Software
Houzz Logo Print
judesta

Help with furniture layout!

13 years ago
I have a one room bungalow and I am having a hard time finding a furniture layout that I am happy with. The space is 22' wide and 17'4" long on the side where the kitchen is with the breakfast bar and and 26'6" on the other side. The problem I am having is that the front door splits the space. The dining room is supposed to be across from the kitchen (hanging chandelier) but I was playing around with the layout. The problem I am having is accommodating the TV in the room and arranging the seating for viewing. I'm also considering a smaller dining room set.

Comments (10)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree the dining table should be placed under the chandelier. It's a bit awkward with the doorway in the middle, but it could mean placing the main seating area next to the fireplace and a corner TV setup.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Thanks so much for the help. Here are some more pics. First, let me say that my house is not usually this messy! But we were playing around with the layout and now things are all over. There are stairs to the downstairs on the other side of the pass thru. I've thought about the bookshelves on either side of the FP and putting the TV on one side but where would I place the seating? For a sofa to face the FP, it's not that deep. If I put it on the other side of the door, seems awkward because the front door splits the two front areas. And, I do have a lot of furniture from different houses and know that I need to edit!
  • 13 years ago
    More pics...
  • 13 years ago
    It looks to me like you need to pull some of your furniture away from the walls. Everything is so pushed back. I think the fireplace area would be a really pretty little sitting area. Maybe with the two chairs you have against the wall with the arch. I would also remove at least one of the sofas. You have very large scale furniture for what looks to be a very small room. A small desk would be nice or a console table beside the door against the wall - you could baskets under a table for storage of everyday things. What are the dimensions of your space?
  • 13 years ago
    I also agree that the dining table should go under the chandelier but your table is also very large! Your buffet cabinet could go under the archway. Also, I would mount your draperies closer to your ceiling. Your home has a ton of charm! Just needs a little time to play with placement!!
  • 13 years ago
    Definately agree with all the above about moving the dining set. I would move the couch under the big window facing the fireplace. . I would also move the two chairs and table in front of the fireplace. I would try the tv next to the door so you can see it from all angles. Move the buffet under that half wall closer to the kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, now that we can see it all, I'd want the sideboard/winerack piece under the opening by the stairs. I still think I would drywall that up so you can hang a piece of art and perhaps some sconces on that wall. Maybe you could get a smaller round table from the same manufacturer and keep your dining chairs. A glass topped table will make it seem like there is more space. Sandra H is correct - your furniture is too large scale for the space. I would get rid of the two large chairs and huge coffee table. For TV viewing versatility try a pair of swivel chairs. I think a smaller sofa and two swivels at the FP would work, but you'll need a smaller coffee table with them. The sofa would have its back to the door and you might have room for a sofa table behind it to serve as a sort of faux foyer table for your fall-in door situation. Place a pair of swivel chairs facing the sofa. The swivels could turn and the sofa would be at an angle from the current TV location so it could be seen. On the TV side try two or maybe even three chairs, your black pedestal table and another coffee table. Try swoop or armless chairs. In the corner by the double window and the single front window, try a built-in bench and storage reading nook that runs in an "L" under all three windows. With upholstery and pillows it will look great. A chaise would work too if you prefer. Love your red rug - that's your accent color! Make it the feature of the FP side and get another red oriental for the opposite side. I'd actually want one under the dining table too. All the drapery rods should be at ceiling level on the sides and those at the other windows should match them. I would have them in pairs at all except the two small windows at the FP. If raising them makes them too short to kiss the floor, consider adding a panel of contrasting fabric at the top or bottom.
    Contemporary Virginia Beach Swivel Occasional Chair · More Info

    Rebecca Leather Swivel Chair · More Info

    Swoop Upholstered Accent Chair, Georgeous Pearl · More Info

    Silhouette Armless Chair · More Info

    Traditional Living Room · More Info

    Contemporary Living Room · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your advice! Great ideas. I didn't think about putting the sofa over by the FP and making that the man seating area, but still leaving the TV where it is so that it is viewable from everywhere. Thanks!
  • 13 years ago
    You're welcome, judesta!