Software
Houzz Logo Print
crystaldenise37

Will doing this devalue the worth of my kitchen?

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

I'm considering renovating my kitchen so that all of the cabinets are painted white. They are currently birch and 9 years old. Whenever I see kitchens online these days, they're always white and beautiful, but I'm concerned this may just be a short trend? Do you think I will devalue my kitchen in the long run because they're already a beautiful birch? Any thoughts would help!

Comments (22)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    White kitchens are considered classic but if you are worried see what sells in your area if you are planning on selling if not do what you like.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I have two kitchens with white cabinets and love them. That being said, every kitchen does not have to be white. I cannot speak to the effect painting your cabinets will have on the value of your home, but am sure that others wil advise you.

    Alternatively, have you considered keeping the cabinets as they are, and perhaps painting the walls white or off-white? That might give you a brighter look. Your cabinets are very nice and look to be in great shape.

  • 10 years ago
    Your cabinets are just so lovely! It would be a crime to paint them only to see them chip down the road. IMO I believe you should add a great backsplash! Maybe up the ante with new hardware. You don't need to change hardware but it may help scratch that itch you have to change things out. You could take a door off and save it in basement. Open shelves is the new trend. Or you could add glass to a few doors.
  • 10 years ago
    Your lighting ( which looks like mine) could be updated too. It's on my own to do list.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    HI -- You do not need to go white . The wood is very nice and all you need to do is put up a pretty backsplash tile .. keep the counters ... then paint the walls a stronger color maybe in the blues and you could even change the hardware to some stainless knobs and pulls . Then add an ( roll -a -round ?) island with a marble or quartz or cutting board top . Then maybe a nice window blind or fabric roman . And yes to updating the lighting and task lighting to LED .

  • 10 years ago

    I agree that your cabinets are very nice. It's the paint color that is throwing things off. Lighten it up, possibly change floors and counter if you need a change. Or even just the flooring..

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    You can get the same "effect" of painting the cabs white but changing 2 things:

    White paint (or a version there of) and white counter tops (expensive but fast). A counter top that is closer in colour to the flooring (nice tiles = no need to change if they are not damaged) and new paint will offer the light/bright that everyone is after without touching the wood.

    But first things first: new paint colour. Live with it for a few more months and then decide on counter tops.

  • 10 years ago

    I agree with above comments. Do some painting etc to update but leave the cabinets, they're beautiful.

  • 10 years ago

    To echo what others have said, I would paint the walls (perhaps a lighter greige), install a backsplash if it's in the budget, get stainless steel/brushed chrome cabinet hardware, and switch out the pendant lights to something more current. I wouldn't replace the counter. I like the dark granite.

    The first photo is a backsplash idea (or you could do white subway tile). The second photo is an island idea, which would incorporate white (check out IKEA stenstorp).


    Bathrooms · More Info

    a symphony of parts - the kitchen · More Info

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    White cabinets are timeless and would not devalue your home.

    But I don't think I would do it.

    1) Your cabinets now have a factory finish. Unless you hire a professional cabinet painter (not the same as a person who paints interior walls and house exteriors), you will be degrading the durability of the finish.

    2) The aspect of your cabinets most likely to devalue your home, based on picture, is most base cabinets have doors rather than lots of drawers. That is a cost slashing tactic of builders more concerned with profit than functionality. A drawer base can easily cost $300 more than the same size base with doors.

    3) Instead of hiring a pro to paint your cabinets, I would retrofit your base cabinets with roll out trays. If you like metal, Rev a Shelf has some. If you prefer wood and adjustability, you can get custom sized Pull Out Tray System from thecabinetjoint.com. It has four notched corner posts and wood roll out trays. They are paired with full extension Blumotion soft close drawer glides and wood cleats that fit in the notched corner posts. You can adjust the space between the trays without tools. The cost is not outlandish, perhaps a little more than a double deck Rev a Shelf. Chief advantage of the POTS is, aside from flexible adjustments, the Rev a Shelf is an obvious retrofit whereas the POTS can be custom sized to take full advantage of your space and looks built in (available in birch or maple, more expensive).

    4) To change the look, consider painting walls. That's the easiest and cheapest fix, and if you don't like the result it will only cost about $150 to change to something else.

    5) Normally, I would paint cabinets only as a last resort to extend their life. For example if the cabinets are structurally sound but the doors are dinged, you can sand, use wood filler and paint. A typical DIY repaint job will last 3-5 years (quality factory/pro paint job uses a special topcoat for greater durability). A pro repaint is certainly cheaper than replacing cabinets but is not cheap. If anything, I would hold off repainting cabinets until you decide to sell and then solicit advice from your realtor if repainting would increase value or speed up sale.
  • 10 years ago
    I'm a huge white kitchen fan but those are beautiful cabinets. Why not swap our countertop for an updated look? Maybe a light colour to lift the light in that room?
  • 10 years ago
    Your cabinets are very nice the way they are. I would leave them. Paint will eventually start to chip off.
  • 10 years ago
    I would not paint the birch. It looks like beautiful wood. If the finish is in good condition, leave them be.

    I would consider changing out the counter tops and/ or adding a lighter back splash. If you have the money, get a White Island for your large middle space, which will make that birch pop more.

    Remember that wood cabin test were very popular in the 70's and 90's, while painted was more in vogue in the 60's, 80's and today.
  • 10 years ago

    I would personally attach more value to your current kitchen over a white painted one. But you live there, if you want a white kitchen - go for it.

    If you are planning to sell in the next year, don't waste the time or the money. You will get neither back.


  • 10 years ago
    I have the same colors in the kitchen. I don't much care for them and prefer white too, but I agree with everyone saying not to paint your cabinets.

    We recently bought some really comfortable pull handles. You'd be surprised how much large shiny nickel handles helps brighten the style and provides creature comfort.
  • 10 years ago

    I'm in agreement with everyone else that your cabinets are too pretty to paint. I agree as well that maybe changing to a quartz countertop that coordinates with your floor and a pretty backsplash, along with a brighter paint color if you like, would be all the updating your kitchen needs.

  • 10 years ago
    Another vote for painting walls (white or light gray) adding backsplash (white tile?) changing lights (glass globes or metal) and maybe changing countertops but not painting cabinets. I think this will give you the feel of the current omnipresent on houzz look but actually be more original.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Keep the cabinets the way they are and update the countertops and add a tile back splash. White kitchens are a trend and they will soon fade out once again as they did back in the 90's. Trends come and go but stain cabinet is always in. If your thinking of selling in the next 5-7 years then think of how much you really want to spend on the kitchen and how much you will get back from it in the sale of the house. I know many designers cringe at the words Laminate but if your on a budget and want the look of granite with out the price tag then check out Wilsonart or Formica brands they have a lot of granite looking laminates at a fraction of the price. If you do a bevel edge and a Karran undermount sink it will look awesome!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would opt to not paint and look at other alternatives to update your kitchen. White painted cabinets are popular now but trends change so it is best to go with what you like. As far as devaluing your home, painted cabinets will show nicks and scratches whereas stained cabinets tend to camouflage these daily mishaps. I would consider a tile backsplash as a classy way to update your kitchen for yourself and for resale.

  • 10 years ago
    9-year old cabinets are not old! They are a beautiful simple shaker style, too. I would suggest changing the counters to Quartz or granite in a color that will coexist with your flooring, which looks to be in very good condition. Add a nice complementary backsplash. The kitchen will feel like new.
  • 10 years ago
    We all agree, you should not paint your beautiful cabinets. Although I disagree with those who say white cabinets are a trend, because they will remain a classic, you will never achieve a factory finish by painting your present cabinets. I think you will find great satisfaction and feel like you have a new kitchen by following the recommended changes others have posted here. Plus, you can do so much for the same amount you woukd spend on new cabinets. It's so exciting! Enjoy your project and resulting new kitchen.