Software
Houzz Logo Print
iamskc

Pic! How would you darken these TALL nursery windows?

11 years ago

Hello friends. I'll want the ability to black out this light at bedtime to encourage sleep. But also easily let the sun in during play time. This particular size and height and the way it stops at wainscot trim has me perplexed. Curtains that start above the very top and fall... to floor? to top of wainscot? Or do I do some kind of custom blinds instead? I love the look of those two little top windows but I'm afraid I'll cover them at bedtime and never UN cover them due to pure convenience. Would love any suggestions. The measurements from the top of the window just under the added crown molding piece is 114 to floor!! And 63 inches wide. Thank you!

Uplaod test · More Info

Comments (17)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I would have curtains hung with the rod (use remote control) hung just below the crown and extend down to the floor. Have the rod extend out so that more of the window shows.

    Example: http://www.budgetblinds.com/draperies/somfy-motorized-drapes/

  • 11 years ago

    How about room darkening curtains. I have a lovely pair from Overstock that are 120 inches. I got them for a steal and they do the job and look far more expensive. I just close them at night and open them in the morning. Very simple!

    Here is a rough mockup.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks and yes they do black out the light completely. I will send you a link.

    I haven't posted pics of the whole shebang yet bc it is not ready to be shown just yet. lol

    The island color is SW Brainstorm Bronze. It is also the color of my living room.

    I have antique beige but they have other colors as well. I love mine!

    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Faux-Silk-Taffeta-Solid-Blackout-Curtain-Panel/9086835/product.html


  • 11 years ago

    Btw the ones I used in the mock up are not the ones I have, however pretty similar.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Love this look. Only issue is a kid pulling/hanging on the curtains.

    Aktillery, how thick are these curtains? Would they also keep out some draft? Asking for DD, who does not swing on drapes anymore.

  • 11 years ago

    They are super thick. The front is the material you see. In the
    middle is a thick black liner and then the outside is a white liner.
    They also have weights at the bottom. They would definitely keep out
    some draft!!

    These are terrible pics but I have them closed now as
    I am in the bedroom and the light pours through the huge windows that
    these are just covering. I wanted to show you how they let zero light
    in.


    None

  • 11 years ago

    wonderful.

  • 11 years ago

    Is there enough depth to hang shutters?

  • 11 years ago

    In what way do you mean Cindy? For me or in general? In general you can always use a rod that sticks out farthest from the wall to allow for room.

    If you are speaking to me personally, When we open the curtains we also have roman shades and sheers. It looks great. I need to open them more often!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I was asking the OP. If there's enough depth, plantation shutters wouldn't cover up any of that beautiful window and should provide the desired level of darkness.

  • 11 years ago

    ak, great photoshop skills!! That's exactly the setup I'd use. I can't imagine a rod *under* the crown

  • 11 years ago

    Gotcha Cindy. Thanks Linelle. I agree. I am not a fan of hanging curtains too low.

  • 11 years ago

    Here's what O has in 120" length. I have some back tab from them and am very happy with them. I need it completely dark when I sleep, and little light can wake me, which is why I have to wear a mask still because have not put the solar screen on the back windows of our room and the little bit of light that comes through in the morning wakes me up.
    So keep that in mind for your little one, if they are sensitive to light.

  • 11 years ago

    Aktillery, those look amazing!

    Back to the nursery, how about bottom up CORDLESS blackout shades?

    http://www.selectblinds.com/cellularshades/cordless-top-down-bottom-up-blackout-shades.html

    I bought some wooden blinds from them and was very happy with the price, quality, and customer service. Make sure to wait for one of their sales.

  • 11 years ago

    I agree with nosoccermom; for a nursery you really have to think cordless and I would be nervous with floor length curtains. We put the cordless black out cellular blinds from Home Depot in our nursery (hopefully to be occupied any day now!); they look good, they were affordable, we installed them ourselves, and they really black the room out. Your window may be too unusual a size to go with the big box generic stuff, but it's worth checking out for the price and ease of install. Nurseries are so fun and exciting, good luck!

  • 11 years ago

    congrats aviastar!