dadya Trade and Consulting L.L.C.
    8 years ago

Well Deserved Luxury