Shop Products
vkasindi

Go bold with orange sectional? Or be safe?

I'm wanting to replace my 20+ year old black leather sofa and love seat that is in my family room (which is open to the kitchen). I originally thought I would get a sectional in dark gray or black but I saw a beautiful leather sectional by Elite Leather in a bright orange (reddish-orange). How crazy would it be to invest in an orange leather sectional? Or should I play it safe and stick with gray or black? If I do go with orange, should it be the bright reddish-orange or a more muted orange? I posted three pics of my family room and one of an orange sectional by Elite Leather. The sectional I'm considering is a different model but it is this exact color. I'll post in the comments a picture of a chair in the other orange color I'm considering. All thoughts and comments are appreciated!

• 8 years ago
    Will do! I'll update with the decision and then pics once it's delivered.

Post pics would love to see what you decide and how it shapes up. No matter what you decide I think its going to come out great!

• 8 years ago

vksidi...I know you and your friend says the sectional with fit fine but I must say I too think it will overwhelm the space. The style of the sofa feels "heavy" and the dinette table/chairs and the bar stools are more "delicate" looking. Scale in the space(s) may look off. The sofa looks like it belongs in a huge family room or basement with a 60" tv. Food for thought. Now, if you don't mind the sofa "taking over" the space(s) that is your decision. It IS a great looking sofa. I actually love it but think it's too large for your space.

• 8 years ago

I think something like this would work nicely in your space. A sofa with chaise, chrome legs to complement the kitchen table/stools. The legs will give the illusion of more space as well.

Orange Sofa with chaise

• 8 years ago
    Go for it! When you see something and fall in love with it, it is meant to be. Don't play it safe- that's for sissies. Make a bold statement, and then incorporate other touches of shades in orange throughout the house to tie it together. The marvelous thing about orange is that there are so many shades of it... Just like any color I guess but orange is so vibrant and positive and warm. Love it!
  • 8 years ago
    I respectfully disagree. I fall in love with lots of things, but they would not be right for my home.
    You see this on Houzz all the time!
    Especially with massive, leather sectionals, unfortunately.
    Please consider a neutral sofa and bring in accents of orange.
    The sectional is too bulky and the wrong scale for your beautiful light and modern space.
  • 8 years ago

Sing this in a tuneful voice

I agree..... With Sandy C.........

• 8 years ago
    So for an update, I went back in the store to take another look in light of comments regarding the size/bulkiness. Setting color aside for a moment, I saw that this sectional is actually not bulky at all (especially compared to the standard sectional that is by nature bulky). Since it's considered a contemporary design (per Elite Leather) it's seems more compact, like it could even fit in an apartment. While there, I also looked over all the color swatches with pictures of my family room in front of me. I'm very glad I went back to the store (thanks to all the comments here) because I'm now confident of the decision I made. This morning I ordered the sectional in the darker orange. Here are the pics from the store (configuration on mine will be flipped). The pics are a bit misleading though,since they make the sectional look bigger then it really is, especially with all the stuff around it. Sectional should be delivered in about 6 weeks. I'll update with pics once I get it in my house. Thanks everyone for your comments!
  • 8 years ago
    I too think the sectional is too big for the space and the orange though delicious will make it overwhelming. I would go with off white leather or light grey in a smaller sectional and Orange in accents instead, going for interesting shapes and textures, or white sofa and an orange armchair and ottoman in a light modern style
  • 8 years ago

I'm glad you feel good about your decision. It IS a great looking sectional. I like that the contemporary legs are visible. Good for you for not playing it safe! We can't wait to see it in your space.

• 8 years ago

I like this orange. From the photo, it doesn't look too large. You know better what would work in your room.

• 8 years ago
    It does look great and less massive in the new pics, the scale is everything in this case and love the darker orange.
  • 8 years ago

Well, I must say, given the plethora of grey/beige/brown sofas and sectionals (including at my house! I have one of each!), I'm looking forward to seeing a WOW type piece for a change!

• 8 years ago

Im not a fan of brightly colored leather sofas anywhere(maybe on some very rare occasion it works). A much more classic option is a cognac sofa and you wont get tired of it.

• 8 years ago

Well, if you're happy, we're happy! Looking forward to the pics! :)

• 8 years ago

A relative of mine purchased a red leather sofa. It really makes a nice statement in the room, more so than a neutral color.

However, when it was time to replace my family room sofa, I went with brown.

• 8 years ago

@vkasindi, I really like the one you ordered. It's not the same as the one you showed in the beginning of this thread (although you did show it in the middle of the thread). So I think people who were saying "it's too big and bulky" were talking about your original pictures.

Good for you, going bold!

• 8 years ago
    @orangecamera I think you're right. That was my husband's theory too, that I needlessly created confusion. I put up a picture of the other sectional because I thought it showed the color better.
  • 8 years ago
    No, I saw the one posted in the middle. I am not a fan of sectionals or leather that's all. Seating all in a row on a sectional is not as condusive to conversation as a smaller sofa and two chairs. You have made your decision and as long as you like it that's all that matters :)
  • 8 years ago

Go for orange. We had two beautiful Red Italian leather sofas and they lasted for 15 years. It was point of discussion for al our guests. We were moving away from state so had to sell. I wish I should have brought them with us. Ours was a small living room only but the way we arranged sofa and love seat we didn't feel it's crunchy. Enjoyed them and the style so much. I will post pictures later. Do not have on this device now. By the way where can you get elite leather sofas. Which stores here.

• 8 years ago

Please post us a photo once it is in place!

• 8 years ago
    @Mas noc, I found it at Nebraska Furniture Mart in Texas. I think you can find more sellers on Elite Leather's website.

What about the Vero Beach in Orange?

• 8 years ago
    I already ordered the sectional but that is a beautiful sofa!
  • 8 years ago
    Post pics please.
  • 8 years ago

Congrats on sticking to YOUR taste. I love orange and have loved orange forever so getting tired of it doesn't register. Plus does being neutral mean it can't get boring?? I would be over gray before the delivery truck pulled out of the driveway. Color speaks to each of us in different ways, and what it says to you may be a world away from what it says to someone else.

• 8 years ago
    I had a bright orange sofa for years I loved it but I did purchase a very soft high grade leather and found it did get stained and I could not get it out on one end. Maybe with a darker color or lower grade of leather this would not have happened
  • 8 years ago

Orange is outrageous! Love it.

• 8 years ago
    I have a red leather sectional that I have had for several years. I love it and have no regrets. It becomes a design focal point that u work off of. It adds so much to a room, absolutely get the orange, u won't regret it!!
  • 8 years ago
    Do you have an update? Has your sofa been delivered?
  • 8 years ago
    I finally got the sectional! I absolutely love it!
  • 8 years ago
    Although I advised you to go only with orange accents I have to say it is a very nice sectional. I am very glad that you love it.
  • 8 years ago
    Looks great! Thanks for the update!
    Enjoy
  • 8 years ago
    Good for you! I knew all those naysayers were wrong!it looks fabulous.
  • 8 years ago

Well, vkasindi, I was wrong and you were right: it looks great! Have you thought about getting a new sofa table as well? I think something a little less rustic and chunky would make the space look even better :)

• 8 years ago
    Coral - not orange- playing off the turquoise backsplash in the kitchen would be really fun. Next add plenty of turquoise and coral accents.

i love it (even though i didn't like the idea initially!) and i especially love how the colours of the nude painting draw in colours from both kitchen + family room. well done.

• 8 years ago
    I tried taking some better pictures. Here are more with 2 new pillows (still looking for the right ones and open to suggestions).
    I love the orange, I actually think it will inject energy into your space where as the current ones are dead.
  • 8 years ago
    I was also having doubts about the coffee table. Will be keeping an eye open for something that fits in better.
  • 8 years ago
    Looks fantastic and really plays on the art, and the rug under the table in the kitchen. Great job...you had the vision and it works!!!!
  • 8 years ago
    Fantastic! As I read through the entire thread just now, I kept thinking, "Oh, I hope she goes big and brave." And you did. It looks fabulous in this space,
  • 8 years ago

Good decision! Now for a bit more excitement above the mantel!

• 8 years ago

It looks lovely in your room. The room looks cleaner and larger with the sectional than with the two sofas.

• 8 years ago

It do look amazing! Good thing you outvoted us all. Sometimes the person who lives there knows best. ;-)

• 8 years ago

This thread was suspenseful! Looks beautiful!

• 8 years ago

Looks great! Love how you have orange hints in the dining room rug as well. Good for you for sticking with your choice!

• 8 years ago

Looks super! So glad you went bold and beautiful. As far a coffee table, I like your current one but I do think a more McM style would be perfect.

Isamu Noguchi Coffee Table with Cherry Wood Base · More Info

• 7 years ago

Good for you!!! It's beautiful! I'm going through the same debate with myself. A custom MCM sectional in a burnt orange linen-like fabric or an a medium blue that is bright enough but still leans toward navy (called admiral). I have a very small space (a 1956 home) but again, the sketches by the craftsman are custom to my measurements. I also have flood issues (flooded Memorial Day 2015 and spared by an inch on April 17 this year) but you can't live on a box store futon forever. I really wanted orange leather too - I'm at a loss what to do. Guess I should start my own thread :) Congrats for following your instincts!!!

• 7 years ago
    Love the orange. Several years ago I took the plunge on a red leather sectional. I never had any regrets and still have it. U want to make a statement and if u aren't afraid of color , go for it