Software
Houzz Logo Print
dfwillson

Newly-added White Oak floors don't match

11 years ago
Just had new white oak hardwood floors installed in an addition, and had the old white oak floors sanded down. The house was built in 1934, and I don't think the floors were ever replaced.

The team applied the same stain to both floors (Rubio Monocoat Chocolate), but the difference between the floors is clearly visible. The new floors are lighter and less rich in color, and appear to have a different grain pattern. I've attached a photo (new floors on top).

My question is: was this avoidable? I can understand that time/light/elements would have an effect on the old wood, but did not expect the difference between old and new to be so dramatic.

My second question: what, if anything, can be done to match the floors more closely?

Thanks for any insight and recommendations you may have.

Comments (9)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    The new wood has no aging to it and the oak they use now is not the same as the old oak used in 1934 . That old floor has been exposed to many things in its life which have made it a little more able to absorb the stain the company who did this should have been able to compensate with a darker stain on the new wood if it has not been finished maybe talk to them about restaining to see if that would work.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    They would probably have to create a custom, darker stain to try to even out the two but that would work only if the topcoat has not been applied. I would guess that would be at additional cost since it would have been more expensive to do it that way from the start.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Let's see if Ultimate Hardwoods has any suggestions for us. He is a HUGE fan of Rubio...and he's got he NWFA training which means a lot in the hardwood flooring industry. Maybe he'll pop by and add some suggestions.

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    @dfwillson those floors should match right up if there are the same specie of materials. The reason two floors would NOT match up is simple. The sanding sequence is not exactly the same. Did this 'team' water pop these floors? Chocolate is dark and white oak stains excellently. I have done this successfully many,many times in the past. It should all look the same.
    You can email me directly @ woodwize@gmail.com
  • 10 years ago

    Is there any chance that the old floor was red oak, not white oak? I honestly don't believe that old vs. new oak would come out SO differently. There would be some variation, sure, but more like the variation in board colors you see on your original floors. I'm inclined to think the two floors are not actually the same species.

    We're about to embark on a similar project - adding "matching" boards to extend the existing hardwood (c1940) into the kitchen. But we're planning on feathering it in with the existing boards so there's not an obvious transition. Or at least I hope not! Interested to hear what others think about your floor predicament....

  • 10 years ago

    Old English has a product that darkens wood furniture with every application -- the dryer the wood the more quickly it absorbs the product and the more quickly it darkens. I believe it's a liquid scratch cover that comes in a light color, a red color and a really dark color -- try the dark one.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    DO NOT ADD OLD ENGLISH!! A floor is not furniture. As for red to white oak they are the same species so as long as they are the same cut(plainsawn,rift,r&q) they will stain to look the same. I have a ton of experience with site finished flooring and Rubio monocoat. It's a bad job from the pics shown here. I've probably done about 10-12 RMC chocolate floors on oak this past year so I know exactly what it should look like. Call your 'floor guy' back once to fix. If he can't call Rubio and get a recommended finisher to fix it or call me.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    same * spectrum of species.