Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljsquishy

Sheetrock Corner Shape & Entryways Shape

Lisa G
8 years ago

We are 99.9% certain we want to have squared corners everywhere and squared off entryways/archways, but please share your input on why one is better over the other just so we can be sure! Our build comes "standard" with rounded corners and curved arches, but we can request squared at no charge.

My thoughts for wanting squared on both:

-Ability to fully trim out windows and entryways eventually (we will only have baseboards, doorway trim, and window sills when we move in)

-Squared corners easier to transition paint colors

-Rounded corners somehow look cheaper to me?? Or too medical office-like?? I'm not sure why!

-Curved arches are dated or might become dated, or maybe they just don't fit our traditional/transitional style.

Squared entryways:

Curved entryways:

Comments (13)

• C Nettrouer
    8 years ago

I prefer squared doorways & edges

• houses14
    8 years ago

I have all squared corner walls, and some curved and squared arches.

• Oaktown
    8 years ago

Generally best not to transition color, materials, etc. at an outside corner.

I think the rounded corners and arches are appropriate for certain types of homes -- in our area we have a lot of Mission-style homes that probably would look odd with everything squared off.

Good luck!

• clarkandaddison
    8 years ago

In our area almost all homes have square corners, but we did round and have had nothing but compliments from everybody that has seen them. We really like the way the crown molding and baseboards look around rounded corners. I also think the rounded arches look dated.

• Jonnygun
    8 years ago

I think rounded corners are cheaper for the drywallers to finish, and detract from having nice crisp lines in a home.

But, the only rounded corners I have seen all looked like they were done by blind drywallers sanding with 40 grit paper- really bad. They may be just awesome if done correctly.

• ascorsonelli
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Bullnose is usually more expensive (more work). We went with it since we had few un-trimmed corners.

• User
    8 years ago

This must be a regional thing. Where I live, rounded corners would be a very significant upcharge.

• ace_des_travelbug
    8 years ago

I prefer rounded corners, so they don't crack and chip. I don't like archways that are rounded.

Regarding regions, ichabod may be correct, as this just became a standard in our area the last 1-2 years.

• lifetransmitted
    8 years ago

In continental Europe, arches are popular- decorated with plaster finishings. Your home may need to be decorated in a more traditional style in order to carry this through the house?

The square looks a lot more modern I agree. The arches look unfinished in the photo you provided.

If you could finish the arches off, then it could look very elegant. (Apologies if photo is too big)

• sail_away
    8 years ago

I prefer both to be square. With rounded edges on the walls, I notice that the baseboard often doesn't look right, as it is pulled away somewhat from the wall.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

This is an interesting thread to me. I perceive the rounded corners to be quite dated. Others' comments surprise me a bit. Around the year 2002ish friends had newer standard builder grade homes in southern Oregon and Vancouver Washington with these features your considering. They've never been my taste, but it's possible I've never seen it done well.

• ascorsonelli
    8 years ago

Keep in mind you can choose different degrees of bullnose. I imagine a pretty significant round over might look more dated.

If you're trimming everything out though, seems like straight is the answer. But for other areas (i.g. the wall around a toilet nook, a shower's half wall, or an untrimmed entry), bullnose looks more finished IMHO.