0

Kitchen Floor Dilemma: Tile vs. Hardwood

Morissa Wagner-Szmyt
last modified: January 15, 2016

We're replacing the tile floor in our kitchen, which is open to our living/family room. My dilemma is do we go with a new tile or run the hardwood throughout? I love the look of consistent flooring, but am concerned about durability in the kitchen and our dog has already destroyed the hardwoods in the rest of the house. I understand putting in hardwood is more work--I'm less concerned about the installation and more concerned about the aesthetic and long term durability.

I should also mention that we're replacing the countertops and backsplash with Carrara marble and white subway tile (like the second photo).

If tile, what kind?

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas!

If the dog has already ruined your wood floors I think tile is the way to go and maybe take that throught the rest of the house. I really discourage my clients with dogs from getting hardwood it just can’t stand up to the constant nails. I actually have 2 large dogs and have laminate that looks like slate through my place 9 yrs later still looks like new.

Morissa Wagner-Szmyt thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
    Sound Painting Solutions

Hardwood all the way! We love it.

Metro Renovations Inc.

Hardwood floor in the kitchen is the "in" thing now. There are a couple of disadvantages though. We all know moisture is woods worst enemy, not to mention falling objects like a plate or a pot will dent your floor. It would look nice to have a continuous floor throughout. A good porcelain tile can outlast wood floor in the kitchen as it can resist moisture. It is also easier to replace a damaged individual tile vs to refinish a hardwood floor. You can tile only in the kitchen area and extend the hardwood floor to the cabinets.

Janine's Residence · More Info

Papas · More Info

There are lots of large format tiles on the market that look like wood.

• fiddleandco

I was going to recommend a tile that looks like wood, throughout, so you get the durability with dogs ( I have several, and totally understand), look of wood, and cohesive look throughout the home.

Cancork Floor Inc.

If you are having concerns with the hardwoods in the rest of the house then there is no point in adding hardwood to the kitchen.

To me, hardwoods scratch and I'm OK with that. I know when they need refreshing (buff and coat) and I know when they need refinishing (full sand and refinish). I'm OK with that schedule.

Not everyone is. If you feel that scratching is a something you don't like about flooring, then tile is the way to go. If you leave the hardwood in the rest of your home (which is a good idea for cost/resale value) then I would look at large format tiles that do NOT look like wood.

• suzyq53

Your space would look so much better with hardwood continuing into the kitchen. Tile is great but it will really chop up your open concept. And I can tell you from personal experience that tile cracks and leaves very sharp edges. Its ok for your hardwood floors to be scratched, that is what real life does. When you say your dogs have destroyed the wood, did you mean scratches or potty issues or eating it or what?

• cathi33

Tile tile tile tile tile. Hardwood in kitchens.....ICK. No matter what you do you will never match anything to look good against the wood you already have. Would love to see how the room with the hardwood is set up....will there be a rug? Some furniture? Something to break up the delineation between tile and wood would make the transition a little less noticeable. We did a floating LVT in our kitchen and it is a totally even transition onto the hardwood elsewhere on the first floor.

Glo European Windows & Doors

^^what can @Cancork Floor Inc. said

• Carolyn Hofer

we have parkay (hate) in kitchen,hardwood floors throughout the house,I like the wood tile having a hard time matching the contrast in my wood floors what to do now any suggestion?

• Deb Kezsbom-Monahan

Engineered word flooring