Software
Houzz Logo Print
gc530

How do I decorate this wall?

10 years ago
Need help on what to put on this long wall and what dimensions. The wall is about 14.5 feet and the table is 8 feet long. I know it's important not to get something too small but I am on a budget ! The 3 chairs side by side are about 65". If I get some kind of artwork is it supposed to be more or less than 65" wide? Should I try a set of mirrors ? The paint color is Benjamin Moore collingwood. Thanks !

Comments (19)

  • 10 years ago
    get a mirror and hang it long ways...will make the room appear bigger and brighter by reflecting the light ....I have one similar hanging vertically, bought it from pier 1... relatively cosy effective =) ... hope this helps.
  • 10 years ago
    sorry... I meant hang it horizontally =).... or get three pieces and hang them equal distance apart .... check out restoration hardware
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Absolutely beautiful room! Yes, a mirror or some quiet art...If you like photography, take a peek at my profile, perhaps the Minimalist portfolio. You have beautiful taste; whatever you find will be great. Enjoy the hunt!

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks - but how wide should the set of mirrors or art be ?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You can always get a beautiful painting/mirror and the then add on to the side to give you the width. You can do plates/platters one either side of the art. Sconces with candles on either side. Or, three corresponding pieces. If you do not have the money for all three, buy one at a time. Place in center, get two frames of corresponding size, color and frame pieces of beautiful wall paper, fabric, etc until you can afford the others. Never feel obligated to purchase a big painting just for filling an area. Buy what you love.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Ideally your art should take up 2/3 of wall, roughly 10'. Unless, you are putting something in the corners to take up some wall space.
    gc530 thanked HMH Development Inc
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I will say up front, we provide images to designers who know their stuff far better than us...BUT I would say you'd want to cover roughly the size of your table. That would leave a nice margin of about 3 ft. on each side of the wall. If you're looking for more bang for your buck, perhaps a mirror in the center and then two portrait-oriented pieces of art on either side. That way, you aren't buying expensive huge art and you eat up a bit of space between the artworks and the mirror. Plus, your light fixture would look pretty in the mirror!:)

    gc530 thanked Chris Zec Photography
  • 10 years ago
    It looks great so far, but I don't think you can fit eight chairs around an 8' long dining table.

    What are the room dimensions? Can you put two chairs against the long wall with a console table in between them?

    Does the table have a leaf?
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    jane, 3 chairs on the side of a 96" table allows 32" per person...................do you not think that is enough?

  • 10 years ago
    I think the chairs on the end look a bit crowded too. I'm sure if in a pinch you can make it work but for every day a little breathing room would help this very lovely room. I love the chandelier by the way. Found this art on Horchow; a couple candle sconces to flank it would look nice and give a pretty , flickering glow.
    gc530 thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • 10 years ago
    Maybe I am way off.

    I think 8' is enough for three chairs (32" for each) if there are no place settings at the heads of the table. But unless the table is super wide, the place settings for the chairs in the sides won't be evenly distributed - they will be clustered towards the middle. So I am guessing you lose about 12" off each end. So it is really 6' distributed across three chairs. Is that enough?

    I thought by table was 7' w/o the leaf and six chairs are tight. But I checked and it is only 6'. So I am probably wrong.

    I am guessing there are guidelines for this...
  • 10 years ago
    Whoa - I was way off. I apologize. I should have checked before I made the comment. According to the Internet, a 72" x 42" table will seat eight.

    So a 96" table should easily seat eight or ten. Looking at that photo, I am having trouble imagining that. But I have long arms!
  • 10 years ago
    Jane, I think the table is not so very wide so the three chairs are squished in the middle to accommodate the chair on the end being pushed in. Oh, guess that's what you said:)! Anyway, I would move the chairs on the ends and give the others some breathing room. We're on the same page !
  • 10 years ago

    You don't really say what you're looking for - just art? Is there room for a sideboard? I would have to agree that the table looks crowded. At the very least, consider removing 2 of the side chairs to set on the wall with the sideboard (if you choose to have one) and then you can place the art or mirror above the sideboard, and let the sideboard guide the size of the art piece. Then, when you need the additional seating, you can squeeze them back in.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Use a tryptic painting to span the large wall.

    gc530 thanked Design Intervention
  • 10 years ago
    Gc530, is it an optical illusion because I will apologies too! Looks like there isn't much room but could be the camera angle!
  • 10 years ago
    You might also consider a collection of art glass or plates instead of a painting. This instillation of baskets is also striking.
    gc530 thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Saw this post and thought of your beautiful room...inspiration? The simplicity of your room is what is so lovely and refreshing.

    Lakeside Living · More Info

    gc530 thanked Chris Zec Photography