Software
Houzz Logo Print
jencurreri

Backsplash help

10 years ago
In the process of renovating the kitchen in a house we just purchased. Cabinets are getting painted white and I am installing a Quartz countertop (MSI Calacatta Vicenza). I wanted to do a flat white subway backsplash and frame a section behind the cooktop where I will put the subway in a herringbone pattern. My dilemma is I don't know whether to use the standard 3 x 6 subway tile or to go with a smaller 2 x 4. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (47)

  • 10 years ago

    I vote standard 3 x 6.

  • 10 years ago

    Is this your plan? It's lovely.

    Kitchen · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    Yes I love that! I just can't tell the size of the tile from that pic.
  • 10 years ago

    The subway tiles in the above picture is 2 x 6.

  • 10 years ago
    2x6 looks good in the photo for a similar size backsplash
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I'd go with the 3" x 6" for the field tile and the 2" x 4" for the insert above the stove. The insert will stand out better if it's a smaller contrasting size from the field tile. Or you could use an even smaller mosaic if the tile comes in that size.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you so much!

  • 10 years ago

    Hi Patricia...the herringbone design I was thinking of behind the cooktop or are you referring to the iron decor from my picture? The picture is from the realtor listing pics...that isn't staying-I hate everything about the decor in the original kitchen-in fact when we closed on the house the first thing I did was rip those valances down and remove that iron piece behind the stove. Thanks for your input.

  • 10 years ago

    I am also installing Calacatta Vicenza MSI Q this month! There are not too many pictures online of this product installed. Also painting my cabinets white with a dark blue grey island. What color white paint did you use? I am thinking of BM White Dove

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    What's dated now will be the next "in thing" tomorrow.

  • 10 years ago

    Hi @debradavis1137...I ended up painting my cabinets the same white to match the trim work in the house. This was recommended to me by a friend who is an interior designer. The cabinets, counters and backsplash are complete-next up is refinishing the wood floors to be less red and more of a rustic brown.

  • 10 years ago
    Wow what a complete difference!...are you going to inject any color?...since the island is simple and and the base a different finish this would be a perfect spot to add a little relief from all the white...even a slight change from the rest would add a little more interest and personality..
  • 10 years ago

    It's hard to see in he picture but the surrounding walls are painted Sea Salt by SW. It's a pretty blue/green. I want to see how the floors come out and how everything looks once I add barstools, lighting and a few other touches. It's hard and a slow work in progress since it's a vacation home in another state! Thanks for the advice :)

  • 10 years ago

    What color white did you paint the cabinets and trim? The kitchen is beautiful. I am installing the same counters very soon.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Looks great. Brightened the kitchen up.

  • 10 years ago
    Mary, thank you so much! I'm not sure what the exact color the cabinet guy ended up doing. I just told him to match cabinet paint to trim. So sorry I can't be more helpful! I've actually called him a few times because he forgot to put the bumpers on the doors and he won't call me back!!! If I happen to hear back from him I will try to get the paint color. Good luck with your project :)
  • 10 years ago
    @jencurreri how are you liking the MSI Calacatta Vicenza? I am about to pull the trigger on it, but am worried it looks a bit too "artificial" as it has some specks in it, like an ink jet printer, when viewed at very closely. Is that something you or anyone else has ever noticed? Thanks for all of the stuff you have posted already!
  • 10 years ago

    I decided not to use the Calacatta Vicenza. I thought it looked too artificial also. I went with Super White Quartzite and I love it. It's a natural stone and very durable.

  • 10 years ago

    perkonomics, yes I have noticed the pixelated nature of this engineered quartz; I confess thou that on the MSI Calacatta Vicenza the pixels are very fine, way better than most engineered quartz.


    The engineered quartz clearly does not have same shine, gloss, depth and reflection when compared to natural stone;


    plus natural stone connect us with the nature... in such busy and technological society a connection with natural elements better our living.

  • 10 years ago
    I heartily recommend the MSI Calcutta Vicenza! I am just thrilled with my kitchen and wouldn't change a thing. When I saw the Calcutta in person, I (and the countertop company I dealt with) felt that it was a whole lot less pixelated than the other top brands. It has some depth to it and I am surprised how many people ask me if it is marble!
    By the way, I used Benjamin Moore White Dove paint with it and it is perfect!
    Best wishes!
  • 10 years ago
    Debra your kitchen looks beautiful! I am happy with how my kitchen turned out and don't regret my choice! Good luck :)
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for all of the help! A year later and we are finally done with our renovation project :)
  • 10 years ago

    jen, that's a gorgeous kitchen. I love absolutely everything you did. do you remember what flooring (brand/model) you used? I really like it.

  • 10 years ago
    Hi Beth, thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I love the floors too!!!!!! I don't remember exactly but I am attaching a picture of the sample board that has some info so maybe that will help. I used a local store here in Mooresville, NC.
  • 10 years ago
    No!! It's definitely real wood. It's pre finished
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would go with the bigger for sure maybe even bigger the 3x6

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Jen - how are you liking the Calacatta Vicenza? It's one of my "final" picks, but the lighter quartz options are starting to worry me as I have two kids and want this to be "livable" - I've read some reviews online about the whiter quartz "staining" and needing to be cleaned often to get marks, scuffs, etc. off. Are you finding that to be the case with yours? I thought I had landed on Arctic White by MSI, but then saw Calacatta Vicenza and thought some of the "pattern" on it might be more forgiving for everyday scuff marks. However, I'm also waffling back to a gray color. So many decisions! Thanks in advance!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    What color tile did you end up using for your backsplash Jen? I've been going back and forth between the Calcutta Vicenza and the Cashmere Carrara for weeks for my counters.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Super white is dolomite not quartzite. Yes it can still stain, chip and etch. All natural stones will if not properly cared for.

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for the input. That Super White is pretty. I'm pretty sure about going with Quartz though - just can't decide on which one.
  • 10 years ago
    @crissacook I definitely understand the frustration with making a decision. I was all over the place and then just decided to stick with my original choice. I am so happy with how it came out. I have two small kids and haven't had any problems so far. However, this is a second home so it doesn't get as much use as if it were my primary residence. I would imagine that if you cleaned it daily and after cooking/eating it would hold up just fine. I've been told that Quartz is highly durable. Good luck!
  • 10 years ago
    @jmariefarley I used a white subway tile for the backsplash. It's a very bright white.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    jencurreri, you did a great job on your project. You and your family must be very pleased.

  • 9 years ago

    Darcy, do you know the description of the 2 x 6 subway tile? Is it white glass or just glossy white? Thanks in advance!

  • 9 years ago

    Can anyone tell me what the color of the counter/Island, is it quartz or granite in that very first picture?

  • 9 years ago

    DebraDavis1137 I love your kitchen and your backsplash is beautiful what tile is that ?

  • 9 years ago

    @chrisstack my entire kitchen is MSI Calcutta Vincenza Quartz in 3 mm thickness.

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you, your kitchen is so beautiful! Are you happy with your choice?

  • 9 years ago
    Yes I'm very happy!!! I'm actually renovating my other home right now and love this kitchen so much that I wanted to duplicate it! I decided not to only so they can be different!
  • 9 years ago

    Chrsstack,

    so sorry I don't have the manufacturer of my kitchen backsplash. It is a beveled natural marble and the tiles are about .5 by 1.5 inches, comes in 12x12 sheets. I used a white grout. It was pricey but gave a beautiful focal point in an all white kitchen! If you are seriously needing more info, I can do a little digging for you


  • 9 years ago

    debradavis, that is so sweet, I will shop around and see what I can find, but thank you for offering to dig around!

  • 9 years ago

    Jennifer my last question for you, I promise :) Make a long story short, I don't know how long I will be living in my condo (looking to move to a higher floor, but hard to come by). So I would like to keep the cherry cabinets, do you think your quartz would look good with my cabinets. I did get a piece but so small hard to tell if there is enough of the darker color to match.

    I will be changing the terracotta floor, not sure why they put these two colors together. Thank you Jennifer

  • 8 years ago
    Anyone who has put the Calacatta Vicenza, any regrets? I’m leaning towards that for my kitchen but I want my counter tops to be mostly white with just little specks of gray here and there. In some pictures I find Kitchens who have huge chunks of gray and very busy. Any opinions? I was also thinking about cashmere Carrara? Any help is appreciated
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I would not worry about regrets on a backsplash it’s a great area to style texture and design. It is a more porous material but I believe a backsplash is a less risky surface to use it and enjoy its beauty. GO FOR IT❤️

  • 8 years ago
    VERY OLD POST