Software
Houzz Logo Print
rrkk7

Dinning chairs idea? I have been looking for the ONE for 4 months..

10 years ago

Hi, I have been looking for the best fit dining chair in our dining room area for 4 months..still hasn't found the ONE. I prefer upholstered dining chairs. Need 4 side chair and two end chair. I am also open to mix match the end chair with the side chair.

The dining table is in dark brown color with polished nickel stainless steel legs.

We are also need one rug under the table, one rug under the sofa. Searching for them....

Thank you so much for your opinions! we really appreciated!

Our place is very neutral, here are few pictures:


Comments (66)

  • 10 years ago
  • 10 years ago

    rrkk7,

    I've been furnishing my home by shopping on the Internet. The UPS delivery service and I are now on a first name basis. Area rugs, tables, lamps -- they've come in the door, and then back out the door.

    It's always an option to order one chair (be sure the purchase policy allows for returns), sit on it, and return it if it's not a good fit (literally). If you like it, order the final five.

    In addition, if you find a chair that you like, but it's too expensive, check on ebay.com, overstock.com, and craigslist.com . You might be fortunate to find your perfect piece at a reduced price. If you live in an affluent area where home owners redecorate frequently, consignment shops can be a good resource.

    - K

    rrkk7 thanked K 2
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Hi rrkk7, the TC chairs are very nice definitely. If there is a store called Cantoni nearby you, TC is one of the manufacturers they offer. If not, follow that link K2 posted and someone from TC should get back with you re: a local retailer. However, if I recall correctly, TC is at or above MGBW's price level. But, as mentioned earlier, sometimes you can find vintage or "gently used" TC chairs them for less than retail $ on sites like Chairish, Viyet, 1st Dibs....and yes eBay (and other sites as K2 mentioned) from time to time.

    You're right that purchasing 6 chairs can add up....so please do share what budget you're comfortable with, and that'll help us source better options for you.

    rrkk7 thanked avery2pt0
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    rrkk7, first of all I would like to say you have a very sexy space here. I would not skimp on the "look" of the chairs (price aside). The table is a good look and yet it is generic. You will want to get some statement pieces for your table. Is there any particular style you have seen that you like/love? I also don't know that you want to do chairs in keeping with everything else. You might want to shake up the elements a little bit.

  • 10 years ago

    I found this chair, what do you guys think? The white wooden chair with gray cushion. It's kinda match with the wall paint and trim a bit. But not sure if it's blending with the whole theme here. Is that work?

  • 10 years ago

    I am looking for a contemporary modern look, I like the MGBW polished nickel chair. But the stock fabric they have is steel, which is almost matching with my dining room wall. It feels like it will blend in with the wall. Will this work?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    rrkk7, I found this chair for all around the table. Upholstered, contemporary with a nod toward a bit of traditional styling. I really feel your space needs this little bit of mixing up to keep it from becoming sterile. You have the traditional aspect of wainscoting, so this fits well with that and your more modern intention. I don't know the price point so perhaps it is the look you can duplicate if you find it pricy.


    Arm Chair | Bernhardt · More Info

    rrkk7 thanked karen paul interiors
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    rrkk7 thanked avery2pt0
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks Karen and Avery2pt0, what you guys think about that white IKEA wooden chair in here? How does this look. will it totally out of place?

  • PRO
    10 years ago


    Patara Dining Chair with Madrid Dining Table · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    I think up to around 500 -600 is a good budget for each chair.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    That IKEA wood chair is not really working in your space. Here is your room with a new IKEA shade over your table and selection of chairs from IKEA that are reasonable possible selections for the room. I think the eccentric shade and slipcovered chairs could be quite nice based on how reasonable the cost.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Given the dining space feels like a walkthrough, I would attempt to give it more presence and a larger/more contemporary and longer style chandelier (and low) would help in this regard. Suggest staying away from white if going with upholstered chairs and I think grey would compliment your wall color nicely. The one below with nailheads is a nice design and works well with your living room furniture as well, which should be considered given its proximity. When you purchase a rug for the living room, try it in the dining room to see if one is needed (may be overkill) and I think I would introduce a third color into the living room with pillows that have the third color to match the rug, but also incorporate the grey to tie the two rooms togehter.

    Capital Hill Residence · More Info

    Upholstered Dining Chair in Black · More Info
    3'10"x6'4" Turkish Overdyed Rug · More Info

    Skyline Decorative Pillow, Mauve-Gray, Down Filler Square 18" · More Info

    rrkk7 thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Maureen, Love the chair!

  • 10 years ago

    Love your dining and coffee table....where did they come from?

  • 10 years ago

    I got them from Mitchell gold + Bob Williams

  • 10 years ago

    Hi Maureen, do we have any options that do not come with nailhead? We prefer something simple without nailhead, I do like the shape and color tho. Oh, will the gray blend in together with the wall fine? The fabric color and the wall seems very close. Thanks much!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Those chairs from Z Gallerie, we have already got the similar style for the counter stool from CB2. The dining chairs I am looking for something upholstered. I like the gray one people shared above. But no nailhead is preferred...

    And yes, i feel plum is not right. I am looking maybe white/silver/gray/beige/brown... something like that?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Please don't pick that same tired chair that gets recommended 20 times a day on this forum. Certainly we can all be more creative than that.

    rrkk7 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    What about these chairs in different shades of gray?

    http://www.zgallerie.com/p-18082-lola-arm-chair.aspx

  • 10 years ago

    Maybe any of these styles? They all are offered in other colors.


  • 10 years ago

    Or something different like in a swivel or rounder back?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Below are 2 of my favorite dining rooms showing a dining table with clean modern lines and low profile, round back chairs.....just to give you a general idea of what this could look like......since I can't PS :-(

    Drummond Drive Residence · More Info

    Contemporary Dining Room · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Or perhaps you like cantilever style legs?

  • 10 years ago
    So many great suggestions! I second the suggestion to stay away from the white wood ikea type chairs. The contrast of country cottage and uber modern doesn't work here. I would also suggest going on Craig's list to get a set of chairs while you seek the perfect ones. It's a drag not having ANY chairs in the meantime!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    And just some more.....

    Note: Price on these I'm not 100% certain of. I do think these are close to (if not in) the budget range you stated above. Just waiting on a call/email to confirm. But thought I'd post in the meantime to see what you thought anyway. :-)

    The 5th style below reminds me of one of my favorite B&B Italia dining chairs (without the B&B price tag, of course!)

    I'll post a pic a dining room example (with the B&B chairs) to give you an idea of how great they look in a dining setting (IMO ;-))

    rrkk7 thanked avery2pt0
  • 10 years ago

    Here's that pic I referred to above.

    Pic 1 shows the actual B&B Italia (Metropolitan) chairs.

    Pic 2 are the replicas.....IMO a pretty good replica (and from feedback I've received, decent quality for the price too).


    Pacific Residence · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Consider breaking out of your neutral palette for the chairs. Your space needs color and texture. How about red upholstery? Those white square chairs don't go with the table or your space. Your rooms could be great if you let them. Don't be afraid of color pops. How about these for the side chairs? You could get a mix of colors.

    rrkk7 thanked suzyq53
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Try something different not the chairs at Z Gallery, everyone has those & they are not really so stylish as everyone thinks. Regarding the slip-covered look, Yes you could go that route. But that might be playing it safe & you need an exciting WOW somewhere... to tie in with the rest of the home. The dining chairs would definitely be the piece to put that WOW factor! So choose, with a little fun & maybe a little color or maybe a retro chair or a more stylish chair, just not the typical one.

    Barclay Elips Armchair by B&T · More Info

    FALSE CREEK CONDO · More Info

    Hudson Armchair by B&T · More Info

    Eiffel Wood Dining Chair by sohoConcept · More Info

    Eiffel Wood Armchair by sohoConcept · More Info

    rrkk7 thanked Cressina
  • PRO
    10 years ago


    Astoria Stackable Dining Chair by Nuans Design · More Info

    Eiffel MW Chair by sohoConcept · More Info

    rrkk7 thanked Cressina
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Love the chairs suggested by Cressina. Really like round back Barclay Elips chairs by B&T.....and the Eiffel Wood chairs remind me of the Holly Hunt ($$$) siren chairs, too. :-)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I think you are 100% right tedbixby, I am trying to be very safe and not sure any other color to add in. I definitely really like the neutral color palate, now just need make a decision.

  • 10 years ago

    Hi all, how does this look? Is the dining chair color too similar as the wall? I think I'm close to making a decision... or choose some other color? lighter gray?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    This is that chair's fabric, and my wall color. I got a sample from the mgbw stroe. Will this make the chair blend in too much? Or this fine? Decision?

  • 10 years ago

    I think the Bernhardt chair that Karen suggested and the Upholstered chair that Maureen posted are great. They are streamlined and simple but still have some warmth to them, they are are not overly modern, which I feel would leave the space looking almost sterile.

    If you like to play it safe, i think chairs like those two would be good, and you can go nuts with a fun table runner and accessories, which are easily changed out.

    Or you could get safe side chairs and go nuts on the two end chairs. With this room I think a nice pop of color would help- a deep vibrant blue or purple,or an eclectic yellow.

    Also a nice large rug under the table is where you could add color-and once again is changeable.

    (I feel for you because when it comes to decor i hate any feeling of permanence or feeling like if i make the wrong choice I'm stuck with it forever and that choice will always stare back at me smugly and spitefully lol)

    Hope that helps!

    rrkk7 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Be careful of getting too much of the same chrome and glass look. Go with upholstered chairs to soften the look.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Remove both of the light fixtures in the room and start over. You don't need a ceiling light other than a new chandelier. Floor lamps might be a better look.

    rrkk7 thanked leelee
  • 10 years ago

    Place the chrome/glass shelves on either side of the larger windows on the back wall. They look odd where they are now. Is there a wall where they could be shown together rather than separated?

    rrkk7 thanked leelee
  • 10 years ago

    Yeah, both the lamps Im planning on remove them. And replace with new styles.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Hi rrkk2, it seems like you may be gravitating toward a more monochromatic look? Or maybe just have more peace of mind with choosing a neutral palette for the larger upholstered ("investment") pieces?

    If so, I think choosing a gray for the chairs that are close to the wall color is ok. Referring back to the first photo K2 posted.....The chairs are pretty much the same color as the walls. But with the warmer wood tones, colorful sideboard accessories and especially the saturated, bolder colors in the art, the neutral, monochromatic look for the chairs work. :-)

    So if something similar is the overall look you like, a mid-tone gray (or perhaps even a bit lighter, similar to your sofa) for the dining chairs should be just fine. But as some others have suggested, maybe "amp it up" a bit more with bringing in bolder or brighter colors in your finishing touches.....ie accessories, art, rug, drapes.

    Mason Mill · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    See what others say but I think two ceiling fixtures will detract from each other. What is the area beyond the table location? Near the sliding doors (if that's what I'm seeing).

  • 10 years ago

    I like the idea of high contrast, but its not my house and you should go with a neutral palette since that's your taste. I do think a lighter grey, closer to the sofa color, will be better than blending into the wall color. I also liked the idea of mixing in wood chairs rather than more chrome. More chrome may be just a little too much of a good thing. Yet, if you bring in texture and pop with your accessories, I think the chairs you are leaning towards could still work.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    rrkk7,

    Since you've been shopping for months now, and it sounds like you are (or were?) close to making a decision on the chair style you posted above....maybe that's the direction you should take?

    Are you still considering/shopping various chair styles? Or maybe it's just about choosing which fabric color now?

    Not completely sure, but it looks like the chair you posted above is the one from MGBW, is that correct?

    If so, was that the "Thompson" steel fabric you posted above? Out of that fabric grade (see below), have you also looked at the silver or maybe even the denim colors?

    If you like the look (or a similar blue color) shown on the chair tedbixby just posted above, another option for fabric that I've seen at MG you may want to take a look at is the "Boulevard" fabrics. This is actually a polyester-velvet type fabric....feels/looks like velvet but is 100% polyester I believe (which makes cleaning spills etc. a lot easier). Btw, we have this fabric (in the light gray) on one of our sofas and really like it. I've also seen it in other colors and really liked it too (especially in the indigo and deep blue colors).

    Here are the various colors in the Boulevard fabrics. The indigo color is also shown in the sofa pictured below.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Here is the Boulevard fabric in the deep blue.

    (I inquired about this color with the designer of this project a while back and she confirmed it was the boulevard fabric).

    Such a pretty color...and I think this would also look great on dining chairs too. May give you that "pop" or contrast you're looking for. :-)

    Downtown Penthouse · More Info

    so maybe get a few more samples (of the different grays and other colors?) and see what you think?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    It might be useful to include a photo of a few designs. Notice the rugs.

    South Tampa Golf Course Custom Home · More Info


    South Tampa Golf Course Custom Home · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Have you given any thought to leather?

    Rocklin White Leather Dining Chair · More Info

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Here are some of our dining room designs. Maybe it will help?

    Chelsea Loft: Dining Room · More Info


    Chelsea Loft · More Info

    Chelsea Loft: Dining Room · More Info

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Artistic Weavers - Artistic Weavers Urban Lainey Charcoal Area Rug #137597 · More Info

    Dinning chairs idea? I have been looking for the ONE for 4 months.. · More Info

    Arm Chair | Bernhardt · More Info

    mkk7, I'm going to once again push for the Bernhardt chair. I don't know the price but would think it is within your budget. I really feel the lighter wood and fabric, along with the more comfortable transitional styling with some nice curves to it, will play so very well with what you have chosen so far. I believe the light aspect of this chair in both wood and fabric will balance well the lightness of your sofa and will also keep the space light and airy next to your darker wall. The chair exudes an air of sophistication without being stuffy, and will warm up the space with it's soft look.

    With regards to a rug for the dining room, I would opt for a very simple pattern that is not angular. I would chose the round shape to offset the straight lines of your furnishings. A gray that is mid-way between the of-white upholstery and gray wall would help ground the dining area. The minimalist approach will also allow for flexibility with your l.r. rug choice. The medium gray in the rug will also nicely anchor your dining arrangement. This one is wool. I don't know the size you need, and I believe this is around 8 X 10.

    If you are able to place a pair of chairs opposite your sofa, I believe this chair (as shown) would integrate the several values of gray and will once again soften the look of your angular pieces and it would keep everything modern without being severe. As you may have noted, I am very much in favor of a room of neutrals with a varying degree of color intensity. Color can come with accents.

    HENRI CHAIR · More Info

    Dinning chairs idea? I have been looking for the ONE for 4 months.. · More Info

    rrkk7 thanked karen paul interiors
  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I don't know if you have considered vintage chairs but we have a few Dining Chairs in stock?