Software
Houzz Logo Print
sparky42

Help! My with tiny Master Bath remodel!

13 years ago
My husband just told me I could redo our master bath and I'm at a loss! It's very small (10 ft x 5 ft) total! We both like granite and would like to take out tub for walk in shower. We also like the sinks that are raised like a bowl on counter? Our colors are turquoise/swiss coffee? with brown accents. I don't even know where to begin! HELP PLEASE!

Comments (8)

  • 13 years ago
    I think your ideas are really great. I've heard others say don't replace a tub with a stall shower unless there's another tub elsewhere (for resale). I'm planning on doing just that in a year or so.

    One thought about the raised bowls - I find it easier to deal with undermount (where the sink is attached to the bottom of the countertop) because you can just sweep stuff into the sink and rinse it away - that's not an option with raised sinks.

    To make the room look larger, I would use large format light colored tiles for the floor, with maybe smaller ones in the shower surround going a few shades darker or lighter. I think I'd reserve the turquoise as an accent - maybe use that in niches in the shower where shampoo etc will live. That way it pops without taking over the room.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    May I suggest you begin by looking through the bathroom section of the Houzz website - enter turquoise and brown - and you will get lots of ideas to start off with. You need inspiration. You can even create an ideabook and add them. I use this function extensively!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    First thing first, you have too much mirrors, I would eliminate the mirror facing the vanity/toilet mirror and limit the new mirror to the size of the vanity.

    I can see a soffit above the tub that serving the air duct, is it also serving other rooms adjacent to the bathroom? I'm guessing you have an attic, if it's possible to run the air duct in the attic and install the grill in the bathroom ceiling I would do that and eliminate that soffit - this will allow you to raise the shower head hight and will create a consistent ceiling which will make the bathroom look bigger.

    I agree with annmarie2 about the turquoise as an accent and light colored tiles on the floor, as well as the tub - if that's the only tub in the house and you are planing on selling the house in the future, keep the tub. You can also use the tile in a diagonal (diamond) shape - this will create an effect of a bigger space rather than long and narrow.

    I have attached couple pictures of raised bowls vanity and diagonal floor tile.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Good news. You have a extremely common bathroom footprint. Very, very common. When you say you "don't know where to begin"... have you found a contractor? I removed the tub in our main bath. We have no tub in our 3 bath house, although, I will say, we have no small children and no plans to move. Removing the tub for a shower is a decision you'll have to make and if its a well designed and functional shower, its my belief you do not lessen the value of your home.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    2 bathrooms your footprint and exact layout

    Bathroom · More Info


    From Mid Century to Contemporary Kids' Bathroom · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    A contractor who specializes in bath renovations or K & B designer can guide you through the process. I would also suggest going to a few local bath showrooms. They often have displays in a variety of colours & styles that will provide inspiration.

    Once you've established your style, a reputable contractor can help you pull it all together. Always order all your products in advance of pulling out your existing bath. Nothing worse than waiting for one part before you can finish installation & use again

    Senior Designer~Urbana-Victoria, BC
  • 7 years ago

    @yarbro home improvement,


    what is that layout called if I were to search for remodel inspiration ?