Software
Houzz Logo Print
revdebjarv

DatedCabinets?

10 years ago

I'd like to get Costa Emeralda granite (the only blue/green available here in Seattle) and use my existing cabinets. A friend thinks they look "dated" but they are in good shape. (They are 22 years old.) Since these photos I've cleaned and waxed them and they look good. What about updating the cabinets with new hardware? I'm also getting all new appliances and will lose the counter microwave. And since my dog died, will bump out the kitchen island 12" over his eating place and put a couple bar stools there. How do you vote on the cabinets? What do you think about bumping out the kitchen island? How do you like those knobs? Thanks so much.




Comments (29)

  • 10 years ago
    Also, I think new counters and appliances would make a huge difference. I'm not sure about bumping out the island. What is beyond the island? Will that cause crowding in that area with anything else? I think you need at least 4 ft. of width to have 2 barstools (2 ft. per seat) so I'm not sure if you have the width for that? If so, and you have the space, I say go for it!
    revdebjarv thanked Jody
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    why are the trims on the cabinets white and wood on the walls? hardware will help update them. if you are happy with them keep them just take note after the granite is on there's no changing them unless you buy new granite. you would only be able to refinish them or paint them.
    revdebjarv thanked Rockin' Fine Finish
  • 10 years ago

    It's baseboard! I never thought about it but now I think it would look better in oak!

  • 10 years ago

    While extending the island counter would be great in terms of additional counter space (never can have enough in my opinion), jodyfhyland is right in that it's too narrow a space for two barstools. One would fit, but might be kind of odd all by itself. Do you have a child at home or an elder parent who might enjoy being at the counter while you cook?

    revdebjarv thanked S Bailey
  • 10 years ago

    Also, another friend suggested asking the granite installer NOT to glue down the granite because it's not going anywhere. That way I could still get different cabinets in a few years. Is that insane?

  • 10 years ago

    If you do extend the counter, make SURE to get the metal supports put in before the granite goes down....they are invisible and make it so you don't need corbels to support the weight of the granite. Corbels would make that area impossible for a bar stool.


    revdebjarv thanked S Bailey
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Really nice kitchen -- great natural light. If you'd found cabinet hardware you want already before deciding to replace/add it to your cabinets, then I'd say go for it; however, unless there is actually a problem with the cabinet and any hardware you now have, then you should not change or add new hardware on the cabinets -- unless, of course either you're not using knobs or handles and the oil from your hands is discoloring or damaging the wood or you actually just want some new gawdy new stuff to be the focus of your room.

    You don't appear to have the foot traffic walking space to add width to the countertop of the island on either the window side or the opposite side -- the longer sides nearest the ovens -- so don't.

    Since, however, you do appear to have the foot traffic space on the narrow end of the island where the electrical outlet is in the pic (you wouldn't likely want to be tip toeing over the top of the doggy feeding station), you should seriously consider replacing the island's countertop with one that is wider and overhangs what is now the doggy feeding station -- and then either add a barstool beneath it OR, better yet, add a pair of shelves facing out via the side of the cabinet -- facing the photographer -- the side with the electrical outlet visible from your pic. If you cannot match the finish of the current cabinets with the addition, you could deliberately use a darker wood or painted even finish for it. Use the top shelf of that new addition to the island for your microwave to unclutter your primary countertop. The new bottom shelf could then be used as a either a shelf for the toaster oven or other countertop appliance(s) when not in use (to further unclutter your countertop) or as the new doggy feeding station. Really, that small electric tea pot on your primary countertop would take up a lot less countertop space and look a lot less like clutter than the microwave now does.

    If your major appliances work well, then why waste money replacing them for the current fad when you really should wait until one of the major appliances actually needs replacing to choose your new style or color.

    Personally, I'd paint the tow space board something other tan white -- something intended to disappear rather than emphasize it. A medium-to-dark shade of gray that goes well with your new countertops would be a good idea.

    Actual granite used as a countertop is prone to staining per relative that has it. It may be about what, if any, finish is on the granite or personal use, though. You may want to consider Corian or another quality product with a granite look instead -- at least do some checking and get some other opinions from those that have granite before investing in it.

    Something else to consider if you're opting for something other than a solid color countertop: think in terms of what color your would repaint your kitchen walls with whatever countertop you choose and do you want a lighter or darker room.

    revdebjarv thanked suezbell
  • 10 years ago

    not glueing the granite sounds a little nuts, although your friend is right that granite is not going to move easily. The problem is not so much the glued-down granite, but the fact that you're going to have two big cut-outs (sink and stove)... lifting and moving out the granite would be really, really risky because if it broke at any of those weaker places you would never be able to match/fix it. If you think you might change your cabinets (other than swapping out doors and painting), I'd hold off on the granite.

    revdebjarv thanked S Bailey
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I think new brushed nickel knobs on the existing cabinets and new sink, faucet, and countertops will give you an instant upgrade. As for extending the island, it sounds a little tricky from what others are saying. How about looking for a dynamite stool and placing it at the end facing out for someone to sit on while you're in the kitchen?

    Here's another alternative to extend your island--not the right style or shape, but an idea--a lower table in oak with a chair or two, maybe leather with brushed nickel legs:

    East Longmeadow II · More Info

    revdebjarv thanked housegal200
  • 10 years ago

    I second @suezbell 's suggestion of extending the island with a bookcase-- though I'd use it for cookbooks. I'm not a fan of below-waist microwaves unless they're microwave drawers.

    revdebjarv thanked Jennifer K
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for all the suggestions! Appliances are needed now as stove top has only two working burners and one oven is completely dead. That pesky electric kettle will go where the micro currently lives


    . I have 3.5' width to extend the end of the island. Too small for two small bar stools? No kids or elderly but we do entertain a lot. The newspaper on the floor shows how far out the counter would extend. Same area we used to avoid when our dog was alive and eating there. Paint will always be white/cream (except for accent walls) because it's all one contiguous wall.

  • 10 years ago

    Your friend watches too much HGTV:) Very expensive home surfaces should never be termed "dated". At the worst, one can call older cabinets vintage or retro, but not dated.

    You can buy oak toe kick board. You might be able to find it already stained to match your cabinets, or buy it unfinished and stain to match. If you do not like DIY, you can look for a carpenter or cabinetmaker to help you.

    Your sink cabinet does look in need of some TLC. I recently refinished my cabinets and will be getting new countertops in a couple of months. (My oak kitchen is in my idea book - it is a work in progress.) My mother had just some of her cabinets refinished. The refinisher matched her stain and finish very well. You can ask at a reputable paint store for the name of a refinisher if you do not want to attempt it yourself. Otherwise the cabinets do look good and wood cabinets are making a bit of a comeback.

    I do like the dark knobs. There are matching dark cup pulls that are also popular right now.

    I am also getting new countertops. I am also installing a Kohler Whitehaven farmhouse sink (short apron.) This is a bit expensive - the sink for my 36 inch cabinet is $960 but since I refinished the cabinets myself I am treating myself to a new farmhouse sink. This sink fits into a standard cabinet (the short apron version.) I also updated my range hood and retrofitted a cabinet with spice boxes and a plate rail.

    revdebjarv thanked jhmarie
  • 10 years ago

    Jennifer K: Microwave/convection will be on top where current upper oven is positioned. I have a three shelves for cookbooks on the side of the island facing the window. Granite is the only blue/green surface I've found. I'd consider quartz or quartzite but cannot find a blue-/green! It's not trendy color right but I love it.

  • 10 years ago

    Jhmarie: I LOVE DIY and bought supplies to strip, sand and refinish the sink cabinets as they look the worst. GREAT idea to buy oak toe kick board. Thanks so much. I still miss my dog . . .

  • 10 years ago

    Hugs to you:)

    I used Citristrip. It worked very well and was gentle - but super messy job - and if you use it remember to neutralize it by washing well with mineral spirits - otherwise your new poly will not take. Use the back of the faux sink drawers to test stains to match. Since I was going to do all of mine I was not worried about a perfect match, but ended up with getting really close, and in fact did not do the two over the fridge as they were in great shape. Golden Pecan worked for another person. You do not want to have the grain stand out too much. On my hood, since it was new wood, I used golden pecan (regular stain) and Antique Maple gel stain - the gel stain doesn't absorb into the wood so much. In the end it worked out fine. I've used gel stains before, but this was MiniWax and not easy to work with as others - just would not recommend MniWax gel stain.

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for the tips! I tried to Restor-a-finish and it looked HORRIBLE. Just made the grain very dark and it looked worse. Thank God I used it only on two doors. (Worked great on my cherry piano however.) I really appreciate your advice. I am using a extra shelf as my test wood. After pic of shelf is first after Restor-a-finish.



  • 10 years ago

    If you like the blue/green granite then go with it. Everyone knows that it needs to be sealed. I sealed mine and there was still a stain from Chinese food, and I was sick, however, I went online and found instructions on making a paste, and could not believe how it took out the stain.

    revdebjarv thanked shirlpp
  • 10 years ago

    If it's blue-green that makes your heart sing, then you should get it. An alternative to granite in that colour family is glass. Something like this:

    Woodmeister Master Builders - WestWind · More Info

    revdebjarv thanked Jennifer K
  • 10 years ago

    The worst thing about the gel stain is it takes 24 hours to dry - so it made the process very long. It sands off easily if you make a mistake and so easier to control how much gets into the grain. My grain stands out a little bit more, but my cabinets are also a bit lighter than they were. I followed up with 5 coats water based urethane - looks not so good when it first goes on but smooths itself out wonderfully. I used urethane for the extra water protection, but I've heard polyurethane gives a harder finish.

    revdebjarv thanked jhmarie
  • 10 years ago

    Jhmarie: I bought a satin finish polyurethane. I just bought a can of spray since I have so little to do. I'll post the refinish.

  • revdebjarv thanked jhmarie
  • 10 years ago

    OMG, that is hilarious! I just a few minutes ago decided I'll get new appliances (a must) and cabinet hardware. Then I will wait until I meet granite with whom I want to marry and bear children. I'll just be patient until blue/green granite in Seattle is the TREND. Ha! Thanks for the link.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm going to have my cabinets refinished in a light cherry and Costa Esmeralda granite. My question now is which is better to do first: granite or cabinets. I thought cabinets but my granite said no, granite first. I have Formica now (see pix). Thanks for all your advice!

  • 10 years ago

    First replace the granite, then have the cabinets refaced. This way if the fabricator accidentally scratches the wood, it won't matter. Have you considered how the cherry finish will look with your lovely floors? As for the island bump-out. Consider adding a cabinet there where you can store some of the appliances you don't need displayed daily. Keeping your corner counter clutter free will help a lot. If you had a cabinet added onto the end of your island for your toaster oven, cuisinart and mixer, you can utilize your island as a nice big workspace when you need it. Keep that corner for your coffee maker and clutter free.


    revdebjarv thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • 10 years ago

    Contemporary Kitchen · More Info
    Some emerald eye-candy for you! Also, I think this island might be about the same width as yours, so you can see how the stool on the end fits. BTW, when I got my island, I had the overhangs radiused so that I wouldn't hit my hips on any sharp corners.


    Richard St. kitchen reno · More Info

    revdebjarv thanked Jennifer K
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks Barbara. We've got light cherry furniture in our bedroom and it looks great with the oak floors. I like your suggestion about moving the toaster oven to the end of island, because that corner gets crowded when my husband and I are both cooking. But man, oh man, I really don't like picking up that Kitchen Aid mixer. I like where it is now because I can just scoot it forward. I'll be getting rid of the big microwave because I'm getting a micro/convection wall oven. (Two ovens, one a micro/combo.) I'm against clutter too, but sometimes you just need to have your appliances easy to access. I'll take almost everything off the island countertop and put it where the microwave now sits.

  • 10 years ago

    Jennifer, that's a great idea. Can you do that if you have shelving underneath the overhang? Well, then, I guess it wouldn't be an overhang. I'm undecided about more shelving because I think I have enough storage and I really don't want to acquire more stuff.

  • 10 years ago

    I used Costa Esmerelda in my kids bathroom and love it. Quartz coast $800 more and the recycled glass, which is beautiful, was $90 per sq. ft. I have to say my kids are not the greatest at cleaning up after themselves, but I don't have any trouble with staining problems. Good luck!

    revdebjarv thanked love2browse
0