Software
Houzz Logo Print
twocats

Does this rug work?

10 years ago


Not sure about this rug for the living room. I am worried that it makes the room look too cold. I expected the rug to be more faded, which is what we wanted. Any suggestion for a an accent color we could use to bring the whole thing to life? We don't have a coffee table yet, we are waiting for a final decision on the rug before choosing one.

Comments (48)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I love your rug. It looks great in your room. You could pull some blue from the rug for accent pillows on the sofas. Is there any blue int the rug? can't tell from the pic

    twocats thanked pitbulls
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Wood will warm it up, plants, rust accent color, maybe a spot of yellow; and white, wood, or cork lamps lamps.

    twocats thanked saccharineblue
  • 10 years ago

    The color does not show well on the pictures, it is a teal blue, or some people call it petrol.

  • 10 years ago

    It works for me.

    twocats thanked emmarene9
  • 10 years ago
    Some curtains or Roman shades would also help soften the look ,as well as artwork and accessories. I love the carpet!
    twocats thanked Annie K
  • 10 years ago
    Love the rug, sofas and Danish mod credenza. The rug doesn't make the room look cold. The matching color of sofa and walls makes it look bland. Can't see the minor colors in the rug but pull one of those out the rug and throw it on the walls in a light to medium shade. Will make this room stunning.
    twocats thanked Rick N
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Gorgeous rug. I find it traditional and your furniture modern. What is your vision for the room?

    twocats thanked jck910
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I like the combination and would bring the color into other surfaces in the room.

    twocats thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Ideally the rug should be a little larger but I think it looks great with your furniture. I like the coolness of the space and if you add a little wood in the coffee table, you'll add that warm feeling without adding warm colors.

    If you can, move the front legs of the rug onto the rug. It'll add a sense of purpose the rug and make the space more cozy.

    I think a brown faux leather pillow would add great texture and interest to the space.

    twocats thanked RugKnots | Area Rugs
  • 10 years ago
    I think it's beautiful. Personally I'd start with some deep orange throw pillows, maybe some yellow and some eggplant. That probably sounds nuts.
    twocats thanked Becky Harris
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Get some blue up on the walls.



    Metropolitan Tower Condo : ESDS Express Design Services : ELISE SOM · More Info

    twocats thanked JudyG Designs
  • 10 years ago

    With the rug the room is starting to form a personality that should relect YOU. Where have you travelled that you love? What would would you like the room to say about you? I see a carefully edited space, but I don't see the person who lives there. But the rug is great!

    twocats thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    When I saw this video, I thought of your room and how the colors, pillows, furniture, brass accessories, natural elements, art choice, etc in the living room would really compliment yours and your rug is the pefect backdrop. http://houseandhome.com/video/watch-now-small-bright-open-concept-condo/

    twocats thanked Maureen
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    PS found this funky mid century styled light fixture

    Nuvo Lighting Raindrop 5-Light Pendant in Polished Nickel · More Info

    And a couple of coffee tables

    Sculpture Coffee Table in Walnut · More Info

    My fav: It echoes the light fixture and introduces some weight to the room. And it's blond wood to match credenza.

    Homelegance Aquinnah Round Cocktail Table with Casters in Walnut · More Info

    twocats thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Great rug.... nice room! :) Have a nice holiday! :)

    twocats thanked zazfuzzroc
  • 10 years ago
    Rug is great. Only suggestion is to add bit red and orange to perk up the room.
  • 10 years ago
    Lovely! Burnt orange would be a nice accent colour to warm it up.
    twocats thanked Carolina
  • 10 years ago
    Dusty pink, salmon, copper, hot pink, purple, aubergine... All gorgeous colours that would liven and warm it up.
    twocats thanked Carolina
  • 10 years ago

    @Twocats, I remember your dining room thread and loved your choices back then. Now seeing your living room, I'm still loving your choices. You've got fabulous taste. Rug works beautifully with your gorgeous sofas too. Hope to see more progress and more of your lovely home.

    twocats thanked avery2pt0
  • 10 years ago

    Wow! We went out for a few hours and came back to find all these comments :))

    Thank you everyone, a lot of great suggestions. We have decided that the rug stays. We have turned it around and find it looks more faded ( because of the nap of the fabric).

    I agree that the wall should be painted, but this is a rental and we might have to move in a few months. So painting will have to wait for a while.

    We found a painting during our afternoon expedition, I will make a picture in the daylight and post it.

    @carolins: I really like the idea of burnt orange, but not keen on anything pink!

    We were considering a round coffee table, white with very thin chrome legs, but the consensus seems to be wood, walnut finish like the front of the tv unit. Maybe look for a reproduction of the Noguchi table, would that work? We also also like the idea of 2 round tables, one a little lower than the other. Very trendy now, would that work as well?


  • 10 years ago

    Just want to show you what I was thinking about when I mentioned pink ;-) It does work gorgeously with copper and burnt orange. But there we are, if you don't like pink, you don't like pink.

    Plyroom Leggy Side Table & Settanta Coffee Table · More Info

    And yes, I like the idea of the two round tables that have different heights.


    Vintage Nouveau Home · More Info


    Metroloft Condominium · More Info

    Featured Projects · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    @carolins, cute pink sofa, I can imagine Doris Day sitting on it

    I like the two round tables in the last picture. Any suggestions for good websites for nice coffee tables, reasonable prices? I have looked on bol.com to get a list of resellers, but haven't had the time to go through them all. Any of your favorite sites come to mind?

  • 10 years ago
    HK living is the first one that comes to my mind. Think you're in the Netherlands? So am I. Look at the VT Wonen site too. And maybe Westwing? Think you have to subscribe to them. Could be worth checking out.
    Are your sofas Pode?
  • 10 years ago
    Don't shudder, but Trendhopper has some great stuff too.
  • 10 years ago
    Forgot to mention Wehkamp!
  • 10 years ago

    FONQ ?

  • 10 years ago

    Ignore the pink pillow.

  • 10 years ago

    Hi Carolins,


    Thanks for all for all your suggestions. I have not looked at HK Living yet. that shall be done right after I post this :)).

    I have looked at VT wonen, Wehkamp, 4udesigned, I subscribe to Westwing, but have been deleting emails before opening them, been too busy lately! I have looked ar Woonexpress, so Trendhopper does not make me shudder :)), I will check that one too.


    The sofas were bought at Loods 5. Can't remember the name of the manufacturer, but it's a dutch brand, they have nice modern stuff. Let me know if you want the name, I'll see if I can find it. We have been away for a few years and we find that there is a lot more good dutch designers out there. I think the talent has always been there, but not enough at the forefront. We see a lot more creativity, it seems to be encouraged more. At least that seems to be the case here in Amsterdam. Nice stuff out there!


    Merry Christmas, joyeux Noël, fijn Kerstdagen ( hope this is spelled correctly, I am not dutch, I am married to one).

  • 10 years ago

    Picture of the rug now turned around, now looks more faded, at least in person it does. And


    picture of painting we found yesterday.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Sorry but the picture cheapens the rug. The rug is lovely and there's a better picture to compliment it.

  • 10 years ago
    @leelee how so?
  • 10 years ago

    One other issue seems to be the sofa on the small wall isn't a good fit. It's crowding the entrance to the room and looks off with rug placement.

    twocats thanked leelee
  • 10 years ago

    twocats thanked leelee
  • 10 years ago
    Love it!
    twocats thanked Amy Lopez
  • 10 years ago
    And Flinders has fun stuff.
    Fijne kerstdagen for you too, thanks :-) I live close to Groningen, but was born and raised in Amsterdam. Don't get to go back much, but still love it there.
    We've just bought a new couch, but we're thinking of getting a Pode one when we were looking around. Found another one that fitted us better though.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    @Twocats, I really like what you've selected thus far. Btw, sorry if I missed this somehow, but is there room to move the sofa to the left a bit....just so it isn't overlapping the glass doors?

    Also FWIW, if you love the art....definitely keep it. It looks like it works well size wise. And IMO although the art should complement the space in relation to its style and/or the overall direction you're wanting to go (which I think the current piece does), the art doesn't have to necessarily color-match the rugs, accessories, etc. of the room. This is reflected in many of the best-designed, well-curated spaces I've seen published here on Houzz as well as elsewhere.

    twocats thanked avery2pt0
  • 10 years ago

    The table lamp ruins the line of your console. I would replace it with a floor lamp in the corner behind the sofa.


    I think you need two coffee tables, one for each sofa. I'd get two very different modern ones.


    I'd probably limit colors of my accessories to two, one being teal, the other that rusty terracotta from the art (shown below), or the yellow from the art.



    twocats thanked groveraxle
  • 10 years ago

    Having seen your new painting, I'm thinking something like this: lamp and pillows from Wehkamp, bamboo kind of table (I've seen it in real life and it's a nice one, you need a tray on top though) is from Wehkamp too. The small table is from Flinders.

    twocats thanked Carolina
  • 10 years ago

    and...

    twocats thanked Carolina
  • 10 years ago
    One picture looks more faded than the other. But I love the rug!!! I'd love to see an all wood, medium tones mid century coffee table.
    twocats thanked ycity
  • 10 years ago

    Again, thank you all for the great suggestions.

    The lamp next to the tv will be moved. I agree a floor lamp would look better. We want 2 coffee tables, but did not consider 2 different ones, I like the idea a lot, so thank you groveraxle and carolins for your great ideas. The sofa can be pushed by about 10 cms, that's it. It was not easy to find sofas we both like and the exact size to fit that space. We chose this size because this place is a rental, we might have to move again in a few months because of work, so everything has to be moveable and more or less not too big, nor too small. As for the painting, hubby and I have very different taste, I prefer modern, more like the examples leelee gave. Hubby prefers more bold colours. We compromised on this one, unfortunately the picture doesn't do justice to the colours. Some of the blue in the painting is in the rug, and we can go for accessories in a darker teal coulour and rust or burnt orange, also in the painting. The nice thing about the painting is that it is rented for a 6 month period from an art place, this gives plenty of time to decide if it works for us or not.

  • 10 years ago

    I love the rug. Glad you're keeping it.

    twocats thanked Ann
  • 10 years ago
    I really like the painting. And you can mix different styles of art, no problem. Gives your home your personality and makes it interesting.
    twocats thanked Carolina
  • 10 years ago
    Leelee... Love the blue and Aqua abstracts you posted.. Especially the first one. Where are they from?
  • 10 years ago

    Rug is great, I also would like it a little larger, but you can work around it.

    i also agree with taking the lamp off the counsel and having a clean line.

    as far as the art work, it is a matter of feeling,mart invokes an emotion, not just a color match, if you like that painting then go with it. It will be a major statement in the room, then play of those colors with rust, deep orange to give the rug a pop. I like the idea of two coffee tables, but would make them the same if you are going with the artwork. Most modern art leaves me cold but that is me, also more wood to match console is a must to warm up the room.

    have fun and Happy New Year.

    kathy

    twocats thanked Kathryn Bevis
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH