Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjsilvas85

Decor help

8 years ago
Trying to figure out how to decorate my breakfast nook wall. Right pic is my inspiration, planning on changing breakfast table maybe to round one..

Comments (38)

• 8 years ago
    Pic of my breakfast area..
  • 8 years ago
    First things first I would get a large rug for the eating area. Maybe sisal or jute would look good. This will greatly warm up the space.

The inspiration pic is way over-decorated. It has that Home Goods overdone look that should be avoided. I love the console table and what you have so far. Also love your light fixture. I think you need a rug and some art or pictures on the wall and thats it. Maybe a nice low centerpiece for your table but otherwise Id avoid bringing in a bunch of addiotnal "decor"
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I think you have a beautiful console and love your inspiration photo. Great start with the chalk board...where's everything else? Bring some "stuff" from other rooms to get an idea on height distribution. Not sure about the ampersand pillow, does some one use it in the breakfast nook? If not, would be a great place to store placemats, napkins, etc. Not every dining area needs a rug.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Hi I think your idea of getting a round table is right. How about a pedestal base that looks similar to legs of your inspiration pic and instead of a solid top, I like a glass one. Takes up less visual space and balances the heavy base. Also you might think about some framed antique architectural/garden plans for the walls

• 8 years ago

I sure don't like glass tables. Hard to keep looking clean. I love the light fixture. I also love your simpler version of the inspiration photo. Round table ideas:

Coastal Living Cottage-Round Pedestal Table 48" Diameter · More Info

Artisan-Pedestal Table Base · More Info

Kenley Single Pedestal Oval Dining Table 42"X60" With 18" Butterfly Leaf · More Info

The Dixon Dining Table, Round, 60" · More Info

New Jonathan Charles Dining Table Round Extending Table Walnut · More Info

• 8 years ago

I think a hemp, jute or sisal rug would also fit into your ideal room. How about these drapes (with grommet tops or clip tops to easily open & close):

Herringbone Burlap Panel · More Info

Solid Linen Custom Drapes · More Info

Umbra Clip Drapery Ring for a 1" Curtain Rod, Espresso · More Info

Natural Fiber Rectangular Sisal Rug (12 ft. x 9 ft.) · More Info

• PRO
    8 years ago

Think 1st & 3rd are cottagey, not look of inspiration photo. The second one is interesting. Again not look of inspiration pic but I like it. The last 2 aloof like English antiques. I still think it would be nice to find one w a similar "(Tuscan style) base as your inspiration.

• 8 years ago
    @Blue Booby I just threw the ampersand pillow, I actually have it on my fireplace hearth, just needed suggestions.. Thank you!
  • 8 years ago
    Another pic..
  • 8 years ago
    Any ideas on wall decor besides chalkboard?! Thanks!!
  • 8 years ago
    What about a dramatic horse picture for your art...I see your lighting is more on the rustic side. These pieces of art are from zgallery.com they have great art choices and a few more horse ones as well. I absolutely love the two images below.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Some ideas that might inspire you.

High Rise Condo · More Info

High Rise Condo · More Info

• 8 years ago
    Your room is nice sized so you can go with nice, heavier pieces. I don't like glass either, not because of the dirt showing but because they scratch easily and it doesn't take long for them to become cloudy. I like the idea of a pedestal table and I'd get something visually massive. The chairs in your inspiration picture are too feeble looking (and cheap). I'm sensitive to decor items that are over used and I won't use anything that's trite. I think the horses fall in that category. If you own horses or ride them regularly, then maybe they would be appropriate but otherwise no. It's not my breakfast room though.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Wow so the inspiration photo is your room. Wish I knew that! Now I definitely think simpler pedestal and round glass top. Windex works fine so don't worry about dirty table and use placemats to avoid scratches.

Still like architectural or garden plans. Horses are ubiquitous. For more advice contact me info on Houzz. Good luck

• 8 years ago
    Thanks for decor ideas..
  • 8 years ago
    I rather like the clean austere look of this room! Uncluttered and calm; the beautiful walls and chandelier! Maybe just a large antique mirror and a very good painting, a couple comfortable chairs....
  • 8 years ago

You need art. Lovely room & furniture.

• 8 years ago
    Thank you for all your feedback!!
  • PRO
  • 8 years ago
    Need more ideas should I set chalkboard vertical with 2 lantern on sides, wall too bare w/ just chalkboard..
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Vertical for your room is a better direction.

• 8 years ago
    Suggestions?? Ideas?? Inspirations??
  • 8 years ago

Well I for one love it. Just move it up a couple of inches and it will be perfect.

• 8 years ago

I love it zzmom!

• 8 years ago

zzmom rocks.

• PRO
    8 years ago
    Hi
    I would add a high traffic rug, window treatments and a tall piece of decor on your console. Possibly consider a sconce on each side of Windows.

Great choices so far.

Much Luck
    KHB Interiors in New Orleans
  • 8 years ago
    m j silva s5 I like your idea of the two lanterns on either side of the chalkboard, which I would turn vertically by the way. Then perhaps something low and longer under the chalkboard. I think it's a lovely room and you are off to a great start.
  • 8 years ago
    Thanks Angle and Happylegs...yes the art is still hanging on the old nail from my art I removed...actually just ordered a beautiful rustic wide wood frame for the horse art so as soon as they frame it I will hang it higher for sure. Thanks
  • PRO
    8 years ago

need a large rug ....also add an original wall art will enhance the look ....for more artwork check my shop too....

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PooArtGallery?ref=profile_shopname

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I love this room. Here are my ideas. I like the table because you have room to move around so it is a keeper if everyone can fit around it. But I would flip the bench and the chair; just like it visually.

Love the burlap curtains. I would do the burlap or a grey linen and I would put them on the window floor to ceiling and ten inches out on either side, so double panels on each side. I would make a 2/3 gathered curtain for the glass door so you can get light above.

I would fiind two tall cylindrical glass vases for either side of the table and put very tall light leafy greenery in it.

I would line up tin bins for under the console for place mats, napkins, silverware, etc.

Make a cushion for the bench out of linen type fabric in grey to match the bins.

I would consider lantern type fat candle sconces

A Touch of Normandy · More Info

on the door wall with a very pretty simple Country French Art Print or large clock between them.

Debra Campbell Design · More Info

No rug! Too difficult to maintian if this is everyday eating.

French Country Estate · More Info

This room above is fairly simple. It has a hutch instead of your console but the same look. I am showing the minimalism of the room so you can translate a less stuff in the room look but each piece meaningful?

This has elements of your room! Coponsole wood mirror lantern light tall clear vase with woody stems of greenery.

Hillside Farmhouse · More Info

• PRO
    8 years ago

One of my friends did a chalkboard wall in their kids room and it got really messy with the chalk powder. Something to consider.

I played with your walls a little :) Check out all my artwork here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShoaGallery

Both originals and canvas prints available for this one.

Both originals and canvas prints available for this one also.

Canvas prints available for this one.

I have many other ones available to replace the chalkboard. Check out my site for details: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShoaGallery

Enjoy decorating! You've done really well so far :)

• 8 years ago
    Wood floor and all the black accents and furniture is what really makes your inspiration room...I would work on adding layers of black...if you get a rug I would try to mimic the the look of wood floor go with a rich dark brown rug with some kind of texture in it.
  • 8 years ago
    I will consider all your ideas.. Thank you so much!
  • 8 years ago

You are quite welcome and probably overwhelmed at this point. Thanks for sharing your room.

• 8 years ago
    Found this beautiful round dark stained table and industrial black metal chairs like your inspiration picture...also found this unique brown rug with a a wood grain pattern..good Luck
  • 8 years ago
    Gorgeous black embroidered drapes from Halfpricedrapes.com..would look absolutely stunning on your window with all your black pieces.
  • 8 years ago
    zzmom40 I love that table, I've actually just purchased a mirrored cabinet for my dining area from Wayfair.. Love those drapes too.. Thank you!