Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_3917757

Need help choosing paint/stain for coffee table

13 years ago
I bought this 1960's coffee table last weekend and am in the process of stripping and sanding it down. I like the natural look but want to bring down the golden tones. This is my first post so my apologies if the picture is sideways.

Comments (17)

  • 13 years ago
    Check rustoleumtransformations.com They have a cabinet product that might work for your table.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks very much to both of you! I was leaning towards gray, thinking of one called Granite by Cabot but will check the rustoleum site as well.
  • 13 years ago
    I think once you sand and do a coat of polyurethan the wood it will look great as is. But, if we saw your other furnishings, you will get the best ideas. I'm not diggin' the gray idea on the gray carpet.
  • 13 years ago
    The golden tones may be from the stain that was used originally. As Darzy said above, you may want to try just sanding it down and seeing what color the wood is in its most natural state... a satin-finish poly (not gloss) on top of the raw natural wood might give you something that works well for your taste.
  • 13 years ago
    Darzy and jporter make great points about the current stain or discoloration of whatever was used to seal it originally.

    I'll add though in terms of stain - if you do decide to try this option you might want to mix a couple colors to get to a shade you like. We did that with an unfinished piece of furniture. It took some experimentation but we ended up with a shade we wanted.
  • 13 years ago
    Take care when sanding.
  • 13 years ago
    It will be replacing the brown ottoman and aligned in front of the long sofa on the right. I'm thinking of getting a couple of small cube style footstools for in front of the loveseat. Please excuse the clutter!
  • 13 years ago
    If the coffee table is oak, you might want to consider a cerused finish. It brings out the wood grain with white, and also leaves some of the natural wood color instead of turning it gray.
    Look online for instructions...
  • 13 years ago
    sounds interesting! I think I will keep sanding and see what the natural colour is. Thanks everyone for the input!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    eztia - that's gorgeous! There are a lot of examples in this ideabook.

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/renovation-material-cerused-oak-stsetivw-vs~2366168
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Be careful sanding, it looks to me that the table top is veneer, which is typically thin material . You don't want to sand through the veneer
  • 13 years ago
    Where are my saved ideas?
  • 13 years ago
    No real advice, but great admiration of your fantastic find!

    One small piece of refinishing advice: if using a chemical stripper test it on an inconspicuous area first (like the underside). I once stripped a piece that was originally a pale, cool tan with a badly damaged clear finish and the stripper darkened the wood considerably. Still uncertain what kind of wood it is and did use a citrus based stripper, which may have made a difference, but thought I'd give a heads-up. I'd hate to see that gorgeous table get messed up in the process of being improved.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    cwolpert...I would definitely sand to 220. One of our favorite things to use on these types of projects is either General Finishes or Old Masters Gel Stain and Gel Finish. The Gel Finish (gel varnish) is a wonderful DIY finish that gives great results on golden toned wood. It has an amber tone like most varnish or poly, so not "water clear". (We do custom furniture, so we little about this...haha.)

    If using General Finishes, I'd use a Colonial Maple or American Oak Gel Stain and then a Satin Gel Varnish.
  • 13 years ago
    Please let me repeat my earlier warning, TAKE CARE WITH SANDING!

    If you look at the "edging", it is clearly veneer.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for the sanding advice! I was wondering about that. The table is super solid and weighs a tonne, but the wood grains didn't really make sense for solid pieces of wood.