Software
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

least worst basic appliance brand

10 years ago

I'm moving to a new place that has original appliances - fifteen years old. I want to replace the electric smooth top range with gas and when I do that I'd kind of like to replace the rest of the appliances with something that matches the new range. I'm moving from a house where we did a high end kitchen remodel about 10 years ago with Wolf, Dacor, etc. and I've come to realize I can be just as happy with "lesser" appliances. So I just want something "average" but preferably the least, worst in terms of performance, DB level and reliability. I've looked at GE, Whirlpool and there's a ton of Samsung and LG but I just have a bad opinion of those brands though I'm not sure why. Something I've read I'm sure. I've actually had good luck with any Whirlpool appliances I've had over the years other than a KA range that the stainless steel finish went bad. Other than that range I haven't bought any Whirlpool appliances in recent years so they may not be any good now either. I really like the appearance of the GE slate color appliances but someone I work with had a lot of problems with their more expensive line of GE appliances. And if one goes south then I'm stuck with a mismatch because of that weird color. The place currently has black appliances and I think I would probably do the same if I didn't get the slate as I don't care for white or stainless.

So what do you think in terms of brand?

Comments (25)

  • 10 years ago

    I think you should focus on best in class rather than all one brand. Different brands are better at different appliances. And before I paid to run a gas line, I'd take a good look at induction.

  • 10 years ago

    Okay - that's something to consider. I have best of breed now so I get that. Any recommendations on best average brands in that case? I need to read up on induction. It sounds interesting but I've never really looked into it. Would my All Clad and Le Creuset pans work with induction? Presumably my old extra revere ware pans would not.

  • 10 years ago

    I have been very happy with Bosch dishwashers (multiple houses). So I'd look at those.


    For the refrigerator, since you have an existing space, I would look at what fits first and then choose from there. Ajmadison has excellent search tools on their website and that's how I have searched for which refrigerators fit in the spaces I have had.


    Generally if a kitchen magnet will stick to a pan, the pan will work on an induction range. I have an older Frigidaire induction range that I am happy with but there are more in-depth discussions here from more knowledge people. You may or may not need to upgrade your electrical service for induction. I had a gas line in place and still chose to upgrade my electrical service for induction (and had to buy new pots) and do not regret it for a minute.

  • 10 years ago

    I have liked the appearance of the latest Frigidaire appliances. Suggest you check out their lines and see.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Some All-Clad works, some doesn't. Le Creuset (any cast iron) does work on induction.

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for the suggestion of AJMadison. I just spent a few hours looking at various options there. If I picked what fit my space and had the features I preferred I ended up with a lot of LG other than the dishwasher. I just looked at Bosch as I've heard good things about that brand and have one in another house and it seems to work well. Is LG a decent brand? Maybe I've lumped it with Samsung which seems to get visceral bad reviews.

    From what I could see on AJMadison, you have to have a separate cooktop if you want induction. Is that true? I will have a range rather than separate ovens/cooktop.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    From what I could see on AJMadison, you have to have a separate cooktop if you want induction. Is that true? I will have a range rather than separate ovens/cooktop.

    Not at all! There are plenty of induction ranges on the market. Frigidaire is by far the best value out of them all.

    crl_ gave good advice to look at the best in class for the price, rather than a package. That's always a good strategy, whether you're getting basic or high end appliances. I would probably go Frigidaire for the cooking and Bosch for the dishwasher. Fridge, it would depend on the type. What kind of fridge are you looking for?

  • 10 years ago

    Iirc, ajmadison has the induction ranges a bit buried. Maybe something like choose electric and then filter on the left for induction.

  • 10 years ago

    Okay - found the induction ranges and a lovely Electrolux that has a warming drawer in the bottom. I would kind of like that since I won't have two ovens any more. I'm feeling adventurous so maybe I should get the induction. Most of my cookware is packed along with the only magnet I can think of but I will check out my pans when I unpack.

    For the fridge the main issue is what will best fit in the space which is 36.5 x 70. I'd kind of like to try a French door or a bottom freezer and single door but the single door are too narrow and I don't want gaps on the side. I've had SxS and didn't hate them but there are limitations. I don't want any ice or water through the door. Ideally I'd like black with stainless handles as I will likely get a stainless and black range. I just can't do another stainless fridge. The place currently has black appliances and I like that better than white. So far the dimensions and my specific wants are a bit limiting but there are options that will work.

    Here's a picture of the fridge location.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Are you planning to keep the microwave over the range? If so, I'd encourage induction even more as those don't vent all that well and at least induction doesn't have any gas fumes and less heat. If you will be replacing it but want/need to replace it with another over the range microwave, you might look at a GE Advantium. Not cheap, but it would give you a second oven (they can mircowave, convection bake or speed cook). I had one in our previous house and liked it a lot, though I used it most often in convection mode, second most often as a microwave and only rarely as a speed cooker.

    My frigidaire also has a warming drawer. I think many of the induction ranges do. So if that's the main draw the Electrolux, you probably have lots of options. I think there have been some positive threads here about the Electrolux induction ranges. They were out of my price range so I didn't research them. The main thing I was trying to avoid was the aqua lift self cleaning oven technology from whirlpool as it got very bad reviews at the time. I don't know if it is still in use.

    And yes, I have always found existing spaces limiting for refrigerators. If you post the brands of the ones that fit along with any other criteria you have (ice, water through door, etc), you may get some helpful feedback in choosing between them.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I have an Electrolux induction range. Love it. On my model it isn't just a warming drawer, it's a baking drawer that can go up to 450 degrees. Though it can also be used as a warming drawer if you want.

    Frigidaire is owned by Electrolux, so under the hood their ranges are very similar. Up to you to decide if the features and looks on the Electrolux version are worth the price. Are you looking for a freestanding or slide-in?

  • 10 years ago

    Wow such great advice - thank you! I would love some kind of second oven type option so I will check out all your suggestions. I will have another OTR microwave suboptimal as that is for ventilation. I'm looking at another freestanding range for simplicity since that's what's there now. I'll look more closely at all the Frigidaire and Electrolux models. I think the website I was looking at didn't have all the models as it filtered out Frigidaire when I selected warming drawer.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I don't think the Electrolux freestanding induction has the baking drawer. Personally if I were buying a freestanding induction I would stick to Frigidaire over Electrolux - most of the unique Electrolux goodies are only in the slide in. Compare the specs and features for yourself though and see what you think. GE and Samsung are some other induction ranges to look at.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Holy cow - that Advantium is expensive. Would really have to think about that. I looked at Frigidaire and Electrolux websites and the Frigidaire freestanding model just has a storage drawer and no Electrolux drawer that does anything but warm. I'm really intrigued by the induction now. Based on what I've read it seems my classic stainless all clad, le creuset and carbon steel wok would all work. I have been a little melancholy about leaving my current perfect (IMHO) kitchen but now I'm getting excited about the possibilities for my new, old kitchen. Gad, I hope I don't become as obsessive about this as I was when we did our big kitchen remodel. I feel it coming on though....

  • 10 years ago

    Frigidaire and LG have FD fridges without dispenser in door that would fit my space. Maytag has black with stainless handles that I like but it's 70 and 1/8th inch tall and my space is 70 inches tall. I wonder how hard it would be to adjust the cabinet to make it fit. I'd really like stainless handles to break up the big black blob.

  • 10 years ago

    Oh that's too bad that frigidaire no longer has a warming drawer in their induction range. I think the price is lower now than it was on my model, maybe that's part of the reason.


    There may be microwave-convection ovens for over the range that are cheaper than the Advantium. They would lack speed cooking, but still have both microwave and convection bakining capabilities. I haven't ever bought an OTR model, so I don't really know what is available.

  • 10 years ago

    In my last kitchen I put in an Electrolux induction slide in. I LOVED it! I loved it so much that I tried to take it with me, but the buyers insisted it stay with the house. <sniff>. We had the secondary oven, the lovely blue interior and all rolling racks. It was so very pretty!

    We successfully used All Clad, Lodge and Le Creuset with ridiculously rapid cooking times. Only thing it that was an utter fail at was wok cooking. Just couldn't generate enough heat. I bought a flat bottom, carbon steel wok, but it just never worked well. YMMV.

  • 10 years ago

    Good to know about the wok. I think in general carbon steel is supposed to work. I did find some more reasonably priced OTR microwaves with convection baking so I will probably do something along those lines. I'm getting closer to some decisions and much better ones than I would have made without your advice. There is no rush as long as the current 15 year old appliances keep working. Though at age 15 there probably is a rush.

  • 10 years ago

    Okay - here's what I think so far.

    Fridge - Fridgidaire Gallery FD (black blob but it fits the space perfectly)

    DW - Bosch 800 series

    Range - Electrolux freestanding induction

    Microwave - Electrolux OTR with convection

    W/D - Electrolux IQ Touch 5000 (based on laundry forum feedback)

  • 10 years ago

    I like all your choices except the OTR microwave.

  • 10 years ago

    Hvtech - do you not like the microwave because you don't like the OTR concept as a whole or you don't like that specific microwave?


  • 10 years ago

    OTR microwave is not adequate ventilation for an induction cooktop, unless you don't plan on actually cooking anything on it.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm sticking with the OTR for now though I know it's useless for ventilation. I don't want to incur the additional expense of reworking the cabinets to place the microwave elsewhere or the expense of adding the ductwork for an exhaust fan. I have a Ventahood now so I get the value of that but I've also done just fine in other situations with an OTR microwave. This place has an exhaust fan in the nearby laundry room. I've never seen that before. I thought maybe it was there in case you burned something in the kitchen you could suck the smoke out being that there's no hood in the kitchen.

    Went to the appliance store tonight and now I'm rethinking everything. I really do like gas and I really prefer a slide in range so I have to see how I can make that work (it has freestanding now). Also might be relatively easy to make a minor adjustment to cabinet above fridge so I can get the fridge I prefer.

    I can see why I never wanted to build a house. I get overwhelmed with analysis paralysis when I have to make choices.

  • 10 years ago
    What did u choose for the range?